Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

New planets and cultures, please!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: New planets and cultures, please!   Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:51 pm

One of my biggest complaints about the new series is how Earth-centric everything is. If the Doctor does leave Earth, he goes someplace that populated by people who have an identical culture to 21st century Britons. That's incredibly lazy. If they Doctor goes someplace on Earth, I'd rather it be where he doesn't blend in like pre-colonial Africa. I want to see him visit planets with thriving cultures of alens not satellites. If they can't get a make-up budget for an alien species, at least dress the actors funny and have them live in a society that's not a carbon copy of ours. Is that too much to ask for?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: New planets and cultures, please!   Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:01 am

If I could agree more than 100%, I totally would. I've been watching a lot of classic Who lately, and even on the shoestring budget classic Who producers were allowed, they introduced 5-10 new alien cultures every season. I love new Who, but my biggest complaint about it is how Earth-centric it is and how few new races and cultures it introduces.

I seem to recall hearing that even British audiences don't respond as well to the stories set in the past or on alien worlds, though, so the Earth-heavy focus of the show is not likely to change.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com

PostSubject: Re: New planets and cultures, please!   Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:14 am

These are great points, but remember, for each new race that they introduce on new Who, they are fleshed out 20 times more as species than they ever were on classic Who.
Back to top Go down
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: New planets and cultures, please!   Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:48 am

The one thing Classic Who has over New Who isn't alien cultures, it's costumes.

I'm always struck by how shows from the 60s and 70s, which operated on shoestring budgets, seem to have "higher production values" then their modern contemporaries due to the shows ruthlessly pillaging their respective studio's wardrobe. I mean, the original Star Trek based entire episodes around whatever spare set happened to be constructed on the lot.

New Who has no problem with historical costumes for the episodes that take place in Earth's past, but when it comes to the future...you'd think they could spare a little bit of the budget to come up with some suitably futuristic clothing (Even if it did involve multicolored jumpsuits) for the far future.

As for being Earth-centric, I sorta feel it makes sense, Post-Time War. We're talking about a man who's lost his entire race. The only place he has left is the world he's made "his project" over the years. It's understandable if he can't go back to Gallifrey, he'd spend more time on his "adopted" world.

EDIT: Also, it's worth pointing out a lot of the "alien worlds" Classic Who visits seem to be versions of the English Countryside...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New planets and cultures, please!   Today at 7:51 am

Back to top Go down

New planets and cultures, please!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: