Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:23 am

SeaDevil wrote:
I'm sure it was a firm and "quite articulate" third degree. You English are so polite when you get angry! Laughing

Haha, not everyone, especially not the younger generation. I use proper tactics when I'm angry though. I find the way that I word myself more effective in a heated debate, rather than screaming my head off and throwing punches like most people do. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:09 pm

Queue Star Wars theme music....

DUNNNNNNNN DUN DUN DUNNNNNN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNN DUNNN....

Introducing the Death Star Space Station playset!

This is the set that was taking forever to arrive and the one I'm having trouble with on eBay at the moment, but considering this was my main Christmas present I'm glad to finally have it. cheers

There'll be a full lot of photos soon! Very Happy

Oh and also, part two to the previous review:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5984
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Glad you finally got it from that guy. Looks like from the review it's in really good shape, too! Also looks like droids and lifts don't get on very well... Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
Glad you finally got it from that guy. Looks like from the review it's in really good shape, too! Also looks like droids and lifts don't get on very well... Laughing

Yeah, I don't think it's been played with in years, that's why. My sister won't leave it alone now so hopefully it will loosen up a bit... That being said, I hope she doesn't break it neither. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Nice! Seeing that sure brings back some great memories. Glad you were able to get it.

I like the cameo appearance of the Tardis console piece!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:37 pm

rdks wrote:
Nice! Seeing that sure brings back some great memories. Glad you were able to get it.

I like the cameo appearance of the Tardis console piece!

Thanks mate! Yeah, my desk is a messy place so there's all sorts on there. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:59 pm

As promised!

Picies of.... Le Death Star!

Average day on the Death star...

Not anymore...

"Blast them!"

Inconvenient Death
"Move, Stormie!"

"Urr, everything's fine here, situation normal..."
"What happened?"
"Urrr... Slight weapons malfunction, give us a minute to lock it down... Urr highly very dangerous..."
"Who is this? What's your operating number?"

*BANG* "Boring conversation anyway!"

"Oh, did we miss the fun?"

"Look, a not very well hidden secret door!"

"Oh.... Hi...."

"Come on - down the lift - lets go save le princess..."

Meanwhile, Ben is deactivating the tractor beam.

"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan..."

*Insert bad impersonation of a lightsaber noise here*

Back downstairs, the gang have reached the prison cell...

"Help!"
"Artoo, see if you can open the door with your gadget thingys."

*Weet-woo-weeeeeet-wooooooooooooooooooooooooo* (Apparently R2-D2's beeping noises...)

Everyone celebrates the Princess' freedom... Besides Han...

"If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you could ever imagine."

*Above their heads*

*SLICEEE*
"NOOOOOOOOOO!!"
"Shullup, Luke..."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Awesome pics!! You must be so happy to have that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

Number of posts : 2730
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:56 pm

I've been able to buy all the olde playsets I once had (that I wanted), except Palitoy Death Star (which I wish someone would reproduce).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:08 pm

Awesome, scary!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm loving it!

@Amagon: No, no, no! affraid Reproductions are bad! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Captain Ironmac

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:41 am

glad you finally got it m8
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:20 am

Scary wrote:

Only way to get what one wants at times. Transformers fans would have been having heck if it were not for the re-issues of the Generation 1's, several years ago, otherwise they'd have to deal with swindlers selling originals for hundreds of dollars, and often broken ones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:34 am

The Castellan wrote:
Scary wrote:

Only way to get what one wants at times. Transformers fans would have been having heck if it were not for the re-issues of the Generation 1's, several years ago, otherwise they'd have to deal with swindlers selling originals for hundreds of dollars, and often broken ones.

If Hasbro remade it then it wouldn't be so bad, however bootleg reproductions from sellers on eBay that try to pass off fakes as the original thing is not good. Recently someone called 'Mark Poon,' an infamous conman amongst the Star Wars forums, started re-manufacturing fake vintage Stormtroopers, which is actually illegal since Lucasfilms Ltd. still owns the rights to Star Wars for the next 70-odd years, and is selling them as the originals. It's hard to collect a line when you don't know what is genuine and what is not.

The Imperial Gunnery luckily documents all fakes and reproductions in their archives so collectors can attempt to safely avoid un-genuine repros. Here's a link: http://www.imperialgunnery.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:35 pm

Scary wrote:
The Castellan wrote:
Scary wrote:

If Hasbro remade it then it wouldn't be so bad, however bootleg reproductions from sellers on eBay that try to pass off fakes as the original thing is not good. Recently someone called 'Mark Poon,' an infamous conman amongst the Star Wars forums, started re-manufacturing fake vintage Stormtroopers, which is actually illegal since Lucasfilms Ltd. still owns the rights to Star Wars for the next 70-odd years, and is selling them as the originals. It's hard to collect a line when you don't know what is genuine and what is not.

The Imperial Gunnery luckily documents all fakes and reproductions in their archives so collectors can attempt to safely avoid un-genuine repros. Here's a link: http://www.imperialgunnery.com/

Personally, I don't mind if such and such is a bootleg/knockoff if it's good. For example, Hasbro can't make the original Mirage, since they said the molds are beyond repair, but a bootleg is available and it's pretty darn good quality, and tells me that Hasbro missed an opportunity. Mattel, when making their Masters of the Universe re-issues in early 2001, they bought some sealed, vintage figures from evilbay and used those to make new molds. Hasbro could have done that, but no. They could have had a good seller, but were either too dumb, lazy, or cheap to do it. Also, I am an anime figure collector, and they are tough to get, and if some knockoff/bootleg is made of the figures I want, and are a good quality, I'll get them, since both Revoltech and Max Factory, so far, are NOT bringing their products here, despite there being many, many anime fans (contrary to what some folks will tell you) being here in America. I want the Melancholy of Haruhi Susumiya Revoltechs and Figmas, but so far, no luck. And when a company is not bringing their stuff over here, one has to either: 1: Pay an arm and/or a leg to get the legit ones from evilbay...and hope they actually arrive 2: Get a good quality knock off. So, one has to do what one has to do to get said figures if they want them. But that's just me. study

Anyhow, playsets seem to be a lost art, now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Hmm, I can see your point. For me, if I'm collecting something then I'll want the actual thing or it will just feel like the whole point in it is being taken away... If I'm going to buy fakes then I may as well just make my own. But I can see how it may be a good thing for others.

The thing with vintage SW stuff is that, for the most part, there's lots of it available - some things are more expensive than others but there's still enough of them on the market. Which only means that fakes are purely for profit, and for those that want original stuff it really does ruin the hobby. Neutral

As for playsets being a lost art, I completely agree. They add something special to one's collection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Scary wrote:
Hmm, I can see your point. For me, if I'm collecting something then I'll want the actual thing or it will just feel like the whole point in it is being taken away... If I'm going to buy fakes then I may as well just make my own. But I can see how it may be a good thing for others.

The thing with vintage SW stuff is that, for the most part, there's lots of it available - some things are more expensive than others but there's still enough of them on the market. Which only means that fakes are purely for profit, and for those that want original stuff it really does ruin the hobby. Neutral

As for playsets being a lost art, I completely agree. They add something special to one's collection.

Plus they offer a good storage unit if big enough. Castle Greyskull, the original one, is huge, and one could probably store 30 figures in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:18 pm

Yeah, most playsets have little compartments to store weapons and such, too. Not only that but they display really well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:57 pm

Got quite a lot of new stuff to share!

First off; three figures I bought from eBay, all from different sellers however they all arrived on the same day, so that was nice to come home to! All are ESB figures: Bespin Luke, Bespin Han and Hoth Leia. LOVE them all!

And then I got a parcel this morning from the very good Bobamatt who sent me Greedo, Zuckuss and Bespin Luke! Greedo is brill, he's so retro. Zuckuss is actually my favourite of the three - the current story line in mine and my sisters' game is that Zuckuss is an old, mysterious, unknown enemy of Vader's and he is actually a real person in a metal suit with his true identity still yet to be revealed! Razz And then Bespin Luke, I really wish I'd held off from buying the one that I did now! However this spare will not go to waste, Dad grew up with these figures so it will be a nice nostalgic treat for him to add to his collection that I have given him on Bobamatt's behalf. Smile

Upon closer inspection, the two Luke's do seem to differ in slight, but quite a few, ways. As I received the one I had bought from eBay first, I did actually think he looked a bit odd in comparison to images I had seen on the internet. Of course, the one Bobamatt sent me has clearly been loved and played with, whereas the eBay one is rather new still. But now comparing them I can quite clearly see a few differences, and my thinking is that the eBay one might be a Lili Ledy variant of the figure (Lili Ledy was the Mexican company that made Kenner toys, like Palitoy was the UK's version of Kenner).

Bobamatt's one on the left, one off eBay on the right:

The faces look quite different. The same sculpt, I think, but different paint applications.

The belts are quite different too. I forgot to take a picture of the sides and the back so unfortunately you can't see it, but in person you can see that the holster is much larger on the one bought from eBay. As for the front though, the lightsaber is attached with a black strip whereas the other isn't (molded on to the eBay one, not Bobamatt's one, so it's not like the paint could have chipped off neither), d'ya see it?

Anyhow, I'm very grateful for all these, thanks once again Bobamatt! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Congrats on your new additions, scary!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks, Sea! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:39 pm

In the late 1980's, the county fair we have over here actually gave out Jabba the Huts, with the jointed tail that would move the head, as prizes at some of the booths, like the darts, or ring toss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:09 am

The Castellan wrote:
In the late 1980's, the county fair we have over here actually gave out Jabba the Huts, with the jointed tail that would move the head, as prizes at some of the booths, like the darts, or ring toss.

Blimey! That's cool! I've been trying to find a reasonably priced Jabba but they're quite high on eBay - naturally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:30 pm

A few pics of my overall collection. Smile

A New Hope:

Empire Strikes Back:

Return of the Jedi:

As you can see, I have very few ROTJ figures. Laughing

I do have 29 in total though, and 1 more in the post to me. So only 69 more to go until I have a complete loose collection! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:25 pm

I know that bakdrop... I had that...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Today at 5:16 pm

Back to top Go down

Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Collecting-
Jump to: