Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

S5ep11 The Lodger

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

rate S5ep11 The Lodger
Brilliant, fanTAStic
32%
 32% [ 13 ]
good episonde
46%
 46% [ 19 ]
mm...Ok
15%
 15% [ 6 ]
Disappointing
5%
 5% [ 2 ]
Huh? That was rubbish
2%
 2% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 41

AuthorMessage
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:38 am

He didn't in the strip, either. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:39 am

mysterylad wrote:
He didn't in the strip, either. LOL

I didn't figure that the Doctor would know how to be a team player on a sport he didn't quite know a lot about. He seemed much like a little terrier, chasing the ball with all the determination and giddiness he had! lol
~
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:03 am

If only we had the Doctor on the England team, we would have won last night... Ah well lol.
Back to top Go down
DacaZ

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:46 am

Did anyone else notice that picture in the circular frame in the hallway? It was right between The Doctor and Corden when they were arguing. It looked like some kind of bizarre freak. My friend and I busted a gut at it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.figurefanzero.com
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:30 am

Eh, I thought this episode was decent, but I find it hard to muster any strong sentiment for it one way or the other. The most notable things about it for me didn't really have much to do with the episode at all! Things like the woman calling the Doctor gorgeous. Do folks in the UK think he's gorgeous? I'm starting to get used to looking at Matt Smith (being familiar with Tom Baker's appearance has helped), but I still find him spectacularly ugly. Laughing

Anyway, what I found most disappointing about the episode also didn't have much to do with it -- between these last few episodes, I'm feeling like Doctor Who is becoming a show I just plain don't enjoy. I hated most of the RTD episodes and several of the earlier ones this season, but I can deal with that. If I truly despise an episode, it's usually because I think it's bad, and in those cases I can generally think of something I might have done that would have made the episode better and more acceptable to me. Bad writing, silly stories, and uninspired adversaries don't necessarily diminish my desire to continue to follow the show (cf. Heroes, Seasons 2-4). But episodes I don't like but don't find particularly appalling... those leave me feeling uninterested and disappointed in a way that makes me not want to keep watching. It's rather upsetting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
^o^CORVUS^o^

Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:19 pm

DacaZ wrote:
Did anyone else notice that picture in the circular frame in the hallway? It was right between The Doctor and Corden when they were arguing. It looked like some kind of bizarre freak. My friend and I busted a gut at it.

I did, I pointed it out to my daughter *lol*

========================================
...^o^CORVUS^o^
Doctor Who: The Winds of Time
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corvusonline.net/timewinds/
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1841
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:04 pm

DacaZ wrote:

That picture took my attention from the scene. I found myself trying to figure out what it was and for a moment I was thinking that it might have something to do with the story.

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
I didn't figure that the Doctor would know how to be a team player on a sport he didn't quite know a lot about. He seemed much like a little terrier, chasing the ball with all the determination and giddiness he had! lol~

I have to admit this was a great scene that shows a little bit of the Doctor's personality. Despite the fact that he's hundreds of years old and has gone through much pain as well as loss, he still has the hearts of a child. He can appreciate life and enjoy the moment. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think whether it was meant to be or not that's a valuable lesson. Especially for someone like me these days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:10 pm

This episode had the best way ever of avoiding lengthy exposition! I'm talking about the head-butting!

Going frame-by-frame through that bit, though, they showed the past Doctors in this order: 9, 10, 8, 4, 3, 2, 1. No 5, 6, or 7.

Wes Crayon wrote:
I'm starting to get used to looking at Matt Smith (being familiar with Tom Baker's appearance has helped), but I still find him spectacularly ugly.

I've always thought he has a weird, gaunt, angular face. Maybe girls like it, as a guy, I don't see it. One fangirl said on Twitter she had a dream where Matt Smith asked her to hold his sonic screwdriver. Anyways, I quite adjusted to seeing him onscreen just after 10 regenerated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:22 pm

i liked this episode. then again, i also liked love and monsters and fear her(take that as you will). i'm really hoping the 2 part season finale will live up to the hype. i was enjoying everything in this episode untill the crack showed up again, and the engagement ring(just my opinion). matt smith is brilliant, and in some episodes, the writer's just get his take on the doctor. having him play soccer(that's right, scarywood, football american), taking over a man's job, and building a wierd contraption that really didn't seem to do much(except spin around), that's the doctor.

does anyone else notice that in the non-moffatt episodes the doctor actually gets to have fun? it just seems to me, that in the ones steven writes, he's always brooding, and have long drawn out speeches, instead of goofing around, and having fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thete

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:09 pm

Anyone else notice the picture of Vincent van Gogh on Craig's fridge when The Doc and Craig are arguing at 30:15 (sorry I cant post pics cos im inept). I thought that was pretty cool sneaked in there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DacaZ

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Thete wrote:
Anyone else notice the picture of Vincent van Gogh on Craig's fridge when The Doc and Craig are arguing at 30:15 (sorry I cant post pics cos im inept). I thought that was pretty cool sneaked in there

I caught that. It was a postcard for an exhibition. Cool way to keep that alive since apparently one of his paintings plays a significant part in the final episodes.
Back to top Go down
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:58 pm

The picture in the hall was weirdly distracting. If it wasn't meant to have some significance it was an odd choice and got a big spotlight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:07 pm

jonwes wrote:
The picture in the hall was weirdly distracting. If it wasn't meant to have some significance it was an odd choice and got a big spotlight.

I kept staring at it, expecting it to move.

It was so weird.

And Craig thought the Doctor was weird.

~
Back to top Go down
Jvos

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:14 pm

Without doubt, one of THE most disturbing things ever seen on Dr Who!

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1841
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:41 pm

The nose at one point made me think this was supposed to be a clown of some sort. It's definitely the type of picture that makes you stop and stare that's for sure.

Wouldn't it be funny if this turned out to be an older Rory?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:08 pm

now you all know why i am afraid of clowns!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DacaZ

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:22 pm

At first I thought it was Ray Bolger from The Wizard of Oz.

Either way it was creepy enough in the background on my TV screen. Now that you've enlarged it and its looking right at me, I'm actually kinda scared.
Back to top Go down
Jvos

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:17 pm

DacaZ wrote:
At first I thought it was Ray Bolger from The Wizard of Oz.

Either way it was creepy enough in the background on my TV screen. Now that you've enlarged it and its looking right at me, I'm actually kinda scared.

affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid
Glad to be of help!

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:50 pm

just rewatched vincent and the doctor, and the posters over the town walls, and the tardis have clowns in them. this episode has a small magnet on the fridge for the van gogh exhibit. it's almost like there are small references to the other episodes if you pay attention(that's if we are considering this picture a clown).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:00 am

bret_owen99 wrote:
just rewatched vincent and the doctor, and the posters over the town walls, and the tardis have clowns in them. this episode has a small magnet on the fridge for the van gogh exhibit. it's almost like there are small references to the other episodes if you pay attention(that's if we are considering this picture a clown).

The whole cross referencing to future/previous episodes is something that RTD did as well through out all 4 series, such as when the Doctor would list off famous people to meet and eventually meeting one of those people he listed, and then there were the "Vote Saxon" posters throughout series 3, just to list a couple.

I like how they do this though as it helps connect everything together and can provide clues for what is to come, or remind us of a past episode that was pivotal in the story or just a memorable moment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2155
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:18 pm

Jvos wrote:
Without doubt, one of THE most disturbing things ever seen on Dr Who!

Terrifying Image

John

Could we get that in a spoiler tag so I'm not afraid to open this thread again? Shocked Dang, that thing gives me nightmares!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DacaZ

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:23 pm

He skipped the chin line and got on the forehead line twice!
Back to top Go down
Rogue

Number of posts : 898
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:02 pm

Liked the episode... hate that ugly painting! I thought its eyes were moving at one point, like it was something to do with the aliens upstairs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:13 pm

That painting looks like one those murderers in your dreams, or is that just me? I swear I have had nightmares when I was younger of people like that guy. :/
Back to top Go down
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:14 pm

I really enjoyed this episode a lot. Had the funniest moments (like Craig hearing gibberish in the next room), etc.

I thought the alien vehicle was a TARDIS when they went in, and that maybe the Rani or somebody was going to show up.

I've only liked three episodes this season so far, and I'd put this one at the top, with the Van Gogh one second and Vampire of Venice third.

As to the painting, in the scene its in, didn't Craig do a brief double take at the sight of it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://emerdelac.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S5ep11 The Lodger   Today at 5:19 pm

Back to top Go down

S5ep11 The Lodger
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: