Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

Matt Smith appreciation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Matt Smith appreciation    Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:33 pm

Ok post pics of Matt Smith to appreciate him as The doctor. Smile

Back to top Go down
regenerated and done

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2010-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith appreciation    Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:45 pm

coooooool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith appreciation    Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:59 pm

Yes, my caption.

I liked Matt Smith as the Doctor from the second David Tennant morphed into him. And he hasn't let down my expectations. He plays a 907+ year old Time Lord in a young body very well. When he fumbles, is that a bumbling old man or a scatter-brained young man? I don't know. I don't care. It works for me. And I also love the fresh energy he brings to the role. He's the one I'd want to beat Tom Baker as longest-running TV Doctor. (McGann probably has longest running Doctor bagged, thanks to BF.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nuggan

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith appreciation    Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:13 pm

I agree with the above.

I do miss TENnant. But Smith is GREAT!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SuperJoshe

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2010-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith appreciation    Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:41 pm

I find that Smith, while funny and very entertaining to watch, doesn't really add anything new to the character like Eccleston and Tennant did. Still, he's fun to watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith appreciation    Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:45 pm

SuperJoshe wrote:
I find that Smith, while funny and very entertaining to watch, doesn't really add anything new to the character like Eccleston and Tennant did. Still, he's fun to watch.

That is actually a valid criticism. I'm just glad Series 5 didn't have more brooding. But then, Tennant didn't have that at first...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith appreciation    Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm getting the feeling someone really likes Matt Smith . . . (yes, that was sarcastic)

Anyway, I agree, he's an interesting character (Smith, not his doctor)
Back to top Go down
SuperJoshe

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith appreciation    Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:28 pm

I think the brooding of Series 1 and 4 and the specials added an interesting dimension to the character and to the series, and I'm glad they didn't go overboard with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith appreciation    Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:32 pm

Yeah, maybe they're trying to do less defining points for the Doctor to try to bring back some mystery to the character.

Whatever. I've enjoyed Matt's performance so far. Heck, all the Doctors have been awesome.

This was enjoyable, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdOjF2sYbBI
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SuperJoshe

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith appreciation    Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:39 pm

Non-Newtonian Fluid FTW. They're actually researching ways to implement that stuff into body armor for the military.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith appreciation    Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:23 am

kcooper76 wrote:
I'm getting the feeling someone really likes Matt Smith . . . (yes, that was sarcastic)

Anyway, I agree, he's an interesting character (Smith, not his doctor)

* Cough. * Cough. * * Clears throat.* * Whistles and walks away.* Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith appreciation    Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:19 pm

I think there's quite a bit of the classic Doctors in 11, although I can't really pick up any from 3, 4, and 5. (But maybe that's because I've haven't watched them enough...)

He has the grandfather-ness of 1, which is a little weird coming from someone under 30. He bumbles like 2. He can rage like 6, and he'll talk down enemies like 7. Oh, and he's got a heart like 8. (Though they didn't show it enough... "You don't get involved unless you see children crying.")

He was doing some work on the TARDIS at the beginning of "The Vampires in Venice," so maybe that was a little like how 4 would tinker on the TARDIS or K-9 every now and then. ("Chameleon circuit!") And I guess he has a bit of fashion sense like 3...

Now, let's see if he can get some unique qualities in soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith appreciation    Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:27 pm

I really like Matt Smith's take on The Doctor. After getting into "Who" Late (During Journey's End and the Specials, mainly), and finally watching New Who from beginning to end, the brooding and moping and "I'm the Last of the Time Lords. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" got really old.

Worse, I don't think RTD realizes how much he sabotaged his own storyline by making the Time Lords into raving lunatics bent on destroying Time. The Time War angle was much more interesting angle when it was the civilizations of both the Time Lords and Daleks riding each other down into the flames of oblivion. (Not to mention, it sabotages the Doctor's own motivations for brooding, as he's said on multiple occasions if there was a way to go back and save his people, he would have)

So Matt Smith's Doctor getting on with his life (And giving his enemies second chances again) is a real treat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith appreciation    Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:32 am

The thing I like about Smith's Doctor is that when Amy kissed him, he didn't advocate (I think that's the right word), he attempted to stop her which is a nice change from the Tennant Doctor.

I enjoy 11's bubbly enthusiasm and his heart. I'm not saying 10 didn't have those qualities but he seemed to lose those towards the end, you didn't see it as often as you did at the start of Tennant's era. Although, I wouldn't say 10 had a bubbly enthusiasm but he was always hyper.

I like both 10 and 11. But I prefer Smith's different take on the character and makes a change from Tennant's broodiness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith appreciation    Today at 10:29 am

Back to top Go down

Matt Smith appreciation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: