Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:12 pm

I just started collecting these figures loose a couple of weeks ago. I've always admired the vintage line. There's something about it that really gives me a buzz. I think it's the fact that my Dad and my Uncles used to have them when they were younger, and it's cool to think that I own toys that kids did 32 years ago, not to mention that awesome retro feel and the outstanding packaging and box art!

Here are the figures I have somewhat 'inherited' over the years;

And here are the ones I have bought out of my own money over the last two weeks. It's not much but I hope it's the beginning to what will be a complete loose collection!

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:27 pm

I agree, there's something about vintage that just makes them great! What a neat little collection that you've inherited! I love R2 there and his shiny dome. Very Happy
~
Back to top Go down
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:02 pm

LtViperPilot wrote:
I agree, there's something about vintage that just makes them great! What a neat little collection that you've inherited! I love R2 there and his shiny dome. Very Happy
~

Yeah I think he's awesome too! I found him in a little toy box when my grandad was clearing some stuff out. Mum said it was probably my uncle's. From what I gather he is the only figure of my uncle's collection that survived a house fire that they had years ago. I'm glad to be his owner!

What also makes him special is that he was the first vintage Star Wars figure I ever acquired. I remember when I first found him, I was so excited to actually have a vintage figure. Although they are quite common on eBay, however pricey, because I didn't have a computer back then and had no access to knowledge on the vintage line, it felt like I was holding gold. Dad had always talked about the figures he used to have when he was younger and it just made it more special.

Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:46 pm

I just saw this thread. These Star Wars figures are what started all this for me all those years ago...(in a galaxy far away?).

It's interesting that the R2 (Periscope R2 as we called him in the day) was your first of these figures, the original R2D2 was my first Star Wars figure (oh, if only he was still in his 12-back box...).

I completed this set in the early 90's. The last figure I got was EV-9D9 (one of Jabba's torture droids). And then, just a few short years later, Hasbro goes and makes a new line of Star Wars figures.

And now we have the 12" Gentle Giant versions of the Kenner classics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5982
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:28 pm

I 've always loved that R2 figure. It's just so simple, yet so cool. I can't explain it.

I'm one of the lucky folks in that my parents helped me collect these little guys. I am proud to say that i have all the original Kenner figures. I am also lucky that I have all their accessories, because I was always careful with my toys and kept them in the Darth Vader or C-3PO storage cases. My first figure collection and perhaps my most treasured.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:37 pm

I used to have every single one of those... actually, I had all of the figures from all three movies with the exception of the mail-away Boba Fett. It still upsets me that my parents made me get rid of them in 1986.

I even had BOTH versions of the Jawa.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:37 pm

i used to have a lunchbag (you know, the brown paper sacks), filled with all the original star wars toys. they were all in great shape, no paint chips or fades at all. one of my sister's boyfriends stole it. always hated that guy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Wed May 25, 2011 6:01 am

I should really get some more of these. If not just a a Luke, Han, Leia, Ben and Threepio. The ones I have now are getting lonely! Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whofan 1138

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2009-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Wed May 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Cool ! Takes me back... I still have a few. Bespin Luke( he was/ is my favorite),Bespin Han, Endor Han & Leia, and a one armed X-wing Luke are all that remain of my vintage figures. Still have a few of the playlets, though... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sat May 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Just got Luke, Ben, Stormtrooper and Han Solo on eBay for some fantastic prices! Mind, I don't think any of them have weapons with them, but I'm not too bothered about that to be honest. Smile

Pictures soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whofan 1138

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sat May 28, 2011 4:45 pm

cool, scary !!! Smile do post pics. now that my computer is fixed, I'll post some pics of my old stuff, soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sat May 28, 2011 4:49 pm

whofan 1138 wrote:
cool, scary !!! Smile do post pics. now that my computer is fixed, I'll post some pics of my old stuff, soon.

Ooo yes! I'd love to see someone else's vintage stuff! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whofan 1138

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sat May 28, 2011 4:57 pm

o.k. I'll take some newer photos, tonight. I'll have to get everything out of my closet and set up a place to take pics. but, a.s.a.p. , I'll upload them. cherry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sat May 28, 2011 5:01 pm

whofan 1138 wrote:
o.k. I'll take some newer photos, tonight. I'll have to get everything out of my closet and set up a place to take pics. but, a.s.a.p. , I'll upload them. cherry

That's awesome! Very Happy king
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sat May 28, 2011 6:33 pm

They are great, I had some of them and they were just about the right size to play along with my Dapol Who Figures and playsets - wonderful memories.

I had a action figure collection of batman, ghost-busters, star wars and Dr. Who + odds and ends and they all played together in my bedroom... many hours Dr. Who drove the bat-mobile while the Dakeks invaded the Ghost buster firehouse, the bottom of the firehouse stood the TARDIS console as it was being worked on by R2d2... the hours I had playing with them and boy they all show it from the condition they are in hahahaha

Looking at the Star wars figures can you imagine if these were classic who figure... all we would hear - "they are to small, the don't have articulation at elbows, knees and wrists... blah blah blah
Back to top Go down
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sat May 28, 2011 6:56 pm

ogron wrote:
They are great, I had some of them and they were just about the right size to play along with my Dapol Who Figures and playsets - wonderful memories.

I had a action figure collection of batman, ghost-busters, star wars and Dr. Who + odds and ends and they all played together in my bedroom... many hours Dr. Who drove the bat-mobile while the Dakeks invaded the Ghost buster firehouse, the bottom of the firehouse stood the TARDIS console as it was being worked on by R2d2... the hours I had playing with them and boy they all show it from the condition they are in hahahaha

Looking at the Star wars figures can you imagine if these were classic who figure... all we would hear - "they are to small, the don't have articulation at elbows, knees and wrists... blah blah blah

Unfortunately some people just don't care for old toys because of their lack of detail and articulation. In my opinion they are better than new figures. Take Boba Fett for example - I'd choose the Kenner version over any Hasbro version anyday of the week. Even if hhe doesn't have what a Hasbro one might... I don't know what it is but he's just so much cooler! Very Happy

Anyway, that's cool to hear about you mixing your Star Wars figures with your Dapol Who stuff! That's a great idea, I should probably get some Daleks as well to fight some Stormies! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sat May 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Scarywood wrote:
ogron wrote:

Unfortunately some people just don't care for old toys because of their lack of detail and articulation. In my opinion they are better than new figures. Take Boba Fett for example - I'd choose the Kenner version over any Hasbro version anyday of the week. Even if hhe doesn't have what a Hasbro one might... I don't know what it is but he's just so much cooler! Very Happy

Anyway, that's cool to hear about you mixing your Star Wars figures with your Dapol Who stuff! That's a great idea, I should probably get some Daleks as well to fight some Stormies! Razz

yeah great days -

Just for you I got out my oldest surviving who toys. I got the K9, Cyber and Dr when I was about 4 years old and the Dalek when I was about 6'ish... spot the damage hahaha

Back to top Go down
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sat May 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Haha! Ah, thanks for the pic! I dunno what it is but I just love to see battered toys. It shows that they've been loved and played with. It must be a very unique feeling to have your original toys that you must have played with for years on end so long later. I hope I keep hold of my old toys, just for that feeling, if nothing else!

As for spotting the damage, Cybie has lost his handle bars (could be Attack Controoler perhaps? Razz), the Imperial Dalek seems to have yellowed a little, K-9's head looks sort of wonky (might be the angle) and the Doc actually doesn't look too bad! Razz

I love it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sat May 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Thanks Scary wood, dont forget these come from the time when a home PC cost a fortune, the Sega and the NES were as good as it got for home gaming (I never had them) there were 4 channels on TV and Dr. Who was in good old VHS format. I only got toys at Christmas or on Birthday with the RARE item in between and was thankful for what my parents could scrape together. My point is my toys were and are loved and hold a special place in my heart. Em thrilled to still have them today and hope to have them for many more years as a memories jogger.

Well done on spot the damage, K9's collar has pooped out so the head looks crooked + he has no ears lol and the Dr's thumb is missing, so much for trying to get him to zip line down from the dark tower (Ghost busters fire house should I say) to a chair haha
Back to top Go down
whofan 1138

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sun May 29, 2011 12:11 am

cool pic, Ogron Smile

as promised :

Dagobah with Bespin Luke

Back to top Go down
View user profile
whofan 1138

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sun May 29, 2011 12:13 am

Hoth Imperial Attack Base w/ Bespin Han

that Han was also my stand in for Indiana Jones, as a kid Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whofan 1138

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sun May 29, 2011 12:17 am

what's left of my Land of the Jawas set w/ Jedi Luke

the Ewok village w/ Endor Han & Leia

I do still have the fire pit accessory. can't find it at the moment, though...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
whofan 1138

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sun May 29, 2011 12:21 am

and Jabba w/ Luke and Salacious Crumb

the play sets actually hold up well for the newer figures, too...

that's it... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sun May 29, 2011 12:54 am

Wow great sets, Real vintage toys there. I had the Ice one, looks like they were well enjoyed years ago. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures   Sun May 29, 2011 12:58 am

Sniffs, I miss my Death Star Playset. Sad
Back to top Go down

Vintage Palitoy/Kenner Star Wars Figures
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Collecting-
Jump to: