Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
happydalek

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:17 pm

The Doctor pulling out the "Teach Yourself Tibetan" book immediately after looking at the "Tibetan Mountain Climbing" book ALWAYS makes me laugh! And from "Creature from the Pit":

Adastra: We call it... THE CREATURE!
The Doctor: You have such a way with words!

Adastra: We call it... THE PIT!
Romana: How original!

And the Doctor and Sarah Jane walking into the room with the robot mummy, and turning right back around and walking out again in "Pyramids of Mars."

The first thing that comes to mind from the new series is the montage of Jackie checking out Elton in Love and Monsters (but they really picked the wrong ELO song! Should have been "Sweet Talkin' Woman") Also the Doctor and Donna communicating with sign language in Partners in Crime -- just brilliant stuff from David Tennant and Catherine Tate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:20 pm

Right off the bat, this came up in an Eighth Doctor audio adventure called "Max War" as they were... headed for disaster unboard a runaway spaceship.

Doctor: Lucie, hold onto me!
Lucie: Will it help?
Doctor: No, not really!

And I agree on the sign-language bit from "Partner's in Crime". That was hysterical!

I also love many parts of "Planet of the Dead" when Malcolm is in the scene. He's such an adorable riot. Very Happy

Doctor: *over the mobile* Malcolm!
Malcolm: *using the Doctor's line from before* Not now! I'm busy!
~
Back to top Go down
ReverendKain

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2010-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:34 pm

First thing comes to mind is from Waters of Mars:

"State your name, rank, and intention."
"The Doctor... Doctor... Fun."

Cracks me up every time. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
^o^CORVUS^o^

Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:35 pm

From "The Stones of Blood"

Doctor: Look, K-9, I've got a job for you. You've always wanted to be a bloodhound--
K-9: Negative, Master.
Doctor: Yes you have. Yes you have!
K-9: Negative--
Doctor: Hush! Now here's your chance. Find Romana.

========================================
...^o^CORVUS^o^
Doctor Who: The Winds of Time
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corvusonline.net/timewinds/
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:48 pm

At 20 minutes in of "The Big Bang," I was laughing pretty hard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:47 pm

^o^CORVUS^o^ wrote:
From "The Stones of Blood"

Doctor: Look, K-9, I've got a job for you. You've always wanted to be a bloodhound--
K-9: Negative, Master.
Doctor: Yes you have. Yes you have!
K-9: Negative--
Doctor: Hush! Now here's your chance. Find Romana.

LOL

I remember that part!

I always loved it when K-9 argued with the Doctor.

~
Back to top Go down
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:28 am

K9 in Warrior's Gate describing himself as "has now deteriorated below zero optimum" and Adric comes back, "so, you're worse than useless?"

That, and the giant green junk monster.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:57 am

I was watching The Daemons today and the locals in the pub thought the Pertwee Doctor was a TV actor because of his costume and 'wig.'

Tennant putting the gas mask on and going 'Are you my mummy?'

A lot of what Matt Smith says is pretty durn funny, but he talks too fast for me to remember any of it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://emerdelac.wordpress.com
happydalek

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:17 am

I know these lines weren't intentionally supposed to be funny, but:

"NAH-SEENG IN ZE VURLD CAN STOP ME NOW!"
(and just look at his face as the credits roll -- it's like he's thinking "How long do I have to hold this expression?")

"You see that scanner there? That is what I call the scanner."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5968
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:07 pm

"I love your butler! He's so violent!" City of Death

"Would you mind not farting while I'm trying to save the world?" Aliens of London

Third Doctor calling Jo a "ham-fisted bun vendor" Terror of the Autons

The sign-language bit already mentioned of the Tenth Doctor and Donna. Partners in Crime

The First Doctor calling Ian "Chesterfield" and so on...

I'll try to think of some more. These come to me immediately and crack me up every time!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Redfern

Number of posts : 1203
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:20 pm

One of Tom's earliest lines when Harry Sullivan is trying to coax him back to the infirmery...

Doctor: "Who are you?"

Harry: "I'm the doctor."

Doctor: "You may be a doctor, but I'm the Doctor, the definite article, you might say!"

What's embarrassing is that I didn't catch the additional subtext of grammatical humor in that exchange when I first saw it in 1982. "The" in the English language is classified as a "definite article". Robert Holmes certainly was a clever writer!

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mzzkiti.com
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2141
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:21 pm

the one that makes me laugh is when the ninth docter tells the slitheen in disguise; would you mind not farting while I'm trying to save the world?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
happydalek

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:27 pm

I love the "violent butler" line as well, SeaDevil! Other line sthat always makes me laugh from that episode are:

Countess: I don't think he's as stupid as he seems.
Count: My dear, nobody could be as stupid as he seems.

Duggan: You know what I don't get?
Romana: I expect so.

Another memory of laughing at Doctor Who is in "The Seeds of Doom," when Scorby (or whoever it was) sticks a gun in the Doctor's back and says "Turn around!" and the Doctor steps around in a complete 360 degree circle!

I mentioned the comedy relief Daleks in "The Chase" (the "dumb" Dalek and the "lazy" Dalek) in another thread a while ago -- they made me laugh the first time I saw them, although they've worn off on me over the years and now I just find them irritating... sort of like how Jar Jar Binks in "The Phantom Menace" is funny the first time you see that movie, but after that...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
happydalek

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Just remembered something else that made me burst out laughing the first time I saw it -- in "Planet of Giants," right after the Doctor and Susan climb out of the sink drain, as the Doctor is catching his breath, he says what really sounds like "Ohhhh, shi --" and is abruptly cut off by Susan exclaiming "Grandfather!" I wonder if Carole Ann Ford ad-libbed that, to cut off Hartnell's near-swearing moment there? This one can join the (very short) list of near-swears in Doctor Who, along with "Spack off!" from Destiny of the Daleks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vicki

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:27 pm

Doctor Who makes me laugh so much, that it's hard to make a list! LOLZ

The Lodger is hilarious, especially the football match, The End of Time's Master Race, Partners In Crime...Donna and the Doctor's miming, the adipose, the dragging scene in The Next Doctor, actually, a lot about that episode makes me laugh in a very good way...the fish custard scene in The Eleventh Hour...there's just so many hilarious bits! I love it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:25 am

I can't count the number of times Doctor Who has made me laugh. Seriously, there's just no way...virtually every episode has made me laugh at least once (though it wasn't always the writers' intention to do so), and many of them have me cracking up constantly from beginning to end. I can think of a dozen hilarious bits from "City of Death" alone! I can pick a few of my personal favorites, though. I'm a sucker for witty dialogue, and this show has had plenty of that...

From "Dragonfire"...
Seventh Doctor: Excuse me, what's your attitude towards the nature of existence? For example, do you hold any strong theological opinions?
Guard: I think you'll find that most educated people regard mythical convictions as fundamentally animistic.
Seventh Doctor: I see. That's a very interesting concept.
Guard: Personally, I find most experiences border on the existential.

Followed a short while later by...

Belasz: What are you doing here?
Seventh Doctor: That's a very difficult question. Why is everyone around here so preoccupied with metaphysics?

From "Nightmare of Eden"...
Romana II: I don't think we should interfere.
Fourth Doctor: Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say.

...and the bit in "Waters of Mars" where the Tenth Doctor does the whole, "The Doctor, doctor, fun" bit makes me laugh every time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
khana

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:51 am

Like MysteryLad, I find that Doctor Who is constantly making me crack up.

Some of my favorites, though...

Loved the signing between the Dr and Donna, and the "The Doctor, Doctor, Fun" bit from Waters of Mars, and of course, the "Are you my mummy?" followed by, "If you could please concentrate," in Poison Sky

Let's see, for some unmentioned ones...

From Rose:
Dr: "I'm the Doctor, by the way. What's your name?"
Rose: "Rose."
Dr: "Nice to meet you, Rose. Now run for your life!"

School Reunion, the whole bit, I don't remember exactly how it went, but something like,

Teacher: "And how you came here was positively bizarre. X person won the lottery!"
Dr: "How's that weird?"
Teacher: "She didn't even play the lottery. And the winning ticket was just slipped under her door in the middle of the night."
Dr: "Hmm." *innocent expression*

I laughed so hard at that. It was just so... the Doctor just gets what he wants, you know? It's so... so incredibly silly.

I also loved, in the Aliens of London two-parter, when they get in the cabinet room, the Doctor gets all smug, and confidently declares that the Slitheen couldn't get in. And, it was Rose I think, said, "And, how do we get out?"

The Doctor's facial expression, as he responded simply, "Ah." Oh, it cracked me up.

And... ah, yes! In the Age of Steel episode, where Mickey says, "You're just making this up as you go along!" To which the Doctor replies, "Yep. But I do it brilliantly!"

And of course, the running gag with Harriet Jones, the whole, "I'm Harriet Jones, <insert political position>" followed by, "Yes, we know who you are." That had me cracking up.

I could keep going XD Doctor Who is positively bristling with fantastically hilarious moments. Seriously, every single episode has me laughing.

I guess it's obvious by the fact that I'm even on this site, but seriously, I <3 Doctor Who ^-^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:00 am

The moment that made me laugh the hardest was the episode smith and jones with K9. When hes about to blow up the goo the principle is like BAD DOG and K9 is just like Affirmative in the cheeriest voice. I lol'd
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:06 am

"Am I naked in front of millions of viewers?"
"ABSOLUTELY!"
"Ladies, your viewing figures just went up."
~ Jack and Fashion Robots, Bad Wolf

"One final thing: Your name."
"What about my name?"
"It's too long. By the time I've called out...what was your name again?"
"Romanadvoratrelundar."
"Well, by the time I've called that out, you could be dead. I'll call you Romana."
"I don't like Romana!"
"It's either Romana or Fred!"
"Fine. Call me Fred."
"Alright then. Come on Romana."
~ The Doctor and Romana, The Ribos Operation
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Just laughed a lot at the timey wimey scenes in the museum during The Big Bang.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1841
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:04 pm

Rocco wrote:
The moment that made me laugh the hardest was the episode smith and jones with K9. When hes about to blow up the goo the principle is like BAD DOG and K9 is just like Affirmative in the cheeriest voice. I lol'd

Ahem...School Reunion...Ahem. Agree, very funny scene. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nuggan

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:59 am

Some of my immediate memorable faves are with Donna:

The Doctor: The last time, with Martha, it got complicated. And that was all my fault. I just want a mate.
Donna Noble: You just want to mate?
The Doctor: I just want *a* mate!
Donna Noble: You're not matin' with me Sunshine!
The Doctor: A mate! I want *a* mate!
Donna Noble: Well, just as well, because I'm not having any of that nonsense! I mean, you're just a long streak of nothing, y'know, alien nothing!

Donna: I'm waving at fat.

The Doctor: I'm unique - never been another like me, 'cause all that regeneration energy went into the hand. Look at the hand - I love that hand - but then you touched it. *Wham!*
[Donna startles]
The Doctor: Shhhh! Instantaneous biological metacrisis! I grew... out of you. Still, could be worse...
Donna Noble: Oi! Watch it, spaceman!
The Doctor: Oi! Watch it, earthgirl!
[Donna is taken aback]
The Doctor: Oooh... I sound like you! I sound all - all sort of... rough!
Donna Noble: Oi!
The Doctor: Oi!
The Doctor: Spanners, shhhhh! Must've picked up a bit of your voice, that's all - is it? Did I? No! Ohhh, you are kidding me, no way! One heart - I've got one heart. This body... has got only one heart!
Donna Noble: [Donna feels his heart beating] What, like, you're human?
The Doctor: Awww, that's disgusting!
The Doctor: Oi!
Donna Noble: *Stop it!*
The Doctor: [suddenly realizing] No, wait, I'm... part-Time Lord, part human! Well, isn't that wizard?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?   Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Yes many times. I laugh really hard. Very Happy

Just saw a clip of this NOT the episode, but I laughed really hard.

Doctor- Tardis goes bang bang. Daleks go BOOM!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down

Have you ever laughed over Doctor Who?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: