Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
happydalek

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:56 pm

ac1mustangpilot wrote this in another thread:
Quote :
The other two that I seem to watch a lot are "The Next Doctor" as well as "Planet of the Dead" for the fact that they're a lot of fun and neither make me cry.

The first time I cried over Doctor Who was seeing "An Unearthly Child" at my first convention in 1985. Here was this show that I had loved for the past seven years, and now I was seeing the very first episode -- keep in mind it was a really rare thing to be able to see anything besides Tom Baker and Peter Davison back then.

The next time I cried over a Doctor Who is a strange one: it's "The Curse of Fenric," toward the end when they're facing the firing squad, and Ace thinks she's about to die, and she blurts out "Mom, I'm sorry!", dropping her tough-girl attitude and showing her true feelings -- and then again during the last scene, which I think is Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred's finest on-screen moment.

After that, I think I've been getting sappier and more sentimental as I've gotten older, because things I'd seen previously that never made me cry before started to have an effect on me. Jo's farewell scene in "The Green Death" and the 3rd Doctor's death in "Planet of the Spiders" made me cry upon rewatching them in the 90s, despite having never cried at them before.

The new series has made me cry quite a few times, like the Dalek's "suicide" at the end of "Dalek," the 9th Doctor's death scene, the Doctor realizing Madame de Pompadour has died in "The Girl in the Fireplace," and John Smith wishing he could stay as himself in "The Family of Blood." But there are two episodes that I pretty much cry the entire way through: "Rose" and "School Reunion."

I watched "Rose" with a bunch of friends, and five seconds into the opening titles, everyone had one of two reactions: 1) burst into cheering; or 2) burst into tears -- I was the second. The combination of hearing the theme song, seeing the TARDIS tumbling through a weird swirly tunnel, and seeing the BBC logo was pretty overwhelming -- this was no fan production; it's the real deal! The other moments that brought me to tears are:

- the first shot of the TARDIS interior, where the camera pulls back as far as it can go, and we see this massive, beautiful space

- when the Doctor grabs Rose's hand, and they run across the bridge, and we get that canted angle of them charging headfirst into who-knows-what with big smiles on their faces -- at last, they're a proper Doctor and companion for the 21st century!

- the end, when Rose runs into the TARDIS in slow-motion

And pretty much from Sarah Jane's first scene in "School Reunion," I was in tears the rest of the way through! Nowadays this is mitigated by the fact that we've seen so much more of Sarah Jane since "School Reunion," and we know that K9 doesn't stay dead, but viewing it is still a powerful experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:57 pm

The only moments i ever cried was at the end of Series 2 when rose is talking. I got all choked up and couldn't hold it back. It was just emotional.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:10 pm

I think there weren't many episodes between series 2 and series 4 that didn't leave me in tears.

I will say this... as shocking (and slightly embarassing) as it is... but the "Doctor Who and the Daleks" movie made me cry. Mostly anyone on here who knows me knows that I have a strong attachment to the little killer pepper pots and while seeing them destroyed doesn't really bother me too much, hearing it crying out for help or in agony really upsets me.

In the movie, the Doctor, Susan, and Ian attacked their food serving Dalek, first blinding it and then breaking its connection with the static electricity. It died crying for help and just well, crying. I cried and cried. I felt so horrible for the thing. Heck, even mentioning it right now gets me choked up.

I also sobbed in "Victory of the Daleks" when the two Ironsides and the bronze Dalek were disintegrated by the new Daleks. That was largely due to the fact that through the whole episode I kept seeing my character, Dalek Flak VII as one of the Ironsides and to see "him" killed was more than I could swallow. I never really recovered from that and wound up hating the episode, and the 11th Doctor, as a result.

"Vincent and the Doctor". Enough said. I cried a lot.

At the end of "The Pandorica Opens" was when I finally fell for the 11th Doctor and seeing him struggle and cry just upset me. I wound up bursting into tears and having to give myself a long break before Artanyus and I plunged into "The Big Bang". For some odd reason, that one didn't make me cry too much. The only part that really upset me, outside of the Dalek crying for "mercy" was coming to the realization as the Doctor stepped into the crack that nothing about the Eighth Doctor existed. I am fairly certain I cried then.

I avoid "Gridlock" for the fact that it tears me up what happened to the people on New Earth and the music that surrounds it is incredibly beautiful and heart-wrenching. There's very few times I can listen to "Boe" without breaking down and crying.

Same goes for "Song of Freedom" during the ending of "Journey's End".

And though I haven't seen "The End of Time", I get really distressed at the thought of saying goodbye to the tenth Doctor. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it because I know how powerful of an actor that David Tennant is and it will haunt me for a long time.

Oh, I'm going to add, in the first of the two parter "The Satan Pit" as soon as they saw the black hole I started crying. That two-parter upset me to no end and I have to seriously avoid it due to severe nightmare effects that I got when I watched it the first time.

Ahhh why am I responding to this because now I am crying. Crying or Very sad
~
Back to top Go down
happydalek

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:13 pm

Ooh, sorry, a1c! Let's start another thread, changing the word "cried" to "laughed"! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
^o^CORVUS^o^

Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:37 pm

Like a1, "Vincent and the Doctor" got to me several times.

========================================
...^o^CORVUS^o^
Doctor Who: The Winds of Time
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corvusonline.net/timewinds/

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:12 pm

The sight of the Ood huddled together, cowering in that cage in 'Planet of the Ood' with countertenor Mark Chambers' voice soaring above it all, always gets me.
Back to top Go down
Vicki

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:23 pm

I've cried a number of times at Doctor Who! Here's a few off the top of my head...Doomsday, of course, and Family of Blood, when we saw John Smith's life with Joan Redfern, and Journey's End when the Doctor made Donna forget, The Next Doctor, when Jackson Lake led the crowd in thanking the Doctor, pretty much all the way through the End of Time, Voyage of the Damned during several scenes, several times during Gridlock, and in Amy's Choice, Cold Blood, Vincent and the Doctor, The Big Bang...and I'm sure I'm not remembering the many other times...this is one of the many reasons I LOVE THIS SHOW!!! It makes me cry and laugh, often in the same episode, more than any other show I can think of!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:23 pm

A lot of stuff has given me goosebumps, like The Doctor Dances, and Eccleston's 'you need a Doctor' line, the fury of the Time Lord speech at the end of 'Family of Blood,' and the realization of Professor Yana (I am THE MASTER...), but when the Doctor asks the curator at the art museum to give his opinion of Van Gogh as Van Gogh listens in 'Vincent And The Doctor' it was unabashed Niagra Falls for me the entire time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://emerdelac.wordpress.com
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:29 am

Father's Day... no question. Every time I see it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5968
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:29 pm

The First Doctor locking out Susan from the TARDIS and giving her his goodbye speech in The Dalek Invasion of Earth

The Third Doctor driving off alone in The Green Death

The Third Doctor dying and regenerating in Planet of the Spiders

Sarah Jane discovering the TARDIS in School Reunion

Watching Rose slip away through the vortex in Doomsday

The Tenth Doctor wiping Donna's memories in Journey's End

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:53 pm

I have never actually cried over Doctor Who properly, but the second time viewing Tennant's regeneration brang a couple of tears to my eyes.

Reason I never cried the first time was probably because I was so excited over the episode, and after watching it a second time it hit me and I realised my first Doctor.. had gone. Sad

I was also CLOSE to crying after viewing Vincent and the Doctor. A proper, classic episode.

EDIT:: I tell a lie. I think I actually cried when Rose left. I remember seeing that scene to this day. I loved Rose and watching her slip away was rather upsetting.
Back to top Go down
^o^CORVUS^o^

Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:52 pm

Calixar wrote:
Father's Day... no question. Every time I see it.

========================================
...^o^CORVUS^o^
Doctor Who: The Winds of Time
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corvusonline.net/timewinds/
Nocturniah

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:55 pm

Shatterbang wrote:
the realization of Professor Yana (I am THE MASTER)

This got me, too. There are a lot of moments in the RTD era that get me. A few in the current series as well.

The end of The Green Death, though... the look on the Doctor's face (something in the eyes, I think) as he leaves Jo and the party. Too numb to cry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/nocturniah
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:09 am

I don't recall Doctor Who ever making me cry; though it's possible, I just don't remember it ever happening. There've been plenty of moments that've brought a lump to my throat, though.

"The Aztecs:" The First Doctor hesitates before leaving the tomb. Out of his companions' sight, he retrieves the ring given to him by Cameca, whose affections, we now realize, he may have actually returned. We get a real sense of the old time traveler's loneliness, a facet of the character made all the more tragic by the things we learn about him as the series progresses into the modern era.

"The Tomb of the Cybermen:" The Second Doctor comforts Victoria, who misses her late father, by telling her how he keeps his family with him in his memories.

"The War Games:" With righteous indignation, the Second Doctor defends himself against his own people on the grounds that evil must be fought. They agree, and yet they find against him. In my opinion, this moment defines the Doctor's stance against the perils of orthodoxy for orthodoxy's sake, and is a defining moment for the character overall. A great swan song for Troughton.

"The Green Death:" Folks have already mentioned the Third Doctor's silent farewell to Jo as he slips away unnoticed and drives into the night, but this one gets me every time.

"The Hand of Fear:" When the Fourth Doctor has to leave Sarah Jane on Earth, it wrecked me (she was my favorite companion for a long time, and remains a top contender on my list to this day). The Doctor had taken to introducing her as his "best friend," a distinction he'd never made before, and we can see in his eyes how sad her departure makes him. And once again, the source of his sorrow is the Time Lords and their rigid rules...

"Earthshock:" Lots of people hated Adric, and still do. I don't get it; while Matthew Waterhouse has since been lampooned for his offscreen antics during those years, Adric was a great identification factor for many DW viewers, myself included. He was a smart kid, but a kid just the same, as prone to fits of adolescent anger as he was to moments of sheer mathematical brilliance. As teenage characters go, Adric was very well written for the time, and when he sacrifices himself in a doomed effort to stop the crash of a ship sabotaged by the Cybermen, his bravery and intelligence are with him to the very end. Nyssa's and Tegan's reactions to his death, and the Fifth Doctor's shocked facial expression, drive the moment home like a knife.

Season 26: This was the final season for the Seventh Doctor and of the classic show, and in many ways it set the tone for how companions are handled in the modern series. The stories "Ghost Light," "The Curse of Fenric," and "Survival" each have their own merits and flaws, but taken together as a trilogy they also tell the compelling and emotional story of a teenage girl's childhood trauma and her painful transformation from girl to woman. Ace's character arc is the prototype for all the companion character arcs we've seen since the 2005 reboot, and it's quite a journey when taken in all at once (McCoy and Sophie Aldred really clicked onscreen, which is a big part of what makes this sequence work). I'm especially moved by the scene in "Fenric" when in order to save the day the Doctor must cause Ace to lose faith in him, the only father figure she really has...

"The Parting of the Ways:" I was slow to warm to Eccleston's Ninth Doctor. I didn't dislike the character, and enjoyed the new show immensely, but he never fully crystallized in my mind as the Doctor until the end, when he tricks Rose into thinking there is hope for survival, only to once again sacrifice himself to save the day. His superb swan song is the strongest finale of the RTD era and wonderfully underscores the core strengths of the character.

"School Reunion:" Seeing Sarah Jane again was emotional enough, but Ten's barely-restrained speech about how impossible it is to watch humans he cares about age and die...it's a great moment that once again captures the tragedy in being functionally immortal and very much alone in the universe.

"The Girl in the Fireplace:" A great episode overall, and one of the saddest deaths of a character in the show's history, made all the more remarkable by the fact that this is the character's only episode. Amazing.

"Planet of the Ood:" The scenes of enslaved Ood huddling in cages are hard enough to handle, but when Donna begs Ten to turn off her temporary ability to hear the Ood telepathic song of suffering, the intensity of the moment is palpable. Catherine Tate's finest turn, right here.

"Vincent and the Doctor:" This is another episode that requires little elaboration on my part, but I will say it's probably the series' best-ever portrayal of an historical figure, made all the more impressive in the sensitivity, pathos, and gravitas with which the subject of mental illness is treated. When Eleven takes Vincent into the future (breaking, I might add, all kinds of rules just for the sake of bringing joy into one man's very difficult life...I love Eleven!) and Bill Nighy praises Vincent as the greatest artist who ever lived, the emotional pitch is at its highest.

I love this show. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:25 pm

a1cmustangpilot, i have to give you a warning. i have watched the end of time 3 times. it never loses it's effect on you. the perfomances from everyone is so powerfull, even when you know what will happen, it still hits you like a sledgehammer each time. i even watched it with my nieces and nephew, and he cried, but he made it seem like something was in his eye. here's this little tough baseball player, and he couldn't stop crying over tennant. it's that powerfull.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vicki

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:00 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
a1cmustangpilot, i have to give you a warning. i have watched the end of time 3 times. it never loses it's effect on you. the perfomances from everyone is so powerfull, even when you know what will happen, it still hits you like a sledgehammer each time. i even watched it with my nieces and nephew, and he cried, but he made it seem like something was in his eye. here's this little tough baseball player, and he couldn't stop crying over tennant. it's that powerfull.

Absolutely 100% agreed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:05 pm

I teared up at the end of "Cold Blood." I think people can figure out why...

Not cry, "teared up." Tears in eyes. Haven't had a good sob in years. Not even at funerals of grandparents. I'm dead inside!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:19 pm

I have said it in other threads as one of my most memorable, but yes, The Green Death ending. I am so looking forward to Sarah Jane this fall
Spoiler:

Jo was like the Sarah Jane of the Pertwee Doctor.

And of the farewell tour at the end of The End of Time, the bookstore gets me everytime!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
khana

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:29 am

bret_owen99 wrote:

Agreed, as well. The last 20 minutes just... my heart crumples and breaks, it's amazing, you get to cry all sorts of tears. Sorrow, despair, loneliness, happiness, bittersweet, so many emotional tears that if you try to categorize them, you'll get confused. Your heart will just crack and crumble, like every ounce of your love for David Tennant as the Doctor just... rips from you, from every fiber of your being.

It's worth seeing... as hard as it is to say goodbye, it's still worth it, it really feels like closure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elbert

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:15 am

Ok I have teared up three times over Dr who the 1st was sadly over the fox movie just being there after all those years and here was new dr who even though the movie was somewhat of a let down, still it was all about the moment.

Second was not about the show but rather when I heard about the passing of Jon Pertwee. It was shortly after the movie I think, and it was my childhood hero dying man that was worse than say... Lennon dying to beatles fans...

And the third was in the third season of the new series in Utopia when Derek Jacobi turns to chantho and says his name "I..am.. the..Master" I almost lost it there. even though weve had daleks and cybermen and heck even macra by then, this was the master the continuation of one of the greatest characters in who lore, thats when it felt like this was the same show i had been watching 20 plus years of my life.

Well maybe one ore Vincent and the Doctor as well that hit it out of the box for me
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:38 pm

empty child when the doctor is happy yelling "this time no one dies" i have to say i did lose it and i don't tear up to often especially over tv and movies.
Back to top Go down
Nuggan

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:44 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:

And though I haven't seen "The End of Time", I get really distressed at the thought of saying goodbye to the tenth Doctor. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it because I know how powerful of an actor that David Tennant is and it will haunt me for a long time.

~

We stalled and stalled Friday night when we watched End of Time.

You are sooooo right a1c. There has been alot of comments about his mooning at the end, but I have to say, after three days since I watched it, I'm still affected.

Feel stupid being a 35 year old mother so deeply affected by a television character.

Sniff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
khana

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Nuggan wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:

~

We stalled and stalled Friday night when we watched End of Time.

You are sooooo right a1c. There has been alot of comments about his mooning at the end, but I have to say, after three days since I watched it, I'm still affected.

Feel stupid being a 35 year old mother so deeply affected by a television character.

Sniff.

Don't feel bad. The ending of that episode was brutal. For anyone who loves David Tennant, and didn't want him to leave... absolutely brutal.

Still, it's good to say goodbye, to have that sense of closure. After having seen it a few times, I find this youtube tribute here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD5VxRGkeQI&playnext_from=TL&videos=7s4qlruGrso to be an excellent summation. You've got to see the End of Time first, but then, it's a heart wrenching tribute.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nuggan

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:56 pm

Brutal sums it up.

BRUTAL.

Great You Tube vid. Brilliant! Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?   Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:23 pm

The show has never actually made me cry, but there have been a few emotional impacts that hit me at my core.

Father's Day, when Pete figures out how to stop the Reapers and walks to his literal death in order to protect his family. His speech about how most men don't get a few extra hours was especially powerful.

Dalek, When the Dalek exposes itself in order to feel sunlight. It's a realization that anyone, no matter how dark and how far gone, can see the light. A pity the season finale sabotaged this wonderful episode. We all knew the Daleks would be back, but RTD could have held off another season to give this episode the first season to itself.

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, "Everybody lives, Rose. Just this once...EVERYBODY LIVES!"

The Waters of Mars, while the Doctor's in the midst of a ego driven hysteria, he completely misses the Commander walk calmly into her house and shoot herself in order to preserve the time line. Bad enough she had to die in the first place, but the Doctor forced her to take her own life in order to keep events in motion.

Amy's Choice, When Amy asks the Doctor "What good are you?" after Rory's apparent Death.

Vincent and the Doctor, when Amy's so excited to see more of Van Gogh's work, only to discover that he still committed suicide and the Doctor consoling her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Have you ever cried over Doctor Who?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: