Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 
 

 BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
johnmiic
RANK: UNIT Sergeant


Number of posts : 84
Age : 47
Registration date : 2007-02-14

PostSubject: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:29 pm

I think they would at least do a great big cliffhanger about this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/oct/12/doctor-who-immortal-reveals-bbc
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://johnmiic.deviantart.com/gallery/
Cruel Angel
RANK: Time Lord Chancellor


Number of posts : 5896
Age : 45
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:40 pm

FYI, there are some of us that don't read news articles like that and don't want spoilers. By putting the info in the article in the title of your post, there is no way to avoid it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
johnmiic
RANK: UNIT Sergeant


Number of posts : 84
Age : 47
Registration date : 2007-02-14

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:32 am

1. Sorry you feel that way, but it's not a spoiler.

2. This will not be a DW story. It is not part of a DW story. It is not a detail in a DW story. There are no plans to have it in the new Doctor Who season.

The BBC is yelling it from the rooftops and to all major news outlets. It is in the news-it's in the public for all to see even if you only heard about it here first.

You would have run accross this headline or some variation of it eventually online, in print or on a TV news show and it leaves nothing to the imagination:

"Doctor Who is now immortal, reveals the BBC
Edict that Time Lords can regenerate only 12 times before they die has been quietly ditched"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://johnmiic.deviantart.com/gallery/
jfh1970
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 1841
Age : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:51 am

Story wise it makes sense. With the Time Lords out of the picture I really think that the rules have changed because they're not around to enforce them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:16 am

jfh1970 wrote:
Story wise it makes sense. With the Time Lords out of the picture I really think that the rules have changed because they're not around to enforce them.

How does one enforce something, that I think, is a biological thing?

I mean the Master, throughout the Fourth Doctor's time, was barely clinging to life at his final regeneration. How would the Timelords enforce a limited existence on a supposedly infinite lifespan....I mean what purpose would it achieve, and why would all the Timelords simply accept that if that is the case?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo
RANK: Time Lord President Elect


Number of posts : 6854
Age : 30
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:45 am

Pretty much, the theory is that 12 regenerations was a rule to control the population.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 1841
Age : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 am

The Castellan wrote:
jfh1970 wrote:
Story wise it makes sense. With the Time Lords out of the picture I really think that the rules have changed because they're not around to enforce them.

How does one enforce something, that I think, is a biological thing?

I mean the Master, throughout the Fourth Doctor's time, was barely clinging to life at his final regeneration. How would the Timelords enforce a limited existence on a supposedly infinite lifespan....I mean what purpose would it achieve, and why would all the Timelords simply accept that if that is the case?

I don't know how the Time Lords controlled it, but I'm thinking regeneration is a privilege that is somehow earned and added to the individual. I look at the situation with the Master as a good example. The Time Lords tempt him with a new cycle of regenerations as a way to get him to find the Doctor in the Death Zone in The Five Doctors that he never receives. Ironically he does get them though when the Time Lords resurrect him for the Time War.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1216
Age : 48
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:13 pm

There is an established idea that one can take regenerations from another Time Lord, or they can be granted more, or even a whole new set. Perhaps the Doctor has now taken all regeneration from every Time Lord and can go on perpetually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Rust
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1557
Age : 33
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:29 pm

There's also Rassilion, who in The Five Doctors had access to immortality. Theoretically, the Doctor took this secret for himself.

Regardless, while a big build up story would have been good, after the dud of false drama that was The End of Time, maybe the BBC wanted to nip those kind of stories in the bud, since now a days people will learn who has been cast to play the Doctor before the previous Doctor departs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes
RANK: Time Lord, Gold Usher


Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:06 pm

RTD has been hinting about this for the last 5 years. Not too big a surprise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rogue
RANK: Prime Minister


Number of posts : 898
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:35 pm

I'm glad they made it official. I'd hate to think we'd only get two more actors to play the role, and that's that. I'm of that school of thought that limited regenerations were a sort of Gallifreyan population control (well, for the Time Lords).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 1841
Age : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:16 am

Rogue wrote:
I'm glad they made it official. I'd hate to think we'd only get two more actors to play the role, and that's that. I'm of that school of thought that limited regenerations were a sort of Gallifreyan population control (well, for the Time Lords).

I never saw this as a possibility. The only way the character of the Doctor will come to an end is if the BBC decides (perish the thought) to cancel the series again. Even if this happened I can see the show ending in a way where we don't know what actually happens to the Doctor. Then we could see BBC books continuing the series just like Virgin did back in the day. Just not as graphic if you get my meaning. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:05 am

What a cop out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
rdks
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3520
Age : 44
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:23 am

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
What a cop out.
I found myself saying that after almost every Series 5 episode. Seems to be the running theme this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 2106
Age : 40
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:58 am

i think it's bogus. i mean if we go by everything the doctor says hes: half human on his mother's side (the tvmovie), dead (the big bang).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1557
Age : 33
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:47 pm

Technically, him having thirteen Regenerations is a cop out, because they just needed something to explain the story. The "rule" was a plot convenience to begin with.

One of the better things about Doctor Who as a series, and one that's let it last so long, is the fact it plays fast and loose with its own Continuity. It doesn't bog itself down in details if those details are detrimental to telling a good story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 1841
Age : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:49 pm

I'm not bothered by the restriction being thrown out but it would've been much more suspenseful if the BBC didn't say anything about it until the time came.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1557
Age : 33
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:56 pm

jfh1970 wrote:
I'm not bothered by the restriction being thrown out but it would've been much more suspenseful if the BBC didn't say anything about it until the time came.

After The End of Time suspense fell flat on its face, I don't blame the BBC for wanting to prevent that kind of ham fisted "Drama" in the future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 1841
Age : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 pm

Rust wrote:
jfh1970 wrote:
I'm not bothered by the restriction being thrown out but it would've been much more suspenseful if the BBC didn't say anything about it until the time came.

After The End of Time suspense fell flat on its face, I don't blame the BBC for wanting to prevent that kind of ham fisted "Drama" in the future.

That story did just seem to go on and on didn't it? I blame RTD for that and Moff is no better. There seems to be this current school of thought that believes an excellent finale has everything in it including the kitchen sink.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur
RANK: The Doctor


Number of posts : 9510
Age : 53
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:11 pm

Well, I suppose we can open up the Brain of Morbius debate again......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:12 pm

jfh1970 wrote:
Rust wrote:
jfh1970 wrote:
I'm not bothered by the restriction being thrown out but it would've been much more suspenseful if the BBC didn't say anything about it until the time came.

After The End of Time suspense fell flat on its face, I don't blame the BBC for wanting to prevent that kind of ham fisted "Drama" in the future.

That story did just seem to go on and on didn't it? I blame RTD for that and Moff is no better. There seems to be this current school of thought that believes an excellent finale has everything in it including the kitchen sink.

The kitchen sink would be more exciting than that rubbish that was the finale of series 5. :/

~
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 1841
Age : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:17 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
The kitchen sink would be more exciting than that rubbish that was the finale of series 5. :/

That's how I felt after I watched it the first time, but then again I haven't watched it again either. I wonder what that says? I just wish someone would tell Moff at least that less is sometimes more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:28 pm

jfh1970 wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:
The kitchen sink would be more exciting than that rubbish that was the finale of series 5. :/

That's how I felt after I watched it the first time, but then again I haven't watched it again either. I wonder what that says? I just wish someone would tell Moff at least that less is sometimes more.

There's nothing from series 5 that I personally have felt that deserved a second watching.

Will I get it on dvd, no.
~
Back to top Go down
rdks
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3520
Age : 44
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:38 am

I'll won't watch that finale again for a long, long time. That was bad. I mean like Zagreus bad.

Ronpur wrote:
Well, I suppose we can open up the Brain of Morbius debate again......
Dear god, no! affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1557
Age : 33
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations   Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:41 am

Personally, I enjoyed Season 5. Yeah the Finale was standard "Save the Universe" Faire that's become rather tired since the series rebooted, but at least this time the focus was on the characters, rather then the event.

Much better then "Mysterious force manipulating events from the shadows...SURPRISE! It's the Daleks!" *Applause sign lights up*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
BBC Proclaims Doctor is immortal. No limit on Regenerations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: