Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Rate S5E5: Flesh and Stone
Fantastic! Brilliant! Molto benne!
28%
 28% [ 9 ]
Great episode!
38%
 38% [ 12 ]
Average/Okay episode
25%
 25% [ 8 ]
Could have been better.
3%
 3% [ 1 ]
Terrible episode! MOFFAT, YOU FOOL!!
6%
 6% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 32

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:44 am

Okay then, this is the official thread for Flesh and Stone, Part 2 of Time of Angels.

Who reckons that these 2 episodes are going to be that of a classic story, remembered for a long time along side some Cybermen and Dalek stories?
Back to top Go down
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:00 pm

scarywood wrote:
Okay then, this is the official thread for Flesh and Stone, Part 2 of Time of Angels.

Who reckons that these 2 episodes are going to be that of a classic story, remembered for a long time along side some Cybermen and Dalek stories?

I hope so, but I fear the Part 2 curse that seams to follow most shows. Find out next week!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:12 pm

scarywood wrote:

We can only hope that it will be remember for a long time. However, I think Blink will be more of a classic in regards to the Weeping Angels. The episodes certainly does shed some light on River Song and her knowledge of the Doctor which is nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:55 pm

I just hope to see more of River bossing the Doctor around and him sulking. It's about time someone put 11 in his place. I think I can start to like him now. My dad and sibling will recieve the same warning they did last week prior to watching this episode:

Do not scare me for the penalty shall be VERY severe!
~
Back to top Go down
beep

Number of posts : 807
Registration date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:45 pm

It seems from a hint on digital spy that the crack arc is figured out in this episode,oh moff you sly dog,leading us on to beeive this is a huge part of the finale,I bet we've all been missing huge stuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:24 pm

beep wrote:
It seems from a hint on digital spy that the crack arc is figured out in this episode,oh moff you sly dog,leading us on to beeive this is a huge part of the finale,I bet we've all been missing huge stuff!

Sea Devils! Silurians! That's what I say!
Back to top Go down
Krynoid

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:04 pm

Funny, but I found this to be comparible to the movies Alien & Aliens.

The first movie has the one baddie in the dark; lots of suspense and scares...

...and then the second movie has many baddies and soldiers fighting them. All the suspense and spookiness is replaced with body counts and bullets. Great action, but substantially less atmosphere.

And then there was Paul McGann in Alien 3...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sat May 01, 2010 9:12 am

4 hours and 13 minutes!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sat May 01, 2010 2:40 pm

I voted 'Great Episode'. It was fantastic but not as good as the first part, but indeed it was a very close shave!

I couldn't help but be confused with the last scene with Amy's urge for... well, the Doctor.. I may have to watch it again!

Anywayz, do we know what the next episode is called so I can put up the next thread? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sat May 01, 2010 5:04 pm

I thought it was kind of a letdown after the brilliant first half, though I don't think I can articulate why at length. At the end of the day it was just "the Doctor and friends run from angels until time crack swallows them all up"... and that didn't really seem all that exciting to me. I'm disappointed that we didn't get a satisfactory explanation for the Angels' new neck-snapping modus operandi as well, especially since I thought the time displacement stuff made them among the more interesting new series foes that the Doctor has faced. I did like the Doctor's final conversation with the bishop, though.

And yeah, wtf to that last scene with Amy and the Doctor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
beep

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sat May 01, 2010 5:17 pm

Wes Crayon wrote:
I thought it was kind of a letdown after the brilliant first half, though I don't think I can articulate why at length. At the end of the day it was just "the Doctor and friends run from angels until time crack swallows them all up"... and that didn't really seem all that exciting to me. I'm disappointed that we didn't get a satisfactory explanation for the Angels' new neck-snapping modus operandi as well, especially since I thought the time displacement stuff made them among the more interesting new series foes that the Doctor has faced. I did like the Doctor's final conversation with the bishop, though.

I think they where snapping the necks because they had no need for the time energy they would get,considering all the radiation they where feeding on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sat May 01, 2010 7:03 pm

Wes Crayon wrote:

Agreed there. It was rather confusing. Not to mention inappropriate for the audience its now aimed at. I always knew Amy would be a filthy...person. I do like her. Its just the characters Karen has played before have been a little...errmm...well...you get the gist..
Back to top Go down
beep

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sat May 01, 2010 7:12 pm

God,when amy lay on the bed in that..suggestive way...
I loved the scene but its not really that good for the kid,although the innuendo with the "get you sorted out" probably went right over there heads
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sat May 01, 2010 11:24 pm

I too thought the episode was excellent, but not quite up to the standard of the last one. There are a number of elements we've yet to have full closure on, and I suspect that's by design: the Doctor has an idea what he's dealing with, but he's not sharing it with us (meaning, of course, Amy) just yet. Amy's lascivious behavior at the end struck me as a little out of character, but it means something...I just don't know what yet. I am loving the many little mysteries we're getting this season!

I did love how completely oblivious the Doctor was to her desires. Everyone who was annoyed at the romantic aspects of 8 and 10 should be happy...the Doctor has shaken his "human fever" at last. He's a proper Doctor again. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sat May 01, 2010 11:51 pm

Time is being re-written, hum, a very interesting concept. I love this episode. Very creepy, especially Amy walking with her eyes closed thru the angels! I find it so weird that this, to me, is so far, Matt's best performance, and it was his first! 5 episodes in, and I feel confident in saying he is my favorite Doctor! (Sorry Jon, Tom, Sylvester.) More mystery with River is great, and I have to wonder, the great man she kills.....could it be The Doctor/
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sun May 02, 2010 12:27 am

Agree, Maybe the doctor...although come to think of it why would the Bishop keep asking if she trusts the Doctor if he was the "good man, a hero to many" that she killed...

Anyway, a bit mediocre. Not as good as the last one.

Last edited by YetAnotherNorthAmerican on Sun May 02, 2010 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mysterylad

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sun May 02, 2010 12:29 am

Matt's take on the character really is turning out to be a revelation. I can see why Moffat and company abandoned their original conception of the new Doctor when Matt came along. Now, for some other things I really dug about this episode:

Amy's countdown.

Instead of ruining the mystery that was River Song (which is what I was afraid they were going to do), the mystery got deeper. For a character whose death we've already seen, that such a thing is possible is pretty amazing.

River: "How impossible?"
Doctor: "Two minutes."

Lots of use of the sonic screwdriver as a tool, not a cheap plot device.

Bishop: "Dr. Song, I've lost good clerics today. You trust this man?"
River: "I absolutely trust him."
Bishop: "He's not some kind of madman, then?"
River: "I absolutely trust him."
Back to top Go down
denali76c

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sun May 02, 2010 4:59 am

i saw the whole amy wanting the doctor thing way back in the first episode. from the way she insisted on seeing the doctor undress and redress after her bf urged her not to look, and the look she had on her face while watching him.
she's been obessed with him for more than decade and she left with him on the night before her wedding. so i knew at some point she would make her move. but the time crack may have something to do with her behavior. like enhancing her need to be with him to the point where she was more bold and made a move she normally wouldn't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sun May 02, 2010 5:59 am

Watch Confidential. Mof makes a statement about the fact that he finds it hard to believe that companions in the past were never attracted to the Doctor. He is too fascinating of a being, etc. I wonder, though, if this story line would have been used if they went with an older Doctor. Of course, then they could have just gotten an older companion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
denali76c

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sun May 02, 2010 7:50 am

i noticed there was a lot of the 10th doctor in matt smith's performance in this episode, and more so than any other episode thus far. which i guess makes sense since this was the first episode they shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sun May 02, 2010 8:14 am

Did anyone notice that when The Doctor and River were in the control room alone, and the Doctor was guiding Amy on the com-link thing, River was stood next to a flickering screen. Was it just me or could I see the 'Eye' that we saw in Eleventh Hour? I really hope that the Attraxi isn't the monster in the finale. It was bad enough in the first episode...
Back to top Go down
mysterylad

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sun May 02, 2010 8:57 am

I kind of thought I saw that, too.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sun May 02, 2010 9:46 am

the return of the giant eyeball. somebody call ben stein immediately!(got red eye, use clear eye)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sun May 02, 2010 9:51 am

btw, i think i'm going to post my own review. hate me if you will, but i'm going to rant and rave, so i don't want to take up all this nice space here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Sun May 02, 2010 10:38 am

The wrap up of the angels segment of this story just seemed wrong. I hate when things get erased like that, it usually does not work out that well. And this is one of those times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)   Today at 10:12 pm

Back to top Go down

S5E5: Flesh and Stone (Spoilers)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: