Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Torchwood: The New World

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
beep

Number of posts : 807
Registration date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Torchwood: The New World   Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:30 pm

The title of the next series of torchwood has been revealed.In a Q&A session with RTD and julie this was said:

Quote :
The new story will follow a CIA agent (Rex) and analyst (Ester) who tackle an alien-related global issue. Torchwood, having been destroyed and disbanded, is "like a legend now ... it's like something that's ceased to exist and is now spoken of only in whispers." Soon, Rex and Ester are on the run and are seeking out the help of Captain Jack and Gwen.

"The two teams coming together is a big part of the story -- are they friends or enemies? There's a lot of sparks and excitement."

"We definitely have a really big story to tell," added executive producer Julie Gardner. "It's absolutely rebooted to welcome in a new audience." The ten episodes will be very fast paced, telling a self-contained story with the miniseries "Children of Earth" being used as a template. Being on Starz, the show could potentially take advantage of looser standards for nudity and violence. "I've always had loose standards and practices," Davies said. "If the story demands intimacy or savagery, we will go there absolutely ... [but] there's nothing better than a great big global thriller that stops for a sex scene -- it's probably hard to make that happen in a thriller."

They have also revealed that Rhys will return and will remain part of the team, Captain John Hart won’t be appearing, filming will take place in Los Angeles and Washington, the show will still be humorous, Captain Jacks sexuality will still be honoured, Rhys and Gwen’s relationship will be sexy, the Welsh setting is still important, and there will be no “flabby” episodes
Sounds exciting, what do you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1841
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:36 pm

So far I'm not impressed. Perhaps it's because I still haven't gotten over the disappointment of the last series.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:43 pm

jfh, i'm with you. no captain john hart. no gray. no weevils(probably). to quote the critic: THIS STINKS!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:47 pm

*Sigh* Something else that's been ruined big style.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:48 pm

What's wrong with you guys? Last series was a masterpiece. The best thing I've EVER seen as part of a television show. I am glad they are using it as a template this time around.
Back to top Go down
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:09 am

But where will it be aired? On Starz? If so, I won't be able to watch it. I don't pay for Premium channels.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:02 pm

I like cheesey Jack. He actually needs to go back to that. He's had so much fun drained out of him as the Torchwood boss. He's much better bouncing around without responsibilities.
I'm disappointed by the lack of John Hart. James Marsters said he'd tackle RTD until he bleeds to do the role again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:16 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
I like cheesey Jack.

I don't. The first two seasons provided many cringe-worthy Jack moments for me. During scenes that were supposed to be "emotional", I couldn't believe how bad of an actor he is. I really disliked him at times, which came as a surprise considering how much I loved him on Doctor Who in 2005. I couldn't get enough of Gwen, Ianto or Rhys, though. Now those are fantastic characters. I prefer Jack as the non-cheesy everything-I-touch-dies bossy boss with a past.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:56 pm

while i liked children of earth, i feel that the need to have the whole series tie in to everything created too many bad moments for the characters. it turned jack into a heartless monster who traded children to aliens while he was waiting for the doctor to show up. it killed off ianto. it killed jack's grandchild. it made jack into a serious moper who ran away into outer space. it destroyed the torchwood hub, the weevils who were there, gray, all the alien tech, etc, etc.

personally, i liked captain jack in the doctor who series first and foremost. the first two torchwood series were good, my favorite probably being the second series with jack and gray, and the episode sleeper. children of earth was just such a bleak turn for the show. it would be like the next series of red dwarf killing off every member of the team except for lister, and leave him a quivering wreck. i'm not saying i won't watch the starz series, i just don't think i'll enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5982
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:55 am

For me, I believe Torchwood should have been left as is. The first two series were very good and Children of Earth was intense, but after losing Owen, then Tosh, then Ianto, and with the Hub destroyed and Gwen and Rhys making a family, it all should have ended. Jack could go back traveling and Gwen could settle down. No one would blame them as characters for wanting to just get away from it after all the personal losses they've endured the past two series.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:37 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
For me, I believe Torchwood should have been left as is. The first two series were very good and Children of Earth was intense, but after losing Owen, then Tosh, then Ianto, and with the Hub destroyed and Gwen and Rhys making a family, it all should have ended. Jack could go back traveling and Gwen could settle down. No one would blame them as characters for wanting to just get away from it after all the personal losses they've endured the past two series.

My sentiments exactly. They wound up killing off some really great characters and IMO that's just not original at all. As a result, I really have very little interest in the new series coming up. Before TW landed on Starz, I was thinking that they were going to do the new stories in space. Instead we get an earth based story with another alien invasion of the week. This concept doesn't inspire enthusiasm from me either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:25 pm

the big question. will alonso be in this??? alons-y!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beep

Number of posts : 807
Registration date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:34 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
THE BIG ANSWER = no
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:06 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:

I remember reading a rumour that he was going to be with Jack and be a new member of the TW team. Unfortunately it's just a rumour. Probably for the best because I'm sure that RTD would've killed him off any way since he's so good at doing that to his characters. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Actually, they wanted Alonso in The Stolen Earth/Journey's End, but Russell Tovey was busy at the time and had to turn it down. It turned out he would have been killed by a Dalek.

Tovey later said that such a guest role might have gotten him an action figure, but word is he'll get one in the Being Human line. (Which I hope are scale with the DW line.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:25 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
Actually, they wanted Alonso in The Stolen Earth/Journey's End, but Russell Tovey was busy at the time and had to turn it down. It turned out he would have been killed by a Dalek.

This proves my belief that he would have been killed on TW had he joined the series. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nuggan

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:31 pm

Russell Tovey is very busy according to IMDB.

CoE was fantastic. There were a few of series 1 & 2 that were good, but I didn't like much of it.

The only thing that kept me watching was that it was related to Doctor Who.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:58 pm

jaredofmo wrote:

Tovey later said that such a guest role might have gotten him an action figure, but word is he'll get one in the Being Human line. (Which I hope are scale with the DW line.)

Are you serious about a being human line???!!! It has been talked about???!!!
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:04 am

Yep. It hasn't been confirmed, yet, but they said to expect it about Christmas time this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:18 am

jaredofmo wrote:
Yep. It hasn't been confirmed, yet, but they said to expect it about Christmas time this year.

Wow, I never thought of one existing. Although, if it does happen, I hope they don't make the line a big one, just maybe four action figures for the four main characters.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:41 pm

Quote :
jaredofmo wrote:

Wow, I never thought of one existing. Although, if it does happen, I hope they don't make the line a big one, just maybe four action figures for the four main characters.

Well, you'd hope George is in a 2-pack with his werewolf form, at least?

And I'd also want a Gilbert...

Ummm... Should we start a thread about this one elsewhere?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:27 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
Quote :
jaredofmo wrote:

Well, you'd hope George is in a 2-pack with his werewolf form, at least?

And I'd also want a Gilbert...

Ummm... Should we start a thread about this one elsewhere?

I don't know about a werewolf . . . you know, with all that criticism about it looking weak and small and un-werewolf-like.
Who's Gilbert? . . . And you can start a thread if you don't mind the fact that there will be only the two of us posting on it
Smile
Back to top Go down
neogeo

Number of posts : 2159
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:12 pm

Oh my dear goodness ...my niece loves Being Human. She's been watching the BBC America edited version (I've already seen the uncut UK series 1 & 2--brilliant!). Shorter: I'm gonna see a way too long Christmas list from her this year. At least it'll give me options and keep her guessing, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:17 pm

neogeoMk2 wrote:
Oh my dear goodness ...my niece loves Being Human. She's been watching the BBC America edited version (I've already seen the uncut UK series 1 & 2--brilliant!). Shorter: I'm gonna see a way too long Christmas list from her this year. At least it'll give me options and keep her guessing, I suppose.

Sorry to continue off-topic in this abandoned thread, but the BBCA version is EDITED??????????!!!!! How badly??!! I didn't watch the BBCA versions, but the UK versions, yet why on earth would they edit it on BBCA??!!
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: The New World   Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:28 pm

Quote :
neogeoMk2 wrote:
Oh my dear goodness ...my niece loves Being Human.  She's been watching the BBC America edited version (I've already seen the uncut UK series 1 & 2--brilliant!).  Shorter: I'm gonna see a way too long Christmas list from her this year.  At least it'll give me options and keep her guessing, I suppose.

Sorry to continue off-topic in this abandoned thread, but the BBCA version is EDITED??????????!!!!! How badly??!! I didn't watch the BBCA versions, but the UK versions, yet why on earth would they edit it on BBCA??!!

Swearing, some ... intimate scenes cut short, blurred middle fingers and bums, altered music, and for repeats, edited to fit in a 1 hour time slot with commercials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Torchwood: The New World
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Spin Offs & Crossovers-
Jump to: