Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

S5E4: The Time of Angels
Fantastic episode! Brilliant! Molto benne!
52%
 52% [ 17 ]
Great episode
33%
 33% [ 11 ]
Average/Okay episode
9%
 9% [ 3 ]
Could do with some work
3%
 3% [ 1 ]
Terrible, I spit on it! *SPIT SPIT*
3%
 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 33

AuthorMessage
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:56 am

I hope the killing will be addressed in pt 2. The Doctor did mention that they don't kill people like that.

I am also fascinated by the fact that Matt's performance is amazing in this episode. And it was the first to be filmed! I guess he hit the groun the ground running so to speak!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:28 pm

Great episode. Very intense and scary. Smith is proving to be simply incredible in the role.

I'm also happy because now the infamous "gun" scene from the trailer has finally been shown in context.

So hopefully all the people whinging on about "NOOOO The Doctor doesn't use a gun! this season is going to suck! My mama never loved me! blah, blah, blah...!" can finally shut the heck up now, he was just shooting out a light. So there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:37 pm

Clavius wrote:
Great episode. Very intense and scary. Smith is proving to be simply incredible in the role.

I'm also happy because now the infamous "gun" scene from the trailer has finally been shown in context.

So hopefully all the people whinging on about "NOOOO The Doctor doesn't use a gun! this season is going to suck! My mama never loved me! blah, blah, blah...!" can finally shut the heck up now, he was just shooting out a light. So there.

Haha! Yes, I feel the same way about the gun scene, too! I was one of the people who was worried that the Doctor would turn into a murderer but I'm glad I've been proven wrong! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:42 pm

rdks wrote:
Yes, the dialogue in the episodes stated the creatures did those things. But we never SAW it. Even the Vashta Nerada, what it's marketed and recognized as is a skeleton in a spacesuit. And all it did was very slowly lumber towards you.
I think it's marketed as a skeleton in a spacesuit because you can't make a toy of a shadow! Razz (Well, actually, I do have one shadow action figure -- kinda; it has no articulation and is flat -- but that shadow was Stan and he had a face.)

rdks wrote:
It's the same with all of them. Your told they do bad things, but they never showed it for any of them. I never saw Clockworks chop people up, or Zombies transform people, or Patient Zero do anything to anybody.
We did see Dr. Constantine turn into a gasmask zombie... but as for that other stuff, did you actually want to see the Clockwork Men dismembering people and hooking them up to the ship? That would have been pretty gross at first... and then really boring. Did you want to see the Vashta Nerada strip away flesh until nothing but bone was left? Methinks you should be watching horror movies, or perhaps animals eating each other on National Geographic. Laughing

And technically, we didn't get to SEE the Angels snapping necks either. The screen just went black and we heard a snapping sound and a fall. Could've been anything, really... until we were TOLD that they were snapping necks. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:50 pm

scarywood wrote:
Clavius wrote:

Haha! Yes, I feel the same way about the gun scene, too! I was one of the people who was worried that the Doctor would turn into a murderer but I'm glad I've been proven wrong! Very Happy

Yeah, my main problem was with those who saw him firing a gun and automatically jumped to the conclusion that he was shooting a life form of some kind and didn't consider that he simply might be shooting an object, which of course he was. And even the image of The Doctor holding a gun was somehow shocking to them. Even though Ten used Wilf's gun in "The End of Time". Or they seemed to forget his great "I Never Would" speech in "The Doctor's Daughter" (loved that whole scene by the way) Seeing Ten actually point a gun at General Cobb's head actually DID shock me a bit, even though I knew he wasn't going to kill him.

Heck, there has even been a precedent for The classic Doctor using a gun and actually shooting and killing a life form. Five shot an unarmored Dalek with a 9mm in Resurrection of the Daleks. So it's definitely not a new thing.

I just didn't get the uproar about that scene.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:18 pm

Clavius wrote:
I just didn't get the uproar about that scene.

It was a classic case of fans complaining just to complain, agitated on the eve of change and ready to jump on anything without the benefit of context. The lighting in that scene even suggested he was shooting at some kind of spotlight--people even made that very suggestion on at least two boards I know of--but fandom is what it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:31 pm

Clavius wrote:
Even though Ten used Wilf's gun in "The End of Time". Or they seemed to forget his great "I Never Would" speech in "The Doctor's Daughter"
Because of course a new Doctor would never do something that his predecessors wouldn't do! Even though Ten was pretty much the anti-genocide Doctor and even tried to save Davros, whereas this new one would have been all too happy to wipe out the Daleks even when he thought they were defenseless and just wanted to run away. Ten would have banished him to a parallel dimension for that kind of behavior. Razz

And let's not get started on the violence of the 6th Doctor...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
Rogue

Number of posts : 898
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:29 pm

As for the monsters like the Vashta Nerada, where they kill but it's not really shown (other than a piece of chicken being eaten after it's been tossed through a shadow)... sometimes, the best kind of horror / suspense is what is unseen. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:44 pm

Rogue wrote:
As for the monsters like the Vashta Nerada, where they kill but it's not really shown (other than a piece of chicken being eaten after it's been tossed through a shadow)... sometimes, the best kind of horror / suspense is what is unseen. Smile

The power of IMAGINATION!! Something that has been ding slowly in children these days. When I had Legos, there were no instructions, you built what you wanted, not a model kit!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:16 pm

you know, it's not the gun in doc 11th's hand that bothers me. it's all the grandiose speeches that moffat can't seem to get enough of. i like my doctor to be humble. maybe that's why i never cared much for the 6th.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:20 am

Ronpur wrote:
Rogue wrote:

The power of IMAGINATION!! Something that has been ding slowly in children these days. When I had Legos, there were no instructions, you built what you wanted, not a model kit!!

Totally! What happened to the big buckets of legos where you just built things from your own imagination? I'm tired of these costly kits that barely give you any extra legos to work with. My dad and I wanted to get legos for my brother for Christmas but there were only the kits.

Adults... quit robbing children of their imagination. Sad
~
Back to top Go down
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:27 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
Rogue wrote:

Totally! What happened to the big buckets of legos where you just built things from your own imagination? I'm tired of these costly kits that barely give you any extra legos to work with. My dad and I wanted to get legos for my brother for Christmas but there were only the kits.

Adults... quit robbing children of their imagination. Sad
~

Sadly, it appears the trend is to rob kids of being imaginative by pushing them into sports as soon as possible. That and the fact that they must win all the time. They don't get the chance to have fun and be imaginative like we used to be.

Aside from that, look at Hollywood. most of what they are producing are re-makes and they tend to be worse than the original most of the time. We need our imagination, and Doctor Who proves that there is still one show that has an imaginative crew working on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:37 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
you know, it's not the gun in doc 11th's hand that bothers me. it's all the grandiose speeches that moffat can't seem to get enough of. i like my doctor to be humble. maybe that's why i never cared much for the 6th.

Exactly which Doctors were humble, again?

Certainly not 1, and 2's humility went right right out the window when he was frustrated with his intellectual inferiors (which was at least once per serial). Come to think of it, 3 had the same problem as 2, plus he constantly name-dropped famous people in order to remind everyone how much more authoritative he was in every subject. 4 was only humble long enough to lull people into a false sense of security, but then had no qualms about reminding everyone of his genius when his plans came together. 6 was, well, 6 ('nuff said). 7 didn't often extol the virtues of his own genius, but he could pontificate on moral issues like no other Doctor before or since. 9, 10, and 11 are all modern Doctors, and prone to a bit of vanity.

That leaves 5 and 8. There you go: the humble Doctors. Smile

(You know I just pick on you because I like you, right Bret?)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:48 pm

As part of the worst generation ever, I agree that we are robbed of our imaginations which in all fairness is our childhoods. I love Lego, even at my age. I've recently been trying to make a D-Day diorama with Lego, and as there are no kits for WWII, I have been 'imagining' how I can make bunkers and tanks. Something, at least with Lego, I have never done.

By the way, why do you fellows over the pond call them Legos and not Lego? I was trying to figure it out. Is it because there's more than just one brick, so its plural? Its a little confusing lol.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:55 pm

scarywood wrote:
By the way, why do you fellows over the pond call them Legos and not Lego? I was trying to figure it out. Is it because there's more than just one brick, so its plural? Its a little confusing lol.

Some folks call them Lego, which is technically correct, but not many. What happened is that the brand name became synonymous with the product. You'll hear someone say, "I stepped on a Lego," rather than "I stepped on a piece of Lego." It's a subtle distinction, but it's what led to easy pluralization: "a Lego" becomes "Legos" when there are a bunch of them.
Back to top Go down
retrodude

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:56 pm

scarywood wrote:
I love Lego, even at my age. .

Im sorry but who doesn't love lego its awesome Very Happy Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://you tube - http://www.youtube.com/user/retrodude333

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:00 pm

retrodude wrote:
scarywood wrote:

Haha! Well said! And thanks, mysterylad, for explaining Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:12 pm

scarywood wrote:
retrodude wrote:
scarywood wrote:

Haha! Well said! And thanks, mysterylad, for explaining Smile

It's also like Kleenex here, at least, in our area. Kleenex is a brandname for tissue yet a lot of times, people will just say, "I need kleenex."

Our country is weird when it comes to terms. For instance, one side of the US will say "soda" while another part will say "pop". Just like one part of the US will say "sack" and another part will say "bag". I'm from the west coast, and apparently a lot of what I say is from the East Coast, though I've never been there... well, Cleveland is as far east as I've gone... so at work they find it a bit amusing. When I was down in Mississippi for the Air Force, it was only my accent that distinguished me as a west coaster.

But now that I've heard so many British terms for things, I'll say something like, "I'm going to pick up the rubbish then.," and I get strange looks. I don't mean to do it, I just pick things up very quickly and adopt it into my own vocabulary without even realising it. It's only by the looks of others that I realise that I'm doing it in the first place.
~
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:02 pm

lol@mysterylad. and now you know two of my favorite doctors! but then there would be 7, who didn't have to say how superior he was, he proved it. i think 4 was funny enough to get away with his remarks. 3, pertwee was like an action hero, so he could say he was great. 2, always seemed more of a self depricating clown to me, hiding his superiority. 1, was more of a grandfather figure, so he got to say how much he knows, he was older and wiser. then there was 9, he was rude all the time, but that was because of his pain of the time-war. 10 was too busy crying to be vain(except in the waters of mars). then there's 6 and 11. i'm not saying that 11 is as bad as 6 yet....yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2155
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:22 pm

Thats alot of angles!!! (Sorry Krynoid Twisted Evil )
But otherwise a much better episode than last week. I dreaded the return of the Angels thinking Blink was pretty good and had expectations of this one being a stinker. Now if only Doctor 11 can avoid the RTD curse of having great part 1 episodes and exciting cliffhangers only to have part 2 all go down the tubes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rogue

Number of posts : 898
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Two things I wanted to bring up that I noticed upon repeated viewing of the scene in which River helps steer & land the TARDIS...

1, the Doctor has a pinball machine inside the console! lol! You can even catch a glimpse of the ball bouncing around after the Doctor pulls on the ball release lever.

2, when River lands the TARDIS, it makes the "bell" tone that was heard in the console room in the 80s serials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:14 am

hey rogue, i noticed the pinball thing too. i am a child of the 80's, so of course i love pinball. i'm just not a big fan of the sanford & son tardis console that doc 11 has.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
denali76c

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:32 am

"By the way, why do you fellows over the pond call them Legos and not Lego? I was trying to figure it out. Is it because there's more than just one brick, so its plural? Its a little confusing lol."
growing up in nyc i used to play with lego at daycare all the time, and i always called them lego and not legos, but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:37 pm

scarywood wrote:

I think it was just a plural thing. When I need one brick, I need a Lego. When I need several, I need Legos, or should it be Legoes? LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)   Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:07 am

Yeah, I used to always say I was playing with Legos. I loved Legos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

S5E4: The Time of Angels (Spoilers)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: