Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1841
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:22 am

Rust wrote:
Personally, I enjoyed Season 5. Yeah the Finale was standard "Save the Universe" Faire that's become rather tired since the series rebooted, but at least this time the focus was on the characters, rather then the event.

Much better then "Mysterious force manipulating events from the shadows...SURPRISE! It's the Daleks!" *Applause sign lights up*

I'm hoping they aren't behind the events of this new ongoing storyline we're watching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:45 am

jfh1970 wrote:
Rust wrote:
Personally, I enjoyed Season 5. Yeah the Finale was standard "Save the Universe" Faire that's become rather tired since the series rebooted, but at least this time the focus was on the characters, rather then the event.

Much better then "Mysterious force manipulating events from the shadows...SURPRISE! It's the Daleks!" *Applause sign lights up*

I'm hoping they aren't behind the events of this new ongoing storyline we're watching.

Could be worse......could be the stompy-stompy Cybusmen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:34 pm

I still think it's going to be revealed that the Dream Lord is behind all of it and that he'll be responsible for or even turn out to be the Valyard from the Sixth Doctor story, TOATL. I know, wishful thinking from a DW continuity nerd. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:28 pm

I thought it was pretty obvious the Dream Lord is the Valeyard. I mean, he fits the description to a tee, being the Doctor's Dark Side.

I too hope he shows back up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:52 pm

But the Valeyard was the final incarnation of the Doctor, and since there's no limit on regenerations, there's no last incarnation, so no Valeyard! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:09 pm

actually, if you go by my take on it, the valeyard is the doctor during his present form. when the valeyard was in physical form in the trial of a time lord, he was representing the evil side of doc 6 (boastfull, pridefull, arrogant). when the dreamlord (one of my favorite current episodes) was in "physical" form, he was doc 11 (manipulative, quirky, strange). at least that's my take on it. if the valeyard ever does really take "physical" form, it will be of the current doctor he's of.

p.s. we all could get into a discussion of wether or not there is a valeyard for doc 10, since he almost fully went to the dark side. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:42 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
actually, if you go by my take on it, the valeyard is the doctor during his present form. when the valeyard was in physical form in the trial of a time lord, he was representing the evil side of doc 6 (boastfull, pridefull, arrogant). when the dreamlord (one of my favorite current episodes) was in "physical" form, he was doc 11 (manipulative, quirky, strange). at least that's my take on it. if the valeyard ever does really take "physical" form, it will be of the current doctor he's of.

p.s. we all could get into a discussion of wether or not there is a valeyard for doc 10, since he almost fully went to the dark side. Razz

Maybe the clone Doctor?
He becomes either the Valeyard or "Doctor Who" we see in the AARU Dalek films.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:33 am

Let's not forget it was the Master who revealed the Valyard's origins and he easily could've made a mistake in his deductions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:34 pm

Or, the Valeyard is a required offshoot of the Doctor in his Final Regeneration so that he can continue to regenerate. Like a snake shedding its skin, the Doctor has to purge his darker nature for a "new beginning" or else he won't be able to regenerate.

EDIT: And 10's exposure to the Valeyard was "The Time Lord Victorious". Davros said it best:

"That's it! THERE he is. The rage. The fury of a Time Lord who butchered millions! ... Why so shy? Show your companion."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1816
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:33 am

The limit on regenerations was to add some tension to the fact that The Doctor could regenerate after death. Eventually he'd run out and be permanently dead so he couldn't let him be killed all the time. I knew this was coming since they were running out of incarnations, but this is stupid. You can't just abridge the rules by offhandedly saying that the rules don't apply. They have to build a story around it to justify it. They really should've waited until the eve of his very last regen to milk the dramatic tension.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:42 pm

Points to evil monkey pope. If the regenerations didnt matter, you would have had a bunch of episodes like Journey's end and a doctor killed more than Captain Jack. Only hope that doesnt happen now. Especially in light of journeys End and the idea of controlling the regeneration.

Even so, just because they have made an announcement doesn't mean there still couldn't be some great story to come from the what was originally viewed as the final regeneration. The statement Time lord victorious forced him to pay a price relearning the consequences of his actions can still be drastic. Whose to say it isn't a horrible burden to learn the limit is gone? thinking his existence was finally done? Hate the idea of it coming as an off handed comment from Sarah Jane and something plastered on the news, but still going to see how they handle the actual event if it arises.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:53 pm

well, 507.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:37 pm

Yeah, this was the biggest red herring. It's pretty obvious you aren't supposed to be taking him seriously.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

Number of posts : 2725
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:09 pm

http://blastr.com/2010/10/revealed-how-many-regener.php

Don't like the idea of 507.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:57 pm

I had this crazy thought. Wouldn't it be funny if the Doctor was actually answering what his true age is.

Or

How much money he has in his bank account which is more than I have for sure!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kuroba

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-02-26

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:38 am

Actually, the Valeyard is described as being in between his 12th and FINAL regeneration. It never says where in his timestream it's from.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:17 am

http://community.livejournal.com/ihasatardis/2252333.html

One fan's explanation of how the Doctor wound up with 495 more regenerations. (Ignore the Adult Content warning.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: