Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

S5ep11 The Lodger

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

rate S5ep11 The Lodger
Brilliant, fanTAStic
32%
 32% [ 13 ]
good episonde
46%
 46% [ 19 ]
mm...Ok
15%
 15% [ 6 ]
Disappointing
5%
 5% [ 2 ]
Huh? That was rubbish
2%
 2% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 41

AuthorMessage
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:25 am

Couple of my favorite moments from this episode (quite a lot of fun ones this week)

Craig - If you ever need me out of your hair, just give me a shout

The Doctor - Why would i want that?

Craig - In case you want to bring someone round, like a girlfriend...boyfriend.

The Doctor - Oh I will, I'll shout, something like....I WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS!

(Then the bit where Craig finds The Doctor's device in his room..)

The Doctor - It's art, a statement on modern society, oooohhhhh ain't modern society awful?

I did find all of the "fish out of water" and "trying to fit in" bits kind of "off" given all of the years The Doctor has spent on Earth, he should be pretty well acclimated by now. I suppose he's never really had to "blend in" with average folks the way he had to here. But I thought all those moments were fun nonetheless.

Loved the Soccer....sorry....Football scene too. (He just had to be #11 didn't he? lol)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:41 am

Clavius wrote:
I did find all of the "fish out of water" and "trying to fit in" bits kind of "off" given all of the years The Doctor has spent on Earth, he should be pretty well acclimated by now. I suppose he's never really had to "blend in" with average folks the way he had to here. But I thought all those moments were fun nonetheless.

I chalk this up to the way certain aspects of the Doctor's personality and experience seem to be cut-off during certain regenerations. For example, all those martial arts moves Pertwee did? We saw Tom Baker do some similar stuff, but nothing much on this front since then. Colin Baker? Smarter than his predecessors (he was the only one who could even come close to fixing the TARDIS chameleon circuit). #s 8 and 10 (and, to a lesser extent, #9) were prone to moments of romance, while #11 is oblivious to many of the complexities of human romance. After the romance angles during the RTD era, I find this a refreshing return to form; though I enjoyed the romance angles in their time, I like that we're no longer dealing with them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Clavius

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:32 am

mysterylad wrote:
#s 8 and 10 (and, to a lesser extent, #9) were prone to moments of romance, while #11 is oblivious to many of the complexities of human romance. After the romance angles during the RTD era, I find this a refreshing return to form; though I enjoyed the romance angles in their time, I like that we're no longer dealing with them.

Amen to that. To be honest, I was never really on board with The Doctor having romantic entanglements with his companions. Just didn't feel right to me.

I particularly like the way #11 will sometimes refer to Amy as simply "Pond", to me that feels like a dash of Colin peeking through when he does that.

11 is incredibly intelligent, but also delightfully clueless at the same time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:10 pm

funny you mention the sixth doctor. people say smith reminds them of troughton, or mccoy, but i see baker a lot in his performance. too intelligent, but no people skills(although, to be fair, i like smiths' character, it doesn't come off as a "know-it-all child")
Back to top Go down
View user profile
denali76c

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:18 pm

ahh my computer died on me so i couldn't finish watching this episode and vote till today. it's tough watching the series as it airs if your not in the uk, but it's usually worth all the trouble that goes into it. alright episode, nice to see as much as a geek as the 11th doctor seems to be at least he's good at sports!! next week's show, or later this week actually, looks great!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
denali76c

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:25 pm

^o^CORVUS^o^ wrote:
Anyone see the spat between Corden and sir Patrick Stewart at the glamor awards?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIBUWqSTp90&feature=player_embedded

that was brutal!! that jonas bros joke was almost sad. who was the actress that claimed to like corden's belly?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1841
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:27 pm

denali76c wrote:
^o^CORVUS^o^ wrote:
Anyone see the spat between Corden and sir Patrick Stewart at the glamor awards?

that was brutal!! that jonas bros joke was almost sad. who was the actress that claimed to like corden's belly?

Zoe Saldana, the new Uhura from Star Trek 2009.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
denali76c

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:30 pm

jfh1970 wrote:
denali76c wrote:
^o^CORVUS^o^ wrote:

Zoe Saldana, the new Uhura from Star Trek 2009.
i thought that was hair but the make-up and my temporary mini-laptop threw me off. she looked great!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:39 am

Okay, so I had to re-watch this episode as it was rather boring to me and made me doze off at one point.

To me the story was okay, could have been better and it took forever to really tell us what the "problem" was. The story between Sophie and Craig was awesome, and seemed to be the focus of the episode.

I admit, I had pretty worked out the whole deal with the TARDIS and it's refusal to land, and while I wasn't entirely accurate, it was enough to not be a surprise when they revealed that it was another TARDIS. My only problem, why did it have to look like a bad copycat version of Eight's interior with a different console. Seriously?

So overall, for me this one really was a disappointing episode and really boring for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:32 pm

Just a flat out NICE ep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:36 pm

artanyus wrote:
My only problem, why did it have to look like a bad copycat version of Eight's interior with a different console.

If I recall correctly, that console room was the winner in a BBC "Design a Console Room" contest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clavius

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:30 am

Rust wrote:
artanyus wrote:
My only problem, why did it have to look like a bad copycat version of Eight's interior with a different console.

If I recall correctly, that console room was the winner in a BBC "Design a Console Room" contest.

Thought I'd quote myself from a few posts back. I posted these comparison shots of the two Tardises, I thought the similarities were pretty striking also...

Clavius wrote:
I'm sure there's absolutely nothing relevant to this but I did happen to be surfing YouTube for vid clips from The TV Movie for giggles today when this shot of McGann's Tardis caught my eye...

I thought it actually looks spookily like the Lodger Tardis...

Am I nuts or do you agree?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:14 pm

I agree. The way it was left off made me wonder when/what we'll see about this in the future. Who is that dead pilot laying there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:25 pm

Calixar wrote:
I agree. The way it was left off made me wonder when/what we'll see about this in the future. Who is that dead pilot laying there?

Maybe its "The Great Man" River Song kills.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:27 am

Rust wrote:
Calixar wrote:

Maybe its "The Great Man" River Song kills.

What if it's River Song who causes the 8th Doctor to regenerate? Sad

~
Back to top Go down
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:34 am

Why is everyone assuming it's the Doctor?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:35 am

Rust wrote:
Why is everyone assuming it's the Doctor?

I don't really believe it's the Doctor, it's just angst-provoking at the moment. Wink

~
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:15 pm

I finally got to watch this Ep last night. I thought the rapport between Smith and Corden was well done. However, I have to admit the last 15 minutes was both intriguing and confusing. There seemed to be so much noise with music, effects and general shouting that I found myself a bit unclear on what the heck happened. I would have imagined the sight of a faux Tardis to be alarming to Eleven and it seemed rather rushed. Why would one Tardis loop another- in the old days, I imagine several flew by each other all the time. I would imagine a new viewer might scratch their head at the end. I did and I am not new to Who!

Also, Eleven talking to his cat 'spy' was funny..Doolittle joke?
As others have said here, the creepy hobo/clown pic in the hall seemed like a clue. One of these days, would like to see our increasingly Earthbound Doctor to dig out Bessie or the Whomobile.

My only complaint is the past two Eps have been the cheapest looking ones in many years. Maybe our UK friends need to chip in more tax to the Beeb so Eleven can leave Earth more often again. Shades of Three being "exiled" on Earth come flying back to my mind, no head butting required.
Back to top Go down
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:57 am

Doctor WhoDat wrote:
Why would one Tardis loop another- in the old days, I imagine several flew by each other all the time.

Conceivably, because the catastrophic damage that TARDIS suffered that also killed its crew was bleeding into the Time Vortex.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:40 pm

Ok Rust, I can buy that explanation for the time loop. But the idea of searching for a pilot, the Doctor's resistance to being the pilot, Corden's character being able to diffuse it, the rot on the ceiling? I don't get a Tardis luring people upstairs I guess. It would seem logical the Doctor would know how to detect and switch off a Tardis.

Guessing there's more to this in the finale, but as a stand alone Ep, a confusing ending. Anyone?
Back to top Go down
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:57 pm

Doctor WhoDat wrote:
Ok Rust, I can buy that explanation for the time loop. But the idea of searching for a pilot, the Doctor's resistance to being the pilot, Corden's character being able to diffuse it, the rot on the ceiling? I don't get a Tardis luring people upstairs I guess.

That TARDIS' crew were killed in whatever catastrophe befell it. It was looking for a Pilot in order to activate its return subroutines and get home. It was looking for someone with a desire to leave, as appearently it operated on some sort of mental connection. It selected the Doctor as being an ideal candidate, but given he's a Time Lord he'd "overcharge" the TARDIS (Presumably it has something to do with the damage the TARDIS had suffered already) and detonate the solar system.

Corden basically reprogrammed it (Because he had a strong desire to stay, as opposed to the people the TARDIS was luring up - who all had an air of wanting to leave), which caused an error in its computer's logic circuits - causing it to implode.

As for the rot on the ceiling - I suspect that was the "leftovers" of all the potential candidates, since it expanded after every "trial run".

Quote :

It would seem logical the Doctor would know how to detect and switch off a Tardis.

He has a known knack for overshooting his target coordinates. Indeed, a good chunk of the time he doesn't seem to even know how to fly it.

Also, this TARDIS seemed to operate on a mental state, given its controls were all simple physical interfaces with the majority of the work being handled by a autonomous A.I. unit.

It's about as "alien" as a TARDIS gets, really.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jcstuntboy

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-07-26

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:46 pm

Right...here we go..The Clown in the picture in the Hallway is called Don Saunders..He was a clown from Scotland in the 50s and 60s and appeared at the Hippodrome in the UK and in an American show hosted by Groucho Marx....here's the Youtube link...this is very much thank you to my good friend I went to school with called Tweedy the Clown(also from Scotland)(like myself), who now tours with Barnum Baileys Circus in the USA .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYcj9EnfIug&feature=PlayList&p=4B49C2F9D32FFE78&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:25 pm

jcstuntboy wrote:
Right...here we go..The Clown in the picture in the Hallway is called Don Saunders..He was a clown from Scotland in the 50s and 60s and appeared at the Hippodrome in the UK and in an American show hosted by Groucho Marx....here's the Youtube link...this is very much thank you to my good friend I went to school with called Tweedy the Clown(also from Scotland)(like myself), who now tours with Barnum Baileys Circus in the USA .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYcj9EnfIug&feature=PlayList&p=4B49C2F9D32FFE78&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1

Very interesting, thanks for looking into it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:18 am

Ok, with the finale over, I come back to the rogue Tardis in this episode as the other unfinished business from Season Five carrying over to Six, Silence Will Fall baddie being the other loose end.

Is the general consensus that someone was trying to replicate Gallifreyan technology or that it was indeed a later model Tardis left abandoned? It seemed pretty functional, was just missing a pilot. Any theories on who might have been the pilot? Is The Silence tied to this Tardis somehow? Also wondering where the ship would have returned to had it found the proper pilot. We have seen so few other Tardises in the series overall and certainly none since the show's revivial that it is a curious item.
Back to top Go down
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:29 am

Go back and rewatch The Pandorica Opens... what happens at the very end of the episode? The stars explode and everything goes quiet. Silence falls as the universe ceases to be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com

S5ep11 The Lodger
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: