Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 
 

 Primeval Series 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheGirlWhoWaited
RANK: UNIT Trooper


Number of posts : 27
Age : 30
Registration date : 2010-06-27

PostSubject: Primeval Series 4   Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:12 am

New to the forum so I apologize in advance if this thread has already been posted and way over done but like I said since I am new just wanted to post it and chat with other Primeval fans.

Just heard that series 4 has wrapped filming and series 5 is possibly now underway with filming Very Happy
I for one am quite excited cause I absolutely loved the show.

What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brittycupcakes.tumblr.com
artanyus
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1513
Age : 34
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:19 am

Up through series 3 I was excited, but after they canceled it, then brought it back and had one of my new favorite characters leaving, it just wasn't the same anymore.

Plus, I wanted more prehistoric creatures, and now it's nothing more than Future Predators and Giant insects controlling a sepia toned future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:23 am

Agreed Artanyus.

What's the point of Primeval if all they're going to do is emmulate Doctor Who?

Besides, the future is NOT in sepia... thank you...

And Daleks will whup the FP's butt... Very Happy

I might watch a few episodes of the new series just to see what it's like because who knows, it could actually become a whole lot better.

But with so many new team members, it's not small and quaint anymore... it's like... big now. *sigh* I like small casts. It built up intimacy. This now though? Uhg.

I'm glad Jason Flemyng moved on to other projects. I still wish I could get a figure of him though.
~
Back to top Go down
TheGirlWhoWaited
RANK: UNIT Trooper


Number of posts : 27
Age : 30
Registration date : 2010-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:24 am

I can understand this.
I think whats been good for me or rather whats helped me hang on was I just recently finished season 3 so I was super into it and real bummed when I found out they cancelled it BUT i found out they brought it back so fast in between that time that I think I am still able to hold on.
I would really like to see some old school creatures come back in the story line though, I too am over the futuristic ones.
I think 4 will be such a huge deciding factor for everyone!
I hope they dont fail ha
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brittycupcakes.tumblr.com
artanyus
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1513
Age : 34
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:31 am

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
Agreed Artanyus.

What's the point of Primeval if all they're going to do is emmulate Doctor Who?

Besides, the future is NOT in sepia... thank you...

And Daleks will whup the FP's butt... Very Happy

I might watch a few episodes of the new series just to see what it's like because who knows, it could actually become a whole lot better.

But with so many new team members, it's not small and quaint anymore... it's like... big now. *sigh* I like small casts. It built up intimacy. This now though? Uhg.

I'm glad Jason Flemyng moved on to other projects. I still wish I could get a figure of him though.
~

The small cast was great because it also helped in developing the characters more too. Now, I'm wondering how much will be sacrificed on the development of the characters and their relationships with one another.

Granted series 4 could be a whole lot better, and I too will probably end up watching some of it to see how it is, but I don't intend to get my hopes up on it only to be disappointed.

And yes, it is good seeing Jason in other projects. The show was just something more for him to add to his resume of acting credits, and he is a great actor. Maybe one day we will find a figure of him though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:33 am

Despite my love for it, I think they should have kept it cancelled. But maybe it's better that they go to the future anyways, so that way I won't be going, "That is WRONG!" at every "monster of the week" scenario that they find.

Personally, I'd love to see a "Primeval" and "Prehistoric Park" crossover. That should be canon! Very Happy

Oh, and let Danny keep his little pyroraptor named Bluebird... and Connor with Giselle... and then Basheer... who will look over at Stephen, and in his tyrannosaur voice say, "I'm hungry!"
~
Back to top Go down
TheGirlWhoWaited
RANK: UNIT Trooper


Number of posts : 27
Age : 30
Registration date : 2010-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:39 am

I do think its best to not get your hopes up but still go ahead and watch it.
Like you both have said who knows? maybe they will surprise us!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://brittycupcakes.tumblr.com
artanyus
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1513
Age : 34
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:44 am

Quote :
Despite my love for it, I think they should have kept it cancelled. But maybe it's better that they go to the future anyways, so that way I won't be going, "That is WRONG!" at every "monster of the week" scenario that they find.

Personally, I'd love to see a "Primeval" and "Prehistoric Park" crossover. That should be canon! Very Happy

Oh, and let Danny keep his little pyroraptor named Bluebird... and Connor with Giselle... and then Basheer... who will look over at Stephen, and in his tyrannosaur voice say, "I'm hungry!"
~

A Primeval/Prehistoric Park crossover would be totally awesome and definitely canon. After all Nigel was in one episode of the show and he was the only smart person in the room full of reporters.

And yes, Danny needs to keep Bluebird, as well as Connor keeping Giselle. Poor Stephen though, no one ever liked him really. Though there was good reason for that too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:50 am

artanyus wrote:
Quote :
Despite my love for it, I think they should have kept it cancelled. But maybe it's better that they go to the future anyways, so that way I won't be going, "That is WRONG!" at every "monster of the week" scenario that they find.

Personally, I'd love to see a "Primeval" and "Prehistoric Park" crossover. That should be canon! Very Happy

Oh, and let Danny keep his little pyroraptor named Bluebird... and Connor with Giselle... and then Basheer... who will look over at Stephen, and in his tyrannosaur voice say, "I'm hungry!"
~

A Primeval/Prehistoric Park crossover would be totally awesome and definitely canon. After all Nigel was in one episode of the show and he was the only smart person in the room full of reporters.

And yes, Danny needs to keep Bluebird, as well as Connor keeping Giselle. Poor Stephen though, no one ever liked him really. Though there was good reason for that too.

Uhg, you know I forgot about that part. It was one of Helen's clones, honestly because Nigel is NOT THAT STUPID!

He also wouldn't have tried to pet a baby Deinonychus. I hate what they did to him. Sad So not canon!

Yes, the raptors had a very good reason for not liking Stephen. Giselle's favourite past time is dive-bombing him. Of course, she can't do that when the Doctor is present because he'll tell her not to. However, if Captain Jack is there, she'll just look pathetic and miserable and like no one in the world loves her.

Shifty on the other hand, will just look at everyone like he's never been fed a day in his life. They so need more prehistoric creatures that are actually fun rather than ones that just eat people. That's so stereotypical.
~
Back to top Go down
greenk9
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1313
Age : 45
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:27 am

so did anyone see the season 4 opener? bbc america?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3520
Age : 43
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:58 am

greenk9 wrote:
so did anyone see the season 4 opener? bbc america?
I just finished watching the first 2 episodes.

I was a little apprehensive going in. I loved Series 1 & 2 but really didn't like 3, and wasn't convinced this new series was going to be any better. As soon as I heard the first line of dialogue - "My name is James Lester." - I was into it.

After 2 episodes, it seems like the same Primeval. The new team is pretty good. Connor, Abby and Lester really hold the show together. Without them it wouldn't be the same. I'm not a fan of the new team leader, but I didn't really like Quinn, either. Probably because I'm still mad about Cutter getting killed.

The CG is slightly improved. The movements are still a little jerky and uncoordinated, but the renderings and textures are improved. Light sources on the creatures look much better, so they fit in the scenes better.

My biggest gripe about the series (and this is a BIG gripe with me) is that they don't seem to be using any mounted cameras. Every shot the cameras moving slightly, even when it's just close-ups of people sitting and talking. I'm not a fan of this type of camera work as it tends to disorient me a little and can even make me nauseous. Buy a tripod, people.

Bashir from Deep Space Nine was a nice surprise. I'd forgotten he was in it and didn't recognize him at first. Not sure what to make of his character yet. His intentions are unknown at this point, but I'm interested to see how he plays out.

Overall I enjoyed it as much as I've enjoyed Primeval in the past, and I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the series.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3520
Age : 43
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:48 am

I forgot to mention.... unless you watch the 5 webisodes that link Seasons 3 & 4, you're going to be a little confused. I didn't watch them before watching Season 4 and it had me scratching my head at a few things.

Webisode 1

Webisode 2

Webisode 3

Webisode 4

Webisode 5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1313
Age : 45
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Yeah like you I watched the webisodes- but beforehand... I sort of wish they were in the episode itself...because it introduces people to some of the new characters and their backstory.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3520
Age : 43
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:36 am

greenk9 wrote:
Yeah like you I watched the webisodes- but beforehand... I sort of wish they were in the episode itself...because it introduces people to some of the new characters and their backstory.
I'm not a fan of webisodes, but I really wish I'd watched them first.

Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3520
Age : 43
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:41 pm

Just finished episode 3. Meh. No sign of Lester, lousy CGI and an uninteresting major story with an interesting minor story. Next week's episode looks the same but a slightly different monster. But at least it's got Lester.

Connor not only saved the day in the episode, but he saved the episode. He's great. I do wonder how much longer I'll be watching this though. There is no interesting "series arc" happening, so there really isn't much to look forward to. Just a bunch of people with a bunch of secrets.

The one thing I'm enjoying about it other than Connor and Lester is Danny Quinn. Him NOT being in the show has made it so much better. Good riddance!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:56 pm

*much love to Danny Quinn.

~
Back to top Go down
rdks
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3520
Age : 43
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:21 am

He might have been a decent character, but I could just never get past certain attributes of the actor. He looked, sounded and acted almost exactly like someone I know in real life who I really don't get along with. Because of that I just couldn't get comfortable with the character. And he wasn't Cutter.

Same thing happened to me in Series 4 of Doctor Who with Donna. Catherine Tate is just way too close to my ex-wife for me to enjoy watching her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:34 am

I'm sorry on both accounts then. I've had instances where a character reminded me too much of mum, so I can understand where you're coming from. I'm just sorry that some people who hurt you appear in shows you like. Sad

~
Back to top Go down
greenk9
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1313
Age : 45
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:32 pm

I think alot of people were turned away when cutter departed. If it was not for connor, abbey and lester I would have lost interest...I'm still giving it a chance..but do agree- where is the story arc?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3520
Age : 43
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:03 am

Episode 4 just finished. Atrocious. This show is officially in the toilet. The writing of this episode was so bad. Doctor Who Series 5 bad. Almost.

I knew this episode was in trouble from the pre-credits sequence. An 8-foot lizard hiding itself inside a candy vending machine, without damaging it at all, just so it can bite a guy's hand when he tries to retrieve his candy. These lizards were so smart, they knew the layout of the school they were in so well that they could silently move around it, staying out of sight right until the moment they needed to strike. Even cutting off students who go to this school every day.

I could go on for pages how bad this episode was, but I won't. Instead I'll do my best to forget I ever saw it. I'll watch the rest of the series just to see Connor and Lester but I've given up hope on anything being as decent as the first 2 seasons.

No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:15 am

rdks wrote:
Episode 4 just finished. Atrocious. This show is officially in the toilet. The writing of this episode was so bad. Doctor Who Series 5 bad. Almost.

I knew this episode was in trouble from the pre-credits sequence. An 8-foot lizard hiding itself inside a candy vending machine, without damaging it at all, just so it can bite a guy's hand when he tries to retrieve his candy. These lizards were so smart, they knew the layout of the school they were in so well that they could silently move around it, staying out of sight right until the moment they needed to strike. Even cutting off students who go to this school every day.

I could go on for pages how bad this episode was, but I won't. Instead I'll do my best to forget I ever saw it. I'll watch the rest of the series just to see Connor and Lester but I've given up hope on anything being as decent as the first 2 seasons.

No

I keep getting told that I should watch the new series but because of my renewed interest in WWII that includes writing, I fear getting distracted. Is it honestly this bad? I love prehistoric creatures and learning about them, which was what made Primeval difficult after a time, because even normally docile creatures were suddenly killing people. It was a "monster of the week" thing (which "Doctor Who" does) and I just grew tired of it. The overall story arc was relatively boring.

Are any of these creatures prehistoric?
~
Back to top Go down
rdks
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3520
Age : 43
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:37 am

LtViperPilot wrote:
Are any of these creatures prehistoric?
So far, we've had a Spinosaurus, a Kaprosuchus, a bunch of Therocephalian, and some new future creatures that were like gorillas with T-Rex heads. All of them complete with big, nasty, pointy teeth and an appetite for people.

There is no relevant information provided in the show to help the viewers learn anything about the creatures or time periods. Nothing at all. They're simply murderous monsters that wander through the Anomalies and outwit and evade the new team for 40 minutes until they're shot with the new high-tech unlimited ammo electric guns and captured.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:53 am

rdks wrote:
LtViperPilot wrote:
Are any of these creatures prehistoric?
So far, we've had a Spinosaurus, a Kaprosuchus, a bunch of Therocephalian, and some new future creatures that were like gorillas with T-Rex heads. All of them complete with big, nasty, pointy teeth and an appetite for people.

There is no relevant information provided in the show to help the viewers learn anything about the creatures or time periods. Nothing at all. They're simply murderous monsters that wander through the Anomalies and outwit and evade the new team for 40 minutes until they're shot with the new high-tech unlimited ammo electric guns and captured.

Uhg, lame.

I liked the show better when it was about trying to find these anomalies and a whole lot of mystery to it.

The only reason I'd watch it again is for Connor/Abby.

All my favourite characters are long gone and I don't want to see Danny get eaten/killed.

~
Back to top Go down
Scary
RANK: Time Lord President


Number of posts : 7474
Age : 19
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:38 am

LtViperPilot wrote:
rdks wrote:
LtViperPilot wrote:
Are any of these creatures prehistoric?
So far, we've had a Spinosaurus, a Kaprosuchus, a bunch of Therocephalian, and some new future creatures that were like gorillas with T-Rex heads. All of them complete with big, nasty, pointy teeth and an appetite for people.

There is no relevant information provided in the show to help the viewers learn anything about the creatures or time periods. Nothing at all. They're simply murderous monsters that wander through the Anomalies and outwit and evade the new team for 40 minutes until they're shot with the new high-tech unlimited ammo electric guns and captured.

Uhg, lame.

I liked the show better when it was about trying to find these anomalies and a whole lot of mystery to it.

The only reason I'd watch it again is for Connor/Abby.

All my favourite characters are long gone and I don't want to see Danny get eaten/killed.

~

Exactly.

But simply for Connor and Abby I have been enjoying series 4 thus far. If they were to go then I don't think I'd continue watching at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3520
Age : 43
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Primeval Series 4   Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:40 pm

Oi! Don't forget Lester! His combined 6 1/2 minutes that he's been on screen so far this season has been invaluable to the enjoyment of the show.

I'd like to agree with about Connor & Abby being enjoyable this season, but while Connor is still fun, Abby is just... there. She does nothing, she adds nothing, and she doesn't even say much. It's like it's a cameo appearance every week. And what's up with her hair? I know she spent a year in the forest but she's been back for 4 weeks. You'd think she'd at least have washed it by now! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Primeval Series 4
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: