Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

S5ep11 The Lodger

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

rate S5ep11 The Lodger
Brilliant, fanTAStic
32%
 32% [ 13 ]
good episonde
46%
 46% [ 19 ]
mm...Ok
15%
 15% [ 6 ]
Disappointing
5%
 5% [ 2 ]
Huh? That was rubbish
2%
 2% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 41

AuthorMessage
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:23 pm

I'm sure there's absolutely nothing relevant to this but I did happen to be surfing YouTube for vid clips from The TV Movie for giggles today when this shot of McGann's Tardis caught my eye...

I thought it actually looks spookily like the Lodger Tardis...

Am I nuts or do you agree?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1841
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:44 pm

OMG.

I thought there was something familiar about the whole thing but I couldn't put my finger on it. I doubt this has anything to do with the 8th Doctor (although I would love to be proven otherwise) but I do think this is Time Lord technology that we're looking at. That's why I couldn't understand why this was never explained at all in the story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:51 pm

jfh1970 wrote:
OMG.

I thought there was something familiar about the whole thing but I couldn't put my finger on it. I doubt this has anything to do with the 8th Doctor (although I would love to be proven otherwise) but I do think this is Time Lord technology that we're looking at. That's why I couldn't understand why this was never explained at all in the story.

I knew I couldn't be the only one who thought of that!

I literally died when i saw that! I had such a huge hope that Paul McGann would suddenly be there... and he wasn't... Crying or Very sad

~
Back to top Go down
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:54 pm

I for one think that not only is it criminal that McGann never got a full outing in the role of the Doctor, but he has yet to be included in the new series. The fact that we never saw the 8th regenerate into the 9th means that McGann could come back looking any way he wants. I am hoping that they'll have him come back way before he reaches retirement age though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:57 pm

jfh1970 wrote:
I for one think that not only is it criminal that McGann never got a full outing in the role of the Doctor, but he has yet to be included in the new series. The fact that we never saw the 8th regenerate into the 9th means that McGann could come back looking any way he wants. I am hoping that they'll have him come back way before he reaches retirement age though.

He needs a proper regeneration, although I'm afraid I'd probably cry more over that than I have been over Tennant, which I still haven't even seen yet. I dislike the reference to his TARDIS and Not having him there.

The Doctor images went by so fast, you couldn't even see his face. I'm tired of that. He needs more recognition! Sad
~
Back to top Go down
^o^CORVUS^o^

Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:12 pm

Count me among those who thought of the TVM TARDIS when I saw that ship on "The Lodger". You folks aren't alone.

========================================
...^o^CORVUS^o^
Doctor Who: The Winds of Time
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corvusonline.net/timewinds/
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:20 pm

Yep, thought the same when I saw it. I liked this episode for its simple tale of the Doctor in a simple apartment solving a small crisis, not trying to save the universe! (That comes next week!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:05 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
He needs a proper regeneration, although I'm afraid I'd probably cry more over that than I have been over Tennant, which I still haven't even seen yet. I dislike the reference to his TARDIS and Not having him there.

I don't know if I want a proper regeneration or not since I always thought it might have something to do with the Time War. I don't want to see anything else about the Time War since I just keep feeling that I'll be let down just like I was with the clone wars of SW. I also like the element of mystery as far as the 8th Doctor's regeneration is concerned. As a result of there not being one he can appear as many times as possible too without giving us whiplash like River Song does.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:26 am

jfh1970 wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:

I don't know if I want a proper regeneration or not since I always thought it might have something to do with the Time War. I don't want to see anything else about the Time War since I just keep feeling that I'll be let down just like I was with the clone wars of SW. I also like the element of mystery as far as the 8th Doctor's regeneration is concerned. As a result of there not being one he can appear as many times as possible too without giving us whiplash like River Song does.

Ohhh true! Okay, regeneration scene is definitely a DO NOT WANT!

Not like I wanted one in the first place because I'd be mighty afraid of the way that he'd die and seeing him in "Horatio Hornblower" was enough! Ahhhh!!!

~
Back to top Go down
amagon

Number of posts : 2730
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:50 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10312426.stm
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:01 am

amagon wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10312426.stm

Read that not too long ago. Still don't know what to make of it or him.

I just couldn't get into him as the Doctor nor will he ever be "my Doctor" as a result from seeing him in something else and finding it an absolute riot that he should play something so opposite.

~
Back to top Go down
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:31 am

I found his portrayal too ordinary for my tastes and wasn't heartbroken when he left. Tennant was the complete opposite for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

Number of posts : 2730
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:45 am

A friend posted it on Facebook, and with talk here about a regeneration scene....

He's not into the genre, yet, he played Destro, appeared on Heroes.

*Sigh*
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:48 am

amagon wrote:
A friend posted it on Facebook, and with talk here about a regeneration scene....

*Sigh*

The fact that he was in GI Joe made me want to see it and the first time I saw him I yelled, "It's the Doc-tor!"

Then I just giggled through the rest of the movie.

~
Back to top Go down
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:10 am

Although I've always found Eccleston's unease with the show disappointing, I can at least respect him for leaving while his performance was still fresh and vital.

Of course, the fact that he'll never come back means we'll never get to see the 8-into-9 regeneration. This makes it all the more disappointing that the creators of the comic strip blew their opportunity to show the regeneration (a vital part of Who history) just because they had plans for the Doctor's in-comic companion at the time (a footnote in Who non-canonical history). What a waste.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:57 pm

amagon wrote:

*Sigh*

Which makes me think more about how Eccleston mentioned he had problems with the environment when doing DW. It sounds like there might've been a personality issue to me. If there was, then he was smart to leave when he did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:18 pm

Basically a fluff episode (at least no Doctor-lite eppie this year but next year probably). Not much really went on. Didn't get why the Doctor needed pointers on how to act normal / human. Positive was less airtime for Amy. Deja vu with the building (wasn't that the same front shot as from episode 12 from series 3 and it blew up).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:20 pm

Well the show did have some cutbacks after all. Have you already forgotten the invisible monster?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:58 pm

I definitely thought of the TVM lighting when I saw that TARDIS console room! I got so fed up not seeing the 8 to 9 regen I just made a comic myself. LOL. I do with McGann would appear some day, even if it was just a one-off team-up with the current Doctor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DacaZ

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:25 pm

I still think Tennant's 2009 hiatus would have been better spent as a Paul McGann "flashback" with a full 13 episodes instead of the five Tennant specials.

But then, that would have been so brilliant my mind would have exploded and I'd be dead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.figurefanzero.com
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:40 pm

DacaZ wrote:
I still think Tennant's 2009 hiatus would have been better spent as a Paul McGann "flashback" with a full 13 episodes instead of the five Tennant specials.

But then, that would have been so brilliant my mind would have exploded and I'd be dead.

But what a way to go!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
^o^CORVUS^o^

Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:45 pm

I didn't find Eccleston's performance ordinary at all. I thought he was fantastic. Without the strength of his performance (among other factors), we wouldn't be where we are today as fans.

...^o^CORVUS^o^
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corvusonline.net/timewinds/
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:30 pm

^o^CORVUS^o^ wrote:
I didn't find Eccleston's performance ordinary at all. I thought he was fantastic. Without the strength of his performance (among other factors), we wouldn't be where we are today as fans.

...^o^CORVUS^o^

I agree. Loved his performance. The article talking about how he didn't like the environment was interesting... I wonder what he was talking about? There's tons of ways to interpret that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:49 pm

jonwes wrote:
^o^CORVUS^o^ wrote:

...^o^CORVUS^o^

I agree. Loved his performance. The article talking about how he didn't like the environment was interesting... I wonder what he was talking about? There's tons of ways to interpret that.

Maybe Capt Jack's farting contests?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DacaZ

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:54 pm

LOL

Excuse me, do you mind not farting while I'm saving the world?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.figurefanzero.com

S5ep11 The Lodger
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: