Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

"Signature" musical chords

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Redfern

Number of posts : 1203
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: "Signature" musical chords   Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:47 pm

In the "classic" series, most stories seem to have a unique musical score that aws not repeated in later adventures. There were a few exceptions, of course. Adric's "theme" from "Full Circle" was used again in "EarthShock". But for the most part, each story had its own arrangement.

In contrast, the "new" series (2005 and onwards) wound up creating distinctive "signature" themes for many of the continuing characters or "recurring" monsters. Obviously, the Doctor was given a "signature" theme. I heard somewhere it was called "Flavia's Lament", but that's probably just hearsay or an early "working title".

A very interesting and "lamentful" score, clearly suggesting the Doctor's loneliness, but I must wonder why the PTB didn't use elements of the Ron Grainer theme. For anyone who has seen Tom Baker's debut story, "Robot", remember the scene when the Doctor emerges from the TARDIS several times sporting a different ensemble? You know, the clown, the viking, and the Tudor style royal robes... When he finally exits the box sporting his iconic fedora and scarf, we hear the first three notes of the Derbyshire arrangement. It suggested, at least to me, an element of "mystery". It also helped to signify "This is it; this is the Doctor".

I have no real complaints, but I think it would've been neat to "weave" elements of Grainer's score into the Doctor's "signature" theme. Imagine the scene in "School Reunion" when Sarah discovers the TARDIS and then whirls around to see "Mr. Smith", finally realizing who he really is. Those three opening notes would have been perfect!

What are your thougts?

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mzzkiti.com

"Signature" musical chords
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: