Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24
AuthorMessage
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:33 am

The Ares fired it's main engines to leave orbit.

The empty fuel tanks would be discarded.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:40 am

This is the flight version of the Ares that it used during most of the flight:

A flyby of Venus gave the Ares the speed needed to reach Mars:

At Mars, the vehicle rearranges so the MEM can take the crew to the surface.

Here is a view out the window of the MEM:

The crew gave names to the vehicles of the mission, the Apollo was called Discovery, the Habitat Module was named Endeavour and the MEM, Challenger.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:44 am

And the crew patch:

The crew was Phil Stone, Ralph Gershon and Natalie York.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:00 am

I would definitely recommend the book to anyone who like alternate history or space travel. There is a lot of politics in it, but NASA's missions never go anywhere without politics.

Baxter also wrote a 2nd Doctor novel called "Wheel of Ice" and it was great too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rogue

Number of posts : 898
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:54 pm

Very interesting... what could have been! The beginning of your summary reminded me of the "Lee Harvey Oswald" episode of Quantum Leap, which speculated that Jackie originally died instead of President Kennedy.

Great model work! I used to have a lunar lander module kit back in the 90s, but never put it together. I remember that it included gold foil to use for finishing the kit. I thought that was so wild.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TOMFAN

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2014-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:56 am

Terrific work Ron, and the pictures are great!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:46 am

Rogue wrote:
Very interesting... what could have been!  The beginning of your summary reminded me of the "Lee Harvey Oswald" episode of Quantum Leap, which speculated that Jackie originally died instead of President Kennedy.

Great model work!  I used to have a lunar lander module kit back in the 90s, but never put it together.  I remember that it included gold foil to use for finishing the kit.  I thought that was so wild.

I thought of that same episode as well when I re-read it recently. And most LEM kits come with gold foil, but, it usually isn't the correct shade of gold. But, there was a candy bar, (that I can't remember the name of) that came wrapped in gold foil the correct shade. It made building the model more fun!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:47 am

TOMFAN wrote:
Terrific work Ron, and the pictures are great!

Thanks! Doing the pictures is something new for me, but it is fun finding the background, and trying to take a photo to match it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:32 pm

Here are a few more photos I have done of the Ares getting ready for launch.  In this history, it all happened 30 years ago this month, with the launch on March 21, 1985.

During roll out on March 8, the Ares passes a Saturn VB fuel tanker on Pad B:

Ares hard down on pad 39A:

The launch of the Ares Saturn VB from the Jacqueline B. Kennedy Space Center, March 21, 1985.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ice Worrier II

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2014-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:45 pm

Absolutely brilliant Ronpur.

A true masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:13 am

This guy did a video based on my models, that are in the thread on NASASpaceflight.com.  It is pretty amazing!

Here is my complete thread on NASASpaceflight.com.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=35720.0

This project has occupied a lot of my hobby time recently. That is the main reason I haven't been doing many figures! LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:18 pm

Very nice indeed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:10 am

We had more discussion about the models and the way things should appear, so some were changed a bit, and I got a little better at taking the pictures. The launch towers had a lightning rod added, which in our timeline, were added for the Apollo/Soyuz launch. Here are a few upgraded pictures.

Saturn VB on pad with service structure. You can see the lightning rod on top of the tower.

Saturn VB under the spotlights the night before the launch, March 21, 1985.

Launch

The Ares crew segments in orbit under going a maneuvering burn.

Trans Mars Injection burn.

Ares leaves the influence of Earth behind.

Flying by Venus to pick up speed to get to Mars. September 8, 1985.

Approaching Mars. March 25, 1986.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:16 am

Terrific photos!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:38 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:41 pm

Well, I have been building a few models lately, and thought I would catch up. This year is the 50th Anniversary of NASA's Gemini Program. I have been building a few models to celebrate. The first is from Gemini 9 that rendezvoused with an Agena Target Vehicle, that had a failure of the fairing to fully open. The Gemini is an old Revell model that has been corrected. The target vehicle is a resin kit from Realspace Models.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:45 pm

The second model is a really old Gemini spacewalker from Revell. It took a bit of work to correct. I had to figure out a way to get the spacesuit the correct color. I painted it light ivory first the oversprayed it with pearlized white. The umbilical that came with the kit was replaced with a brass tube that was wrapped in gold foil.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:15 am

Another Gemini I have built is from a new book called "Blue Gemini" by Mike Jenne. It concerns a secret USAF program that had a modified Gemini fly to orbit from a base on a island near Hawaii. The crews would meet up with Soviet satellites and attached a metal ring with a package that could disrupt the function of the satellite. Here are two views of the spacecraft in orbit.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:18 am

Another USAF program is this space shuttle that launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base.  The shuttle was named Eagle. This is a modified Revell model that I digitally added to photos of the Enterprise at VAFB.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:23 am

And from the 1969 movie, Marooned, I built a model of the X-RV re-entry vehicle. If you have seen the movie, you will remember that the rescue vehicle was launched through the eye of a hurricane.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:26 am

The rescue vehicle was launched on a Titan IIIC. This is a model that I modified to hold a tiny version of the X-RV.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:52 pm

The Timelords have finally forgiven me and given me a De-materialization Circuit!! The first prop for my future #3 cosplay, I hope!

This is a kit from Mooncrest Models kit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whoozier

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2013-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:21 pm

KEWL!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TOMFAN

PostSubject: Re: Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!   Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:43 am

Fantastic work Ron, it looks terrific!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Ronpur's Custom Figure and Model thread!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 24 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Projects, Modifications, and Fan Creations :: Models and Modifications-
Jump to: