Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

Custom Tutorial Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:55 am

Instead of messing around with different chemicals and potentially ruining the figure, I'm going to check a few stores in the area and see if I can find some suitable tubing to replace the yellow tubes.

I've still got a few Bronze Daleks that have yellow eye rings & earlights. They'll have to be cleaned somehow, I don't think I can replace them. The yellowing doesn't stand out as bad on them since they're bronze daleks, but it's really noticable when I put one beside a brand new one.

I'll do my best to keep them displayed out of direct sunlight in the future. No way am I gonna stop playing with them though! I'll just wash my hands first! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:25 am

White gloves! That's why they use them in museums! LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:31 pm

What's the best place to get milliput? do they sell it in hobby stores?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:57 pm

Not sure if it's available in stores in the US. Here in Canada I get it an art supply store called Michael's. I've also bought from ebay for pretty cheap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invisible Supreme

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:59 pm

Also, what exactly is green stuff? and sculpey? I'm not familier with either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:11 am

Greenstuff is a sculpting clay, similar to milliput. Milliput is more of an all purpose agent (you can use it on pipes, coffe mugs, etc), and it dries rock hard, while greenstuff is a little more flexible. With both you mix 2 separates (a yellow and blue) into a green compound and have about an hour to work it before it sets. Milliput can be used as a bonding agent while greenstuff isn't very good at that. Either is good for custom figures.

Sculpey is different in that you don't mix anything together and have to heat it to set it, either by baking or boiling.

Any of the 3 are fine for customs, it's really up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Myself, I use all 3, depending on what I'm doing. I find lately I've been using greenstuff more than anything since it's so easy to work with (once you get used to it, it can be frustrating at first as it's very sticky to work with).

Hope this answers your question well enough.
Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invisible Supreme

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:29 am

rdks wrote:
Greenstuff is a sculpting clay, similar to milliput. Milliput is more of an all purpose agent (you can use it on pipes, coffe mugs, etc), and it dries rock hard, while greenstuff is a little more flexible. With both you mix 2 separates (a yellow and blue) into a green compound and have about an hour to work it before it sets. Milliput can be used as a bonding agent while greenstuff isn't very good at that. Either is good for custom figures.

Sculpey is different in that you don't mix anything together and have to heat it to set it, either by baking or boiling.

Any of the 3 are fine for customs, it's really up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Myself, I use all 3, depending on what I'm doing. I find lately I've been using greenstuff more than anything since it's so easy to work with (once you get used to it, it can be frustrating at first as it's very sticky to work with).

Hope this answers your question well enough.
Smile
Thanks! I need to find something like milliput, greenstuff, or sculpey, to make another plug for the neck on one of my tenth doctor figures because when I tried a boil and pop I couldn't get his head on afterwards, and the plug broke, so now it comes off very easily. which would you recomend for sculpting a new plug?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:45 pm

Normally, ''boil 'n pop'' works, but I tried with a coated 10th Doc and a 9th Doc, the heads on the pegs of the arms still broke off. I was going to discard those pieces, anyhow, but still.

Oh, before I forget, I am working on a jacket less 9th Doctor, and I removed the aforementioned arms, but what figure(s) have arms that would blend nicely with the 9th Doc's torso, you think Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doctor Who Freak

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2009-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:56 pm

Possessed Toby?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:24 pm

Invisible Supreme wrote:
which would you recomend for sculpting a new plug?
Oh boy. I had the same problem a few times when I first started. I haven't found a good solution to repair it. You can't just sculpt a new plug, it always ends up breaking off. You can try putting a piece of tape around the shaft to make it a little thicker. I've had mild success doing that. Whenever I break a plug now I convert it to a peg style head. Terrasolo's method works best. You can read about it HERE. Look for his S18 4th Doc, about halfway down the page.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:28 pm

The Castellan wrote:
what figure(s) have arms that would blend nicely with the 9th Doc's torso, you think Question
Toby's arms are the right size as Doctor Who Freak mentioned, but you've got the problem with his bracelet thingy on his left wrist, which makes his left arm a little longer than the right when you swap hands. You also have to make sure the arms plugs match. Not many do unfortunately. If it were me, I would use the existing 9th Doctor's arms. Carefully carve the clothing folds off with a knife and sand them smooth.

Interesting idea, I haven't seen this one done before. I hope you're able to do it, it sounds pretty neat!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invisible Supreme

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:30 pm

rdks wrote:
Invisible Supreme wrote:
which would you recomend for sculpting a new plug?
Oh boy. I had the same problem a few times when I first started. I haven't found a good solution to repair it. You can't just sculpt a new plug, it always ends up breaking off. You can try putting a piece of tape around the shaft to make it a little thicker. I've had mild success doing that. Whenever I break a plug now I convert it to a peg style head. Terrasolo's method works best. You can read about it HERE. Look for his S18 4th Doc, about halfway down the page.
hmm, maybe I'll try what terrasolo did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:37 pm

I have had to fix broken head pegs, and use bits of round plastic spruce, the tree that model kits come on. I drill out a bit of the bottom of the head, by hand, not with an electric drill. Then I glue a piece of spruce on the head, and stick it back into the body. I wrap some tape around it to make it tighter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Anyone have tips on making long hair but keeping the head able to turn? I'm trying it now using greenstuff, but it's looking like the head won't turn once it's dry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:06 pm

Even with actual figures, it is hard to do that! I have tried, with a little success, to put a spacer between the hair and shoulders so it stays off of them as it dries. Just a small gap gets left between the hair and shoulders, and it lets you get some motion. I usually wrap a few layers of foil on the figure to do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:26 pm

Doh! Wish I thought of that earlier, using a spacer. Too late now.

I made the hair from 25 strands of greenstuff and tried prying it away from the body every few minutes using a pin, but there's so much hair now I fear even if it doesn't stick to anything the head won't turn.

Once I'm done these guys - Ogrons - I'm going to shy away from long haired characters. It's really not fun. And I've discovered, somewhat surprisingly, that messy hair is much harder to do than neat, styled hair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1478
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:17 pm

Anyone here know if the Sontaran heads are easily swappable? And if you have pics of a dismantled one that would be great too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kasterborous.com
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:06 pm

rdks wrote:
The Castellan wrote:
what figure(s) have arms that would blend nicely with the 9th Doc's torso, you think Question
Toby's arms are the right size as Doctor Who Freak mentioned, but you've got the problem with his bracelet thingy on his left wrist, which makes his left arm a little longer than the right when you swap hands. You also have to make sure the arms plugs match. Not many do unfortunately. If it were me, I would use the existing 9th Doctor's arms. Carefully carve the clothing folds off with a knife and sand them smooth.

Interesting idea, I haven't seen this one done before. I hope you're able to do it, it sounds pretty neat!

I intend to, but I can't use the Ninth's original arms, because the heads of the arm's plugs tore off when I pulled the arms off, even with a boil 'n pop. Neutral

I wanna make this one because I doubt the Ninth Doctor ALWAYS wore that jacket....plus I wanna make some variants of him with various colored shirts.

I also plan to make a special Cybusman, our Universe's John Lumic, who is going to be a major villain in my stories. I'll need to get some extras to make various forms...like pointing finger, with gun, without gun, etc. Only time Cybusmen actually has some use. XD

Also, can you help find a figure(s) that I could use to make this character that I made?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Primacron/Cassy3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Primacron/Cassy4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Primacron/Cassy5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Primacron/Cassy6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Primacron/Cassy7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Primacron/Cassy8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Primacron/Cassy9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Primacron/CGI%20Stuff/CassyBody1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Primacron/CGI%20Stuff/CassyBody2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Primacron/CGI%20Stuff/CassyBody3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Primacron/CGI%20Stuff/CassyBody4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/Primacron/CGI%20Stuff/CassyBody5.jpg

She's going to be the Doc's companion for my stories. afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:01 am

You're not going to find anything close to that in the Who line. Closest I can think of is a Primeval S1 Abby, which is very rare and extremely expensive, and really not that close. If you change the hair and clothes you might find a better match.

Female Who figures don't have cleavage, bare arms, or their midriff showing.

There's a 6" Drusilla in the Buffy line that has a similar outfit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:32 pm

The Castellan wrote:
...the heads of the arm's plugs tore off when I pulled the arms off, even with a boil 'n pop...
This is repairable, but it's a lot of work. It involves drilling and patching and some screws. If you want to try it let me know and I'll help you through it.

I recommend never using the boil-pop method for arms. I've had more failures than successes this way, and like I said, it's a lot of work to repair.

The best method for removing arms is to boil-pop the head. Then reheat the figure in the water. Once it's warm put some needlenose pliers into the hole where the head was and gently open them to split the torso. Sometimes you need to get a flathead screwdriver or a knife and help pry open the sides if the torso is especially tight so you don't crack the body around the chest.

If the figure has a peg (so there's no hole to put pliers in once you've beheaded it), then you need to drill a small hole in each side of the body so you can insert something to pry it apart. Hopefully the figure has a jacket so the holes are covered when you're done, saving you some patchwork and repainting.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:51 pm

rdks wrote:

Female Who figures don't have cleavage, bare arms, or their midriff showing.

Maybe I'll get lucky if they release a Peri figure. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:07 pm

The 2nd Rose figure, when you remove her top, has a decently molded midriff. You would have to sand down her sleeves to make her have bare arms. It could work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:43 pm

From Hoosier Whovian, a tutorial on adding lights to the 11th Doctor Tardis playset....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:44 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:45 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Tutorial Thread   Today at 1:58 pm

Back to top Go down

Custom Tutorial Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Projects, Modifications, and Fan Creations :: Models and Modifications-
Jump to: