Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

fav episode

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
regenerated and done

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2010-01-14

PostSubject: fav episode   Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:35 pm

mine is the daleks in manhaten p.s. fez,s are cool
:doc3: :doc3: :doc1: :dalek: :doc2: :doc4: :doc6: :doc8: :sarahjane: :doc10: :hitchhiker: :doc9: :master: :doc7: :doc5:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:05 am

9th: End of the World

10th: Smith and Jones/ End of time

11th: The Big Bang

Its a Fez, I wear a Fez now, Fez' are cool.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Its-a-Fez-I-wear-a-Fez-now-Fez-are-cool/108416965873984?v=wall
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:00 am

regenerated and done wrote:
mine is the daleks in manhaten
That's you're favourite episode?!? I'm not having a go at you it's just I've never heard of anyone picking that one as their favourite. Any particular reason?

And to stay on topic, like favourite Doctors, my favourite episode changes all the time. Right now it's easily The Pirate Planet. I've watched it six times in the last 2 days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:03 am

There is NO WAY I could pick one episode as a favorite. Perhaps one for each Doctor, but not one overall. That said, I could probably pick an overall "Top Ten," but that's about as close as I could get.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:43 pm

hmm, my fav would have to be Remembrance of the daleks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Favourite episode... it's a tough one... "Max Warp" and "Scapegoat". Oh wait, tv show, not audios... "The Next Doctor" for the fact that it ends on a happy note, the Doctor gets his mind changed and stays for Christmas dinner with Jackson Lake, and it's just all-in-all fun.

~
Back to top Go down
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:39 pm

Keep in mind, all my episodes are from New Who. My collection of Classic Who is so small as to make anything there a pittance (Though "Inferno" probably tops the list, there).

For the sake of fairness (As the majority of New Who has Hour Long adventures), I'll omit any Multi-Part stories from my selection choice.

Season One: The Unquiet Dead
Season Two: The Idiot's Lantern
Season Three: Blink
Season Four: The Doctor's Daughter (provisionally)
The Specials Year: The Waters of Mars
Season Five: Amy's Choice

The provision for Season Four is because I haven't finished viewing all of it yet - I've actually only gotten up to "The Unicorn and the Wasp".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
khana

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-06-19

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:47 pm

Rust wrote:

The provision for Season Four is because I haven't finished viewing all of it yet - I've actually only gotten up to "The Unicorn and the Wasp".

Really? You're in for a treat, then. I loved Season 4.

Favorite Episode... that's... that's a challenge. I think I'll have to break it down by seasons, as well.

Season 1: I liked all of it -.- It's so hard to pick one, but... I'll have to go with "Dalek." Brilliant, potent, so powerful. So much revealed about the Doctor...

Season 2: School Reunion, Girl in the Fireplace, or Doomsday... I simply can't decide between those.

Season 3: Blink or Family of Blood. They're too different from each other, it's too hard to compare them. Blink was just fun, and Family of Blood was so profound.

Season 4: Another impossible choice... but I think I'll go with, The Doctor's Daughter.

Season 4.5: Tough. Last 20 minutes of End of Time pt2 was incredible, but for a whole episode, probably The Waters of Mars.

Season 5: Oddly enough, the Lodger. It was just... fun. Vincent and the Doctor is a close second, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vicki

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:10 pm

Lots of faves, absolutely can't pick just one, but I'll list several that I really love...

Midnight
Gridlock
The Christmas Invasion
Smith and Jones
The End of Time, both parts
Human Nature/Family of Blood
The Runaway Bride
The Next Doctor
Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
Amy's Choice
The Eleventh Hour
The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang

I think I'll stop here or else I might list every Tenth and Eleventh Doctor episode! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:56 pm

favorite-favorite is Midnight.

Classic favorite is between genesis, earthshock, androzani, survival, oh i don't know . . . oh, and city of death!

by season, as everyone's done :
season 1 - parting of the ways followed by rose

season 2 - impossible/satan followed closely by fireplace

season 3 - Blink followed by Gridlock. (These 2 and smith & jones are the only season 3 ones I can tolerate. Can't stand the 3 part finale or the dalek 2 parter. Weak season to me.)

season 4 - midnight followed closely by turn left, planet of the ood, unicorn, love them all.

season 5 - The Big Bang followed by Amys choice. With the exception of 'victory' and 'venice' they are all complete masterpieces.

Last edited by kcooper76 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rust

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:14 am

Yeah, changing my Season Four pick to "Midnight". Absolutely Brilliant - and 100% character driven.

I can't even imagine how long it took to get the timing perfect for those lines.

EDIT: And I'm surprised, kcooper. To me, Season 3 was Eleven Episodes of pure brilliance. A pity "A Sound of Drums" and "Last of the Time Lords" couldn't hold together. I still wish we could have gotten more of Derek Jacobi as The Master. He had a presence and menace that John Simm just lacks. Derek felt more like "Classic Master", which is sorta pretentious of me since my only exposure to the classic Master was "The Five Doctors".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
regenerated and done

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:26 am

why midnight yeah season four but y midnight
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:41 am

It's more how much was done with so little.

It's essentially a One Act Play: One Set, and a whole bunch of people who have access to minimal props. You're limited to only what the actors bring with them. It's up to the acting to create the story, atmosphere, and tension.

Lesley Sharp deserves special mention. Not only did she have the audacious task of mimicking everyone's lines (She had to time to them, not vice versa), but she also spent a few minutes remaining perfectly still.

I don't think a lot of people realize exactly how difficult that actually is. You have to take small, shallow breaths but you can't increase the number of said breaths else you'll start vibrating. Go ahead - put yourself in her position (hands clutching head with knees tucked up in), and then take those small, shallow breaths that don't even move you. Not a whole lot of oxygen, is there?

I notice stuff like that because long ago, in the mists of time (When I was in High School), I actually played a Dead Body for a One Act play. Walked out on stage before the lights went up, was shot, and had to remain prone for twenty seven minutes in the exact position I'd fallen. I won the medal for Best Supporting Actor at that year's State One Act competition, for playing a corpse (Well, up till the last four minutes when I get up for the Fourth Wall shattering finale). Greatest compliment paid to me for that was the one judge who remarked "I swear, I thought you were a dummy!"

But I've kinda started to ramble...I think the main reason I loved Midnight was because it was a very basic storyline. A group of people, in a unknown location, facing the unknown and proceeding to degenerate from there. It's not a pleasant look at the Human condition, but it's a very real one. Especially when their distrust shifts to the Doctor, doubly for when nobody had bothered to learn the name of the woman who ended up saving them all.

Also, as an aside, I'm always impressed by how much acting David Tennant can do with just his eyes. Bravo, Mister Tennant!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:26 am

Rust wrote:
It's more how much was done with so little.

It's essentially a One Act Play: One Set, and a whole bunch of people who have access to minimal props. You're limited to only what the actors bring with them. It's up to the acting to create the story, atmosphere, and tension.

Lesley Sharp deserves special mention. Not only did she have the audacious task of mimicking everyone's lines (She had to time to them, not vice versa), but she also spent a few minutes remaining perfectly still.

I don't think a lot of people realize exactly how difficult that actually is. You have to take small, shallow breaths but you can't increase the number of said breaths else you'll start vibrating. Go ahead - put yourself in her position (hands clutching head with knees tucked up in), and then take those small, shallow breaths that don't even move you. Not a whole lot of oxygen, is there?

I notice stuff like that because long ago, in the mists of time (When I was in High School), I actually played a Dead Body for a One Act play. Walked out on stage before the lights went up, was shot, and had to remain prone for twenty seven minutes in the exact position I'd fallen. I won the medal for Best Supporting Actor at that year's State One Act competition, for playing a corpse (Well, up till the last four minutes when I get up for the Fourth Wall shattering finale). Greatest compliment paid to me for that was the one judge who remarked "I swear, I thought you were a dummy!"

But I've kinda started to ramble...I think the main reason I loved Midnight was because it was a very basic storyline. A group of people, in a unknown location, facing the unknown and proceeding to degenerate from there. It's not a pleasant look at the Human condition, but it's a very real one. Especially when their distrust shifts to the Doctor, doubly for when nobody had bothered to learn the name of the woman who ended up saving them all.

Also, as an aside, I'm always impressed by how much acting David Tennant can do with just his eyes. Bravo, Mister Tennant!

perfect explanation.

-
Back to top Go down
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:06 am

The Daemons. I love it! Pertwee, The Brigadier, Yates, Jo, Benton and The Master, at their best! Set in a nice, quiet, English village. Great momnets with all the characters, and the famous line:
"Chap with wings. Five rounds rapid."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5895
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:03 am

1- Keys of Marinus
2- Tomb of Cybermen
3- Inferno
4- Talons of WC
5- Visitation
6- Terror of Vervoids
7- Ghost Light
8- Movie
9- Empty Child/ Doctor Dances
10- Girl in the Fireplace
11- Pandorica Opens/ Big Bang
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:39 am

Favorite episode...hmm that is a tough one. While I really liked "Girl in the Fireplace" & "Planet of the Dead" and consider them favorites, my top pick would have to be "The Next Doctor". From some of the witty comments, the great opening scene and David Morrissey as Jackson Lake/Doctor, it really is my favorite episode. It was a good episode, and I really liked Morrissey as the Doctor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:43 am

artanyus wrote:
Favorite episode...hmm that is a tough one. While I really liked "Girl in the Fireplace" & "Planet of the Dead" and consider them favorites, my top pick would have to be "The Next Doctor". From some of the witty comments, the great opening scene and David Morrissey as Jackson Lake/Doctor, it really is my favorite episode. It was a good episode, and I really liked Morrissey as the Doctor.

Why 'Planet of the Dead'? To me, it was unbearably silly and actually, boring. I preferred 'Waters of Mars', which was much more dark and intense.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:23 pm

Rust wrote:

EDIT: And I'm surprised, kcooper. To me, Season 3 was Eleven Episodes of pure brilliance. A pity "A Sound of Drums" and "Last of the Time Lords" couldn't hold together. I still wish we could have gotten more of Derek Jacobi as The Master. He had a presence and menace that John Simm just lacks. Derek felt more like "Classic Master", which is sorta pretentious of me since my only exposure to the classic Master was "The Five Doctors".

Maybe the finale is what ruined the season for me. I felt this master just couldn't be taken seriously, it just felt silly. Utopia was good. I didn't love it, but it was good in introducing the master without introducing him, and in the satisfaction of getting some continuity explanationd via Captain Jack. As for the rest, it started out great (Gridlock is so creative in its story, it's brilliant). Then comes the dalek 2-parter. I was so looking forward to Daleks in Manhattan, but felt afterwards that it was awful. I know they were supposed to use daleks in the season, but they should have given them brief appearances (like in the Waters of Mars), instead of a 2-parter devoted to them. The story was uninteresting, the acting worse, and well, pig men. Seriously?! It then gets even worse. We get 'The Lazarus Expirement' which includes what I believe are the worst, most cringe-worthy, special effects of the series. I enjoyed the dramatic elements of 'The Family of Blood' as much as the rest of you, but the actual family of blood made terrible villains to me.
Then there is Martha. It is as if her character was made up on the spot, during the filming of her first episode. Now, I like Martha. She's very likable. But, her character was so insignificant. Rose, Donna and Amy have all had major story arcs and a major connection to the Doctor's fate. If Rose was 10's love, and Donna was his best friend, what was Martha? She does nothing, then is suddenly given her major role and responsibility in the finale. Up to that point, all she's done is get captured/kidnapped/attacked. Seriously, she appeared on 3 episodes of Torchwood and did nothing but get kidnapped/attacked like 10 times in those 3 episodes. Even when she returns in season 4, she barely has scenes with the Doctor. Oh, and for old time's sake, she gets captured and cloned. Oh, she stays on for 'The Doctor's Daughter', where she's once again seperated from everyone else, and barely mentioned until she finds her way back.
Back to top Go down
Rust

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:35 pm

Martha Jones: Professional Hostage.

You'll find no arguments from me on that front, she's definitely one of the weakest companions (Especially her hollow "I love the Doctor!" subplot). Thankfully, Martha didn't detract from the episodes for me.

The Dalek two-parter was fun. It was hardly on par with some of the other episodes, but it wasn't offensive like the finale and had good story progression. Setting the backdrop in the Depression was fun, too.

And I agree with you on Simm's Master. Outside the part where he comes looking for Martha, there wasn't a sense of menace about him and the story resolution was just massively weak.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:59 pm

Rust wrote:
Martha Jones: Professional Hostage.

You'll find no arguments from me on that front, she's definitely one of the weakest companions (Especially her hollow "I love the Doctor!" subplot). Thankfully, Martha didn't detract from the episodes for me.

The Dalek two-parter was fun. It was hardly on par with some of the other episodes, but it wasn't offensive like the finale and had good story progression. Setting the backdrop in the Depression was fun, too.

And I agree with you on Simm's Master. Outside the part where he comes looking for Martha, there wasn't a sense of menace about him and the story resolution was just massively weak.

His coming after Martha was totally out of nowhere! And I'm glad someone agrees with me about Martha's role. I prefer it when there is a certain fate connecting the Doctor and his companion. Even when Martha's family is kidnapped, we can't care as much as we want to because they weren't developed properly as characters. Jackie's character was better developed in any single episode than Martha's mother (do we even know her name?) was developed over a whole season. At best, she was a 'concerned mother', nothing more came out of the character. So much opportunity there! Oh, and I almost fogot that, if they didn't hit us over the head with it enough, the Doctor saves her life in the final minutes of The End of Time as she was nearly killed. Was that necessary? Out of all his companions and friends he says goodbye to during his regeneration, he has to save Martha's life one last time. I'm surprised they didn't want her to guest star on The Sarah Jane Adventures just to have Sarah and the kids rescue her. Obviously, they want us to be VERY aware of her professional hostage skills, it seems like a missed opportunity.
Back to top Go down
regenerated and done

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:02 pm

martha ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Actually, the biggest "Wha?" of that sequence is the fact she's now appearently married to Mickey, instead of Tom Milligan.

And yeah, he didn't have to go after Martha, but it was still John Simm's sole chance to showcase a menacing Master. John Simm had all the makings of a good Master, he just didn't have anything to work with. So I like that sequence if only because it gives a glimpse of "What Could Have Been", if John Simm had been given a good script, and the Master had been treated with respect as a character.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:17 pm

Rust wrote:
Actually, the biggest "Wha?" of that sequence is the fact she's now appearently married to Mickey, instead of Tom Milligan.

And yeah, he didn't have to go after Martha, but it was still John Simm's sole chance to showcase a menacing Master. John Simm had all the makings of a good Master, he just didn't have anything to work with. So I like that sequence if only because it gives a glimpse of "What Could Have Been", if John Simm had been given a good script, and the Master had been treated with respect as a character.

I agree. I believe that "better script" could have made an amazing finale. Based on that scene alone, it is really not his fault. He's fantastic. It's the writing that made it bad.
Back to top Go down
Rust

PostSubject: Re: fav episode   Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Indeed. I don't hold John Simm responsible for anything done to the Master. It's the writing that's at fault in that instance. John did the very best with what little was given to him.

Though I will admit, I got a kick out of his interaction with Parliament. That was genuinely amusing.

"What is that?"
"Mm am mmmf."
"What?"
"It's a gas mask."
"What for?"
"For the gas."
Back to top Go down
View user profile

fav episode
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum