Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

S5E7: Amy's Choice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rate S5E7: Amy's Choice
Fantastic! Brilliant! Molto benne!
37%
 37% [ 13 ]
Great episode!
26%
 26% [ 9 ]
Okay/Average episode.
23%
 23% [ 8 ]
Disappointing
14%
 14% [ 5 ]
Rubbish! What was you thinking, Moffat?!
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 35

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sat May 08, 2010 1:51 pm

Looking good, huh? The so called 'Dream Lord' looks like he's gonna be an iconic character!

Forgot to put in the topic name: SPOILERS WITHIN

Last edited by scarywood on Sun May 09, 2010 6:52 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Vicki

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sat May 08, 2010 7:24 pm

I am so excited about this one!!! The trailer makes me want to see it NOW!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sat May 08, 2010 7:31 pm

This one does look wild. For some reason, I am reminded of the Celestial Toymaker. Not sure why?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sun May 09, 2010 5:28 am

I'm reminded of the Master with this character. I think Moffat is gonna try his hardest to go that way, with this character. So I wouldn't be surprised if we saw him next series or something.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sun May 09, 2010 12:43 pm

This one looks trippy! I can't wait to see more of this villain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
denali76c

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sun May 09, 2010 5:12 pm

can't wait!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sun May 09, 2010 5:23 pm

The Doctor may very well be facing his greatest enemy yet in this episode...KARL ROVE! (shudder).

Toby Jones (The Dream Lord) Played Karl Rove in Oliver Stone's "W".

Been looking forward to this episode largely due to him, great in "W" and also in "Stephen King's The Mist".

Also hugely looking forward to the episode with Bill Nighy in it. Some real high-profile talent in this season let me tell ya.

Didn't Patrick Stewart express an interest in appearing at one point? Whatever happened with that? I'd LOVE to see him in an episode.

BTW (little off-topic, sorry), Do yourselves a favor and pick up or rent Hamlet with Tennant and Stewart. Great production and fantastic performances!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
denali76c

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sat May 15, 2010 8:48 am

Clavius wrote:
The Doctor may very well be facing his greatest enemy yet in this episode...KARL ROVE! (shudder).

Been looking forward to this episode largely due to him, great in "W" and also in "Stephen King's The Mist".

Also hugely looking forward to the episode with Bill Nighy in it. Some real high-profile talent in this season let me tell ya.

Didn't Patrick Stewart express an interest in appearing at one point? Whatever happened with that? I'd LOVE to see him in an episode.

BTW (little off-topic, sorry), Do yourselves a favor and pick up or rent Hamlet with Tennant and Stewart. Great production and fantastic performances!

that's out on dvd? i'd be interested, anymore info? btw if stewart was willing to do a guest spot on "Extras" they really should get him on who.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FUNCHOMCLALA

Number of posts : 1351
Registration date : 2007-02-06

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sat May 15, 2010 9:58 am

Did you notice he's wearing 11's clothes in the TARDIS scene in the Next Week trailer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sat May 15, 2010 10:08 am

denali76c wrote:
Clavius wrote:

that's out on dvd? i'd be interested, anymore info? btw if stewart was willing to do a guest spot on "Extras" they really should get him on who.

Yeah, the DVD for Hamlet came out in the US about 2 weeks ago. I didn't know it was out until I happened to spot it at Target.

If I remember correctly, Stewart had expressed an interest in appearing on WHO, they simply have yet to find a story he would be a good fit in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sat May 15, 2010 2:10 pm

ONE OF THE BEST EPISODES SO FAR!! Wonderful idea!

But what was with the Dreamlord's reflection at the end? Granted, the Doctor said he was him....but....ah, whatever!

Awesomeness!

Last edited by scarywood on Sun May 16, 2010 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
beep

Number of posts : 807
Registration date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sat May 15, 2010 2:25 pm

OMG!The dream lord was the...can I say it here?Ah what the heck,HE WAS THE FLIPPIN VALEYARD!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sat May 15, 2010 7:33 pm

I found the episode disappointing. While I didn't think the episode was especially bad, I didn't like it at all! I can see something like this being cool in a novel or something, but on screen it just struck me as gimmicky and kinda annoying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
denali76c

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sat May 15, 2010 11:00 pm

scarywood wrote:
BEST EPISODE SO FAR!! Wonderful idea!

But what was with the Dreamlord's reflection at the end? Granted, the Doctor said he was him....but....ah, whatever!

Awesomeness!

with that refelection at the end i'm thinking he's a future incarnation of the doctor or the master.
there was also something i think amy said about the dream lord being someone who must really hate the doctor that got me thinking that it might be the master.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

Number of posts : 2730
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sat May 15, 2010 11:16 pm

beep wrote:
OMG!The dream lord was the...can I say it here?Ah what the heck,HE WAS THE FLIPPIN VALEYARD!!!

That's what I heard, as spoilers don't bother me. tongue

As for Stewart, why not The White Guardian, or Omega even! What would be interesting, is if he was... THE OTHER!!!

Back to this story.

study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1841
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sun May 16, 2010 12:37 am

Clavius wrote:

Thank you for pointing that out. I was going crazy because I knew I had seen him somewhere else before.

As far as the Valeyard is concerned, I have to totally agree on this. The Doctor did mention that the parasites were feeding off the dark side of his nature. What if the parasites were there to throw the Doctor off? It would be a great way to explain the Valeyard's existence since it was never detailed fully in TOATL. Perhaps the Dream Lord poses as the Doctor and winds up marrying River Song?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sun May 16, 2010 3:13 am

Wes Crayon wrote:
I found the episode disappointing. While I didn't think the episode was especially bad, I didn't like it at all! I can see something like this being cool in a novel or something, but on screen it just struck me as gimmicky and kinda annoying.

I agree with this. It would have made a great audio. It actually kind of reminded me of a few of Eight's audios, in a way. It was creepy, but would have been even creepier as an audio.
~
Back to top Go down
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sun May 16, 2010 3:22 am

Wes Crayon wrote:

I am in agreement here. This episode, while it was okay, just didn't really leave me with much of an impression. As an audio, it would definitely have been a bit more interesting. Aside from the Dreamlord, which I can see as being either the Master or someone else who hates the Doctor rather than a future incarnation of the Doctor, the "alien" people were kind of on the gimmicky side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sun May 16, 2010 5:46 am

This one has to be one of my favorites in the series. I especially loved the whole storyline going on between Amy and Rory. Mind you I absolutely adore Rory so was quite pleased when Amy chose him over the Doctor. Plus I was able to relate to the way she was behaving about Rory especially after his "death". I'm paraphrasing but the whole bit that she says to the Doctor about how the village had to be the dream because Rory wasn't there really pulled the heartstrings for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sun May 16, 2010 5:56 am

Looking at the poll, it looks like we have some mixed opinions!
Back to top Go down
Jammaza

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sun May 16, 2010 6:39 am

A nice twist good overall story
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sun May 16, 2010 7:29 am

A little off topic, but do we know what the next episode is called?
Back to top Go down
Jammaza

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-03-30

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sun May 16, 2010 7:30 am

The hungry earth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sun May 16, 2010 10:26 am

I thought it was a wonderful episode.

The villain was excellent; the whole Valeyard thing always kind of annoyed me, but for some reason, this incarnation of the Doctor's inner darkness just "worked." And as someone else already said, it even makes the Valeyard a slightly less befuddling character.

This was a fun, trippy episode that blended elements similar to those from stories like The Mind Robber and The Edge of Destruction and filtered them through the wonderful metatextual lens the modern show has developed.

There were a number of dialogue triumphs here, but I think my favorite was, “If we’re gonna die, let’s die looking like a Peruvian folk band.” Great stuff!

Matt Smith's Doctor just keeps getting better. He competes with Rory without competing with Rory on the romantic level: the Doctor is Pooh to Amy's Christopher Robin, keeping her from realizing her full adulthood, but at the same time, he wants the best for her and doesn't want to compete with Rory, who he clearly likes (he refers to Amy and Rory as his friends...plural). It's a complex triangular relationship that Smith manages to nail every time, no matter which aspect of it is being focused on at any given moment. And the Doctor's little smile after he says, "This is going to be a tricky one," encapsulates everything great about this incarnation of the character. Doctor #11 is as deep as my favorite incarnations of the character, #s 4 and 7; he has quickly worked his way into my top 3.

I really like how Amy was handled in this episode, too. Sure, there's a part of her that craves the adventure and excitement the Doctor represents, but she chooses Rory. Episodes like this further distinguish this period from the one aspect of the RTD era I truly hated: the way the writers (and thus Rose and the Doctor) treated Mickey.

The eye-in-mouth FX weren't the best, but there is clearly a deliberate eye "theme" threading throught the series: the eye seen through the initial crack, the eye in each Atraxi vessel, the eye that seemed to be watching River Song in the snowy monitor, the Weeping Angel entering Amy's mind through her eye, the aliens in this episode...this is not an accident. This is by design, and I'm guessing it has something to do with the cracks.

This series isn't perfect; no series of Doctor Who is. But I have to say that after seven episodes, I just don't understand the people who don't like the current series. The overall good seems to outweigh the occasional bit of bad, and I can't shake the opinion that anyone who isn't having a good time is failing to do so not because of what's happening on-screen, but because of whatever preconceptions they're bringing to the table before they ever tune in...a hypothesis that seems supported by even a cursory review of the criticisms levied against the new series thus far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Sun May 16, 2010 2:24 pm

Speaking of cracks I didn't see any in this recent episode. BTW good catch on the eye theme. I was only able to think about the Atraxi when I saw the eye in the mouth element.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S5E7: Amy's Choice   Today at 4:05 am

Back to top Go down

S5E7: Amy's Choice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: