Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Most unique/unusual item in your collection?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
happydalek

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:16 pm

I have a pair of Doctor Who Viewmaster reels from the 80s. One set is "Full Circle"; the other is "Castrovalva." One of the sets (I forget which one) had the coolest image of the empty TARDIS set; it's so cool to look through the Viewmaster and see the console in the foreground and the walls in the background!

In the 70s, if you wrote to the BBC asking about Tom Baker's scarf, they would send you back a sheet of instructions on how to sew it. I have one of those sheets, which is not a big deal today, as much more accurate instructions have come out, but it was so cool to obtain back in the day when it was much harder to obtain any Doctor Who-related thing in the US.

I have a bunch of fanzines, which give great insight into how fans perceived Doctor Who at the time -- I have one called "Dynatrope" from around the early 80s, where the reviewers lavished praise upon "Mawdryn Undead"! Seriously! It's so interesting to see what kinds of things people focused on and wrote about, back when factual, research-based information about the show was not as readily available as it is now. My favorite amateur publication of all is "Time Loop," which showcased Doctor Who artwork by little kids. I still have those Doctor Who Bulletins (the one that eventually started covering other SF shows and changed its name to Dream Watch Bulletin) from the Colin Baker years, where they were so horribly scathing and mean; those are kind of unpleasant to read, but again they serve as fascinating examples of what people were thinking at the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Who North America

Number of posts : 5691
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Happydalek, any time you want to get rid of your Dr Who collection let us know - we are always looking to expand our Dr Who collection room Wink

Anyway, our pride and joy is the Dr Who Danbury Chess set, now happily being displayed in our collection room. Keith tells me when it first came out, you can only buy one piece a month until you complete the collection - and considering how many pieces it takes to make up a chess set, that took a while!!

I particularly love the detail on the metal figurines - just beautiful!

Jany
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whona.realtvboard.com Online
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:25 pm

My little brother is going to have a hand-knit 4th Doctor scarf as part of his Halloween costume this year. I'd say that's a unique item, although many people have reproduction scarves.

As for me, nothing yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:02 pm

I have odds n' ends pieces of the doctor who pinball collection. The real cool thing is that I have a prototype dalek head cast from the pinball machine...one of a kind. He may not be too pretty to look at...bits of puddy and patch work on the base..but was a great gift from a sculptor friend of mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:33 am

I would have to say all my plush characters I make myself. Very Happy cheers No I do not sell them. So don't even ask. Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
Who North America

Number of posts : 5691
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:09 am

TheDoctor88 wrote:
I would have to say all my plush characters I make myself. Very Happy cheers No I do not sell them. So don't even ask. Razz Laughing

Pictures, please Very Happy

Jany
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whona.realtvboard.com Online

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Who North America wrote:
TheDoctor88 wrote:

Pictures, please Very Happy

Jany

ok. Smile will do.
Back to top Go down
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:02 pm

my green k9 is of course a personal favorite in my collection....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:50 am

My classic Dalek Supreme. monkey pig
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:33 am

Most unique is definitely Gemini. He wasn't the first Dalek to introduce the idea of being "good" but was the first one to really drive home the concept of Daleks being adorable. I wasn't sure how my little 2.5" Dalek would fit in with the rest of the toys, as he was small. But Gemini came to life, not just in pictures and in stories, but play as well. Tonight even, dad argued with him and I fell off my chair protecting my precious little Dalek.

Gemini didn't spark the "good" Daleks, but he certainly won a lot of people over between the DW comms on LJ to Face Book, real life, and even on this forum. And you know what, for something that's apparently an inanimate object made out of cheap plastic, he's certainly won a lot of hearts, hasn't he? Smile

~
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2141
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:29 am

For now I'd say the dalek tang.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:18 am

My favorite are my two customs..Cyberhorse and Kroton!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:20 am

Doctor Who Annual 1980.

Not unique or unusual at all today, but having it in 1980, in Canada, when I was 8 years old was very unusual. My uncle from Wales, who introduced me to the show a few years earlier, gave it to me for my birthday. No else had any Doctor Who merchandise other than Target novels. My friends used to beg me to let them read it. I still have it today, complete with all my 8-years old scribbles, colourings, and notes inside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5966
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:34 am

My prized collectibles are my Doctor autographs. I have Pertwee through Tennant, with Billie on my photo with Chris and Catherine on my photo with David. I also have Peter Cushing on a Star Wars photo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neonlogo

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:55 pm

I think I've shown this before, but it's my bound, Editors' copy of THE DYING DAYS. Had it for years...Kind of awesome.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://youtube.com/grubgun
Scary

Number of posts : 7474
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:34 pm

I own Doctor Who. Yeah, you heard me. I OWN DOCTOR WHO! Razz

*Wakes up from dream*

Aww, man!

Laughing

On a serious note though, I own a canvas of all the first ten Doctors. It's an awesome piece of art work and hangs awesomely behind the shelf with my Doctor's line up. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadow Dalek

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:39 am

neonlogo wrote:
I think I've shown this before, but it's my bound, Editors' copy of THE DYING DAYS. Had it for years...Kind of awesome.

Do you see the date at the bottom of the page with the date somehow altered, this is my exact birth date, which I am quite proud of as it is the Doctor who anniversary on my birthday so it is quite weird that i love doctor who and I had to be born on that day Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:40 am

Exact date of your birth was 23 November 1997?

~
Back to top Go down
Scary

Number of posts : 7474
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:12 pm

Mwhuhahaha, I am older than you, Shadow Dalek, by 7 months and 15 days. Twisted Evil

Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yorksinusa

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:34 pm

My best bud back in the UK has the Chad Valley give a show Doctor WHO projector thingy, Im sure it's worth a bob or two.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:31 pm

I have a rejection letter from the Doctor Who production office, circa the late 1980's. I was silly enough in my youth to think that I could write for Doctor Who.

Back to top Go down
Pex the Unalive

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Most unique/unusual item in your collection?   Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:55 pm

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
I have a rejection letter from the Doctor Who production office, circa the late 1980's. I was silly enough in my youth to think that I could write for Doctor Who.

Never give up. You never know what may happen one day. Smile

Speaking of writing, I have a copy of the Virgin New Adventures writer's guidelines from the early 90s. Included in the guidelines is material outlining the nature of the Blood Heat-No Future arc of stories featuring the return of the Monk, and suggestions on the three-person character dynamic of the Seventh Doctor, Ace, and Benny. Never did submit anything, but it now serves as a neat little time capsule of that era.

As for other Who writing memorabilia, I have the packing slip that came with my two contributor copies of Doctor Who: Short Trips - How the Doctor Changed My Life. Wouldn't really mean much to anyone other than me, but I'm rather fond of it. Laughing

I suppose the ultimate pride of my Who collection though would be my autographs. I've gotten Bonnie Langford, William Russell, Maureen O'Brien, India Fisher, and Jeremy Bulloch. Last but not least, I have the original art for the final page of The Mark of Mandragora Part Four, autographed by artist Lee Sullivan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Most unique/unusual item in your collection?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Collecting-
Jump to: