Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

The War Games

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: The War Games   Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:54 am

I loved this! Its fantastic for such a long 10 episode story! It was a fantastic story line, though I don't think the ending was that great. However it was interesting to see the Time Lords in Black and White!

Also, who was the Chief of War? He said he was a Time Lord,and looked and sounded a lot like the Master and the Doctor and him knew each other but its never actually said who he is? Could he be the character whom later influenced the character of the Master?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5984
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The War Games   Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:10 pm

It truly was fantastic. I never got bored with it. I am curious, though. What part about the end did you not like? Was it the forced regeneration? Or just the main story resolution? I never considered the War Chief to be the Master. Hmmmm, probably not, but it would be an interesting twist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: The War Games   Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:34 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
It truly was fantastic. I never got bored with it. I am curious, though. What part about the end did you not like? Was it the forced regeneration? Or just the main story resolution? I never considered the War Chief to be the Master. Hmmmm, probably not, but it would be an interesting twist.

Well I didn't particularly like how abruptly both Jamie and Zoe were taken away and their memories wiped. I also didn't like the forced regeneration, yes, but I didn't really like the fact that the Doctor himself didn't solve the problem in the end. I think using the Time Lords was both an easy and interesting way out.

However, I still loved it! it was fantastic! Highly recommened to anyone who hasn't already seen it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5898
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: The War Games   Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:52 pm

If I remember right, the old FASA RPG did go with the notion that the Meddling Monk and the War Chief were previous incarnations of the Master.

I don't buy it though. There can't be only ONE evil rogue Time Lord
Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The War Games   Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:07 pm

They sure did. It as in their The Master game supplements. But the book also had the cool drawing of a bearded Master in black Timelord robes that inspired my custom.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5984
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The War Games   Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:15 am

Yeah, the departure of Jamie and Zoe was kind of abrupt, but thankfully it was at least heartfelt. It's all Patrick Troughton. He was genious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo

Number of posts : 2159
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The War Games   Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:03 pm

Scarywood wrote:

Well I didn't particularly like how abruptly both Jamie and Zoe were taken away and their memories wiped. I also didn't like the forced regeneration, yes, but I didn't really like the fact that the Doctor himself didn't solve the problem in the end. I think using the Time Lords was both an easy and interesting way out.

However, I still loved it! it was fantastic! Highly recommened to anyone who hasn't already seen it.

The forced memory wipe on Jamie & Zoe irked me as well. It struck me as nothing less than theft. I was ok with the Doctor's punishment, sort of. Pat was leaving, Jon was coming in, so of course there had to be a regen. But, again, the theft of Jamie & Zoe's experiences, their friendship not just with the Doctor but each other as well, what they'd learned during their travels, &c., really just struck me the wrong way and spoiled what was a really darn good story, so much so that I don't think I've watched it in years, maybe more than a decade now. I probably should give it a 2d chance though.

And as for the War Chief, I just saw him as yet another renegade like the Master, Monk, Rani, &c., and yet I can also see where the writers could have used the Chief (& even the Monk perhaps) as prototypes for what became the Master.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The War Games   Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:22 am

Is this on DVD?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5898
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: The War Games   Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:48 am

Yup, Zoe and Jaime got shafted- 'guilt' by association.

I thought that there was hope with Legend of the Cybermen with Doc 6, but from what I have read, it was still not to be Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: The War Games   Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:24 am

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
Is this on DVD?

Well it is here in the UK, that's all I know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The War Games   Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:40 am

Scarywood wrote:
Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
Is this on DVD?

Well it is here in the UK, that's all I know.

Yes it is. For a while now!
http://www.whona.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=DVD050&Category_Code=PTDVD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
denali76c

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: The War Games   Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:05 pm

i just happen to watch this recently too. first time too. the other rogue time lord kinda reminded me of the master. it would have been cool to learn more of his back story. the whole "he's too fat..he's too old" bit at the end was classic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: The War Games   Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:11 am

denali76c wrote:
i just happen to watch this recently too. first time too. the other rogue time lord kinda reminded me of the master. it would have been cool to learn more of his back story. the whole "he's too fat..he's too old" bit at the end was classic.

Agreed Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The War Games   Today at 1:21 pm

Back to top Go down

The War Games
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: