Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:53 pm

ok, someone at work filled me in on the sparkly vampires bit(i didn't know, all i've ever seen is heroid addicts with ridiculously long hair wearing black from head to toe, i didn't know they changed, seems even worse than buffy). i don't get how people don't make a connection with what the bbc was trying to do here. it's like someone coming out with a pirate movie after pirates of the carribean, with a captain with dreads and a goatee, and nobody comparing it to johnny depp??? like i said, though, after the first episode, i've shifted from twilight, more to harry potter. amy is almost like a hermione to me, and maybe her boyfriend is the blundering ron. i read an article not too long ago that said the bbc wanted matt smith to wear the all black outfit we saw in the first photo shoot. then they went to a long dark blue coat. finally smith and moffatt got together and got the bbc to agree to the 2nd doc look. i'm happy they did that, seeing as how i for one would have gagged on doctor twilight(btw, i dont' watch or read those books. imho, the literary equivelant to a britney spears album).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:59 pm

wow wow wow, leave buffy out of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:45 am

Yeah, Buffy and Twilight don't even occupy the same sphere. BTVS actually had complex characters, rich themes, and sharp dialogue. If you've only seen an episode or two, I can see how it can be dismissed as twaddle, but it wasn't meant to be watched that way! That show was far more than the sum of its parts.

And I still see ZERO comparison between new Who and Twilight. I suppose if you haven't actually read/seen any of the Twilight stuff you might ascribe a thematic similiarity, but no such assertion can conceivably survive actual side-by-side, point-by-point comparison. For one thing, the vampires in the upcoming Vampires of Venice are A. weird hive-mind creature, B. obviously alien in some way, C. not the first time DW has worked vampires into the narrative, and D. appearing in a period story (Twilight isn't period)...and those monumental differences are just what we can glean from a few seconds of clips!

You're a good egg, Bret, but this connection you keep making doesn't yet have a logical foundation. As far as switching the comparison to Harry Potter, that doesn't really work either, but that's another post. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Vicki

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:35 am

So far, I'm not seeing the Twilight comparison either...however, I'm really only vaguely familiar with that franchise -- I saw the first film and tried to read the book, but couldn't finish it [although I admit that was more due to personal reasons having nothing to do with the book's questionable quality, so I may try again at my own peril]...the first promo pix [Matt in black], did have a bit of the Twilight look, so I'm very glad they went with the bow tie [without sparkles]. I don't see too much Harry Potter either...maybe a touch of Rose and Mickey, but [so far] done much better and hopefully without the same quasi-romantic angst...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:55 pm

first off, i want to apologize to the buffy fans out there. i myself am a buffy fan, watched the entire series and angel(although i don't like firefly at all, or dollhouse.). my point was on the look of transforming vampires. imo, just mine, i don't think vampires transform into some menacing demon look. they just have teeth. that's all. no transformation. that's just my personal interpretation of vampires.

as far as reading into twilight, or harry potter. i'm mostly a visual person. i'm not talking about storylines, i'm not talking about character development, i'm not talking about stories. i'm purely talking about the overall visual look. darkness. storms. lightning. i see things, and i think other things. ever since the emo punk kids of twilight became popular, if i see a black trenchcoat, i think twilight. ever since harry potter, if i see lightning bolts, i think harry potter(i know that's a simplified explanation). i'm just very visual, and one thing leads to another thing, etc. etc.

mysterylad, i like you're rebuttal's, and can't wait for episode two this weekend. if i'm wrong, and things get better, i will be the first one to admit it. if not, i'll be the first one to say that too. the countdown is on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:52 am

After I re-watched 11 hour a few more times, I see the reference to the other shows you saw. But, now that I was more awake, I liked Matt's performance so much, I didn't mind. My main concern is the "youngness' of the cast and I hope this doesn't turn into 90120 in Space and Time, which is what I see Twilight as like. And sorry to my GF, but she will not drag me to the next twilight movie, no matter what she promises! I can't wait to see what the season has in store.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:09 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
...i'm mostly a visual person. i'm not talking about storylines, i'm not talking about character development, i'm not talking about stories. i'm purely talking about the overall visual look. darkness. storms. lightning. i see things, and i think other things...i'm just very visual, and one thing leads to another thing, etc. etc.

Thanks for clearing that up! That makes a lot more sense, and on that level, I can see where you're coming from...in design terms, there are certainly some similarities going on between the Potter stuff and current Who. Of course, you could make the same comparison with The Lord of the Rings and any other number of modern films and television, youth-oriented or not. I think that just might be the modern stylistic zeitgeist.

Quote :
mysterylad, i like you're rebuttal's, and can't wait for episode two this weekend. if i'm wrong, and things get better, i will be the first one to admit it. if not, i'll be the first one to say that too. the countdown is on.

I'm glad you enjoy the debate...I certainly do! One of the best things about this board is the fact that people can have a passionate, thoughtful disagreement and keep it civil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Today at 4:02 am

Back to top Go down

the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: