Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Rate S5E2: The beast below
Brilliant! Fantastic! Molto benne!
21%
 21% [ 7 ]
Very Good
48%
 48% [ 16 ]
Average, Okay
24%
 24% [ 8 ]
Not good
3%
 3% [ 1 ]
Great balls of fire, what was that?! (Rubbish)
3%
 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 33

AuthorMessage
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:43 pm

Wes Crayon wrote:

Also, the crack! The crack was moving with the ship! Aren't the cracks supposed to be at fixed points, such that the crack in Amy's wall would have remained even if the wall were knocked down? Though I guess it should also have moved along the wall and eventually "vanished" given the rotation of the planet or something, but yeah.

Where is Christopher Bidmead and his science when we need him!
The show is treated like fantasy or, as Moffat says, a fairy tail these days. Plot holes big enough to fly Gallifrey thru.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Wes Crayon wrote:
Also, the crack! The crack was moving with the ship! Aren't the cracks supposed to be at fixed points, such that the crack in Amy's wall would have remained even if the wall were knocked down? Though I guess it should also have moved along the wall and eventually "vanished" given the rotation of the planet or something, but yeah.

I wonder if things like this get brought up in production meetings or something. Then again, with episodes like this, that meeting would go for hours! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

Number of posts : 2730
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:59 pm

So honestly, does this makes mostly everyone feel then, that this would be part of ANOTHER universe in a bottle situation then, or something like... Godzilla, when they changed it for all 3 series!

If this season fails (with these fairy tales), will the next season be a re-start (to this "false" start)?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:10 pm

I think it is too early to give up. Let us see what The Victory of the Daleks has in store for the first non-Moffat episode.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:56 pm

If the new tone doesn't work (I don't agree that it isn't) they'd probably just get another show runner and keep going. I think DW is big enough to overcome a hiccup should it happen right now. Personally though, I think it's just jitters and resistance to change.

I just think back to Rose and what a departure it was from what I was expecting. I actually wasn't sure how much I liked it, even though I found it interesting. Remember the Slitheen two-parter? It was actually kind of rough that first season. Even though this is Series 5 it is like starting over in a lot of ways. I think we'll see the show progress and get on surer footing tone-wise at it goes along. I actually like the whimsical take... but I have to say I don't know if I want the WHOLE series to be that way. It'll be interesting to see what shades and nuances it takes on as we go along. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:37 am

I was really nervous about this episode considering my feelings from last week and then just about every review had, "love 11 but hated the episode" somewhere before the spoilers. I did not read any of them, as I wanted to form my own opinion.

I will say this... I can now start rooting for Amy now that she's been:
1) landed in slime
2) vomitted
3) got yelled at by the Doctor

My vote is still out on whether or not I like 11. I seriously fear that this next episode will make me either love 11 or hate him entirely. Thank goodness for characters like the Queen!

Please please PLEASE CO make a toy of her as well as the star whale!

Oh, little Dalek Gemini had only one word to say about those smilies:

"EXTERMINATE!"
~
Back to top Go down
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:51 am

I ignored all reviews and spoilers on this episode so as to be able to formulate my own unbiased opinions. And you know what, I loved it. Amy has proven herself to me, the Doctor.....still iffy, but getting there on my scale. As for this episode, it was really good. I loved the Queen, we so need a toy of her and the Star Whale/ship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:54 am

artanyus wrote:
I ignored all reviews and spoilers on this episode so as to be able to formulate my own unbiased opinions. And you know what, I loved it. Amy has proven herself to me, the Doctor.....still iffy, but getting there on my scale. As for this episode, it was really good. I loved the Queen, we so need a toy of her and the Star Whale/ship.

If they ever made that ship a toy, I would be buying a small Spitfire and having "Sky Captain" officially crossover into "Doctor Who".

I am STILL GEEKING OUT!!
~
Back to top Go down
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:07 am

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
artanyus wrote:

If they ever made that ship a toy, I would be buying a small Spitfire and having "Sky Captain" officially crossover into "Doctor Who".

I am STILL GEEKING OUT!!
~

LOL that would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vicki

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:46 am

I loved this episode! Amy is definitely in the running for awesomest companion ever! It's great to see the Doctor finding his way in this new regeneration...and Amy's just the one to pull him through! Next ep should be amazing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
denali76c

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:24 pm

amy's the link to the cracks. it's because of the crack in time she was able to send the message to herself that she didn't remember sending. also she never made that message in the 1st place, and it had nothing to do with the forget button. she sat through that test once not twice. this thread is very much like the doctor donna and bad wolf threads.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:38 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
I was really nervous about this episode considering my feelings from last week and then just about every review had, "love 11 but hated the episode" somewhere before the spoilers. I did not read any of them, as I wanted to form my own opinion.

That's why I never look at reviews before episodes! It is nice to go in fresh. That and I am afraid of accidental spoilers.

Quote :

My vote is still out on whether or not I like 11. I seriously fear that this next episode will make me either love 11 or hate him entirely. Thank goodness for characters like the Queen!

I'd love a Liz Ten figure!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:14 pm

jonwes wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:

That's why I never look at reviews before episodes! It is nice to go in fresh. That and I am afraid of accidental spoilers.

Quote :

I'd love a Liz Ten figure!

Going in with no judgment cast is about the best way to handle anything new. I like not even being totally excited for an episode even if it looks good for fear of hyping it up way more than it should have been and getting completely crushed when it's not. I'm glad to have seen those RT "new" Daleks, because it really threw the excitement for the episode off and now I'm not squeeing and giggling like an insane Dalek Caan for this weekend.

CO... I hope ya'll are listening! Very Happy
~
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:36 pm

Not too impressed with this episode. Seems like one of those 'been there done that' deals. Not too original. Just felt off somehow. Once again a snaky creature and the SFX seem to be of a lower standard for the new series to date. The smileys were like the bug people from the Doctor's Daughter episode but really didn't have much of a real presence - they were just there. Plus, the Doctor is now on call - now that is something different.

Is it me or was was the episode one of the shortest timewise (under 42 minutes). I guess they made up from last weeks +1 hour timeframe.

I still have an open mind for the current series but so far I am not as hooked as I have been since its return.

One question for all. Are there online commentaries for the show this year (totally forgot about this until today). Don't see them up on BBC7 or the DW site.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:21 pm

I know Smith didn't have a tremendous depth of knowledge about classic Doctor Who when he got the role, having primarily referenced Tom and Patrick when he was preparing.

However, in this episode there were several occasions I got a serious Sylvester vibe from him. This is not a complaint, I dug it quite a lot.

Anyone feel the same or am I just nuts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Clavius wrote:

However, in this episode there were several occasions I got a serious Sylvester vibe from him. This is not a complaint, I dug it quite a lot.

Anyone feel the same or am I just nuts?

I think that was part of the problem for this eppie for me. It felt like early Sylvester which I was not a fan of. Even some online reviews have mentioned shades of Happiness Patrol/Sylvester so you ain't alone on that part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:53 pm

I really liked this episode- not a great one mind you but I liked the kidcentric feel of it. I really did not like the queen- sort of too ott for me- like the typical disney acting style...just me really.

As for 11 and Amy, I like the fire and ice take on their friendship. She is no bimbo and has a bit of street sense...a mixture of Ace and Rommana. As with all regenerations, I give that time to ease into a doctor. I remember hating Peter D. when he took over Tom...I loved Tom so much I hated to see him go. Time made me appreciate number 5, in fact, one of my favorite docs... I want to slap the ones that give up too early and not give the fella a chance. I really loved Tennant, but I am warming up to Smith.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
denali76c

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:08 am

i think the main point of the episode was to bring the doctor and amy closer together, and i think it did that beautifully. for me doctor who has always been about the characters first and the sci-fi elements second, and that's why i loved this episode.
there's one aspect where moffat is really succeeding in his writing and that he is really making me care about these characters. the episode really had a bunch of great little moments, like seeing the doctor talk about being the last time lord, and matt smith really nailed it there. then there was the hug the doctor and amy shared. now i bet it was sappy for some but i found it very touching and very "real" and that's saying something for a sci-fi show.
it's episodes like this that really make the grander more epic episodes worth it, cause this where you start to care about these characters and what happens to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:04 pm

it twas alright, most of my thoughts have already been echoed, looking forward to next week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:22 am

I just watched this episode for the second time, and found that I liked it better upon the repeat viewing. Weird, that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:46 pm

Plumber's code:crack kills!

Anyway, was wondering 2 eps in and we've seen the flashback/review /extra perception/psych/mentalist/csi blurb again this time for Amy previously for the doctor with the park people phone. Is this going to be a new feature every ep now i'm already tired of it if so. Overall okay. With the crack again and mysterious comments 1 and 2nd ep i really feel bated with the thread that seems to be building for this season. Previously they didn't seem so in your face or at least seemed more disguised. I'm not sure what to think or like yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:09 am

and what is up with the magpie electrics sign? Another clue...anyone else catch that...was in the scene with Amy and the little girl- exploring the forbidden area....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:04 am

I think it was just thrown in as a joke by the set designers. Not really a plot clue. Or so we are led to believe....

But I do want a label for my TV!! Anyone ever see the logo on line?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:13 pm

Well, it's the worst script Moffat's written for "Doctor Who"...I'm not saying it was bad, mind you...but one's got to come in last, and so far this is it. If this is as "bad" as he gets, we'll be doing all right.

Did it bother anyone that, while Amy was floating outside the TARDIS, the Doc was pretty much looking up her nightie?
I don't know whether to be disturbed or reassured!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Sun May 02, 2010 7:13 am

Overall vote for this episode: Very good episode.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)   Today at 4:05 am

Back to top Go down

S5E2: The beast below (SPOILERS!)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: