Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:30 am

feel free to comment, hate mail, etc. after watching this episode, i feel i have a few things i have to get off my chest, and this is a forum for all. first off, though, i have always been a doctor who fan. i started watching just when tom regenerated into peter. watched colin, sylvester, and paul. when the new series started, i loved it. i have videos(vhs for those of you too young to know what i'm talking about), and dvds of pat, pertwee, and william hartnell. i love all the doctor's, all the stories, and all the series, so anyone saying i'm biased doesn't know what they're talking about.

first off, the "new and improved" opening theme(music and video reviewed). wait, am i watching doctor who, or harry potter and the sorcerer's stone? wait, i am watching harry potter. the doo-doo-doo music, and the lightning, storms, it's harry! i should be seeing hermione any minute now(except now her name is amy pond). and for anyone wondering, i'm not a huge fan of the harry potter series. is it good for children, yes. is j.k. rowling grossly overrated as an author, absolutely. it will make me sad if in 100 years times, people will not look back on bleak house, but instead on the chamber of secrets. the new beginning is the worst i have ever seen. it's trying to capitalize on every child/tween fantasy story going on right now, be it harry potter, twilight, or whatever. it's not doctor who, i don't care what moffat calls it. he can take that logo and.....

next up, i'll be reviewing the writing. if you didn't like my review of the oppening, turn back now. this won't be pretty. this is something i feared, and unfortunately i'm right. steven moffat is not meant to write a whole series. there i said it. i'm sure that will get me the most hate mail right there. please let me explain, though. his episodes in all the past series have been one-offs. unique wonderfull episodes that stood out above the rest. this episode throws all of his good episodes down the drain.

let's start first with little amy pond(or amelia). she meets the doctor as a child, then he returns 12 years later. hmmmm. remind anyone of madame depompadour??? i loved the girl in the fireplace, it's one of my favorite episodes, and this episode tarnishes it's beauty. the doctor is having the same(sort of) relationship with amy that he had with rennette. this ruins the emotional impact that the girl in the fireplace had.

second, let's look at people in coma's talking, when they shouldn't be. hmmmmmm. the empty child perhaps(different, i know, but the scene in the hospital looks too similar to that episode). so far, that's two ideas regurgitated. let's see what else i can come up with.....

three. the corner of you're eye. a good concept, if blink was never around. too similar for my taste. wait until moffat introduces us to the monster who you have to see out of the corner of you're eye, and you can't blink, oooh, that will be scary.

ok, past ideas out, new ideas in. the shapeshifter wouldn't have been so bad, if it hadn't been flashing it's teeth every 5 seconds. but that about sums up this episode. all teeth, and no bite. i love how everyone complained about rtd making aliens known, here's moffat having a giant eyeball snowflake(wth???), come from sky, while repeating a death threat over every radio,tv, airwave. i never want to hear another complaint about rtd being over the top.

next. the end. spoilers here(like there haven't been already). the doctor tells the aliens the earth is protected(for the millionth time), and they run off. i wish, for once, an alien would stand up to him. i love the doctor, but sometimes he's just too darn cocky. the krillitanes stood up to him, and they aren't even a major race. then, we have the thread about the silence falling(didn't buffy do this episode with the gentlemen already, oh wait, moffats calling them the smilers). blah.

now we have a new tardis console made out of junk, however one piece is a lie detector. go back and watch when the doctor tells amy that the only reason he asked her to go with him. the line falls. he's lying. amy's important for some reason(like donna, or ace). so again, the doctor's using people.

the only good thing i can say about this episode(and i do hate to admit it), is that matt smith is a good actor. he reminds me a bit of tom baker, when he first started. wierd, off the wall. he has potential, i just hope he doesn't get cursed with this 3rd rate writing like colin baker was, and run out. matt smith has potential, but if moffat keeps making this series a cross between harry potter/twilight/buffy, the 11th's doctor's time is doomed. i never thought i'd say this, but after watching the first episode, i trust matt smith's acting more than i do steven moffat's writing. this isn't a nod to the old series. this isn't going back to basics. this is turning doctor who into some sort of fantasy show ala buffy/harry potter.

i know i'm being completely negative, but i've seen too many shows go down the toilet. heroes springs to mind. they forget what made them great in the first place. i love doctor who, always have, but so far, one night in, i'm no fan of the moffat era.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:06 am

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, Bret, but I have to know: where do you get this "Twilight" comparison you keep making? I have had the misfortune of trudging though some of the "Twilight" media, and I see no similarities whatsoever. I'm also a little confused: it isn't Doctor Who because it "isn't going back to basics," but if "again, the Doctor's using people," isn't that a direct continuation of the McCoy years, which makes it very much a return to classic who? And last (but certainly not least), you might be right that the show is "trying to capitalize on every child/tween fantasy story going on right now," but I remind you that the Beeb has always, and continues to promote Doctor Who as, first and foremost, a children's show. Food for thought, there. Smile

Give it a chance, my friend. While it appears that Moffat is recycling some ideas, I suspect that he is doing so very much by design. You noticed it because you were supposed to notice it, and the gambit will pay off later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:13 am

OMG, Bret, you hated that ep?!?!? You must not be a true fan of Doctor Who! Yarrr, evil, spamming your inbox with a billion hate mails now.

Point 1. Nobody (well, maybe somebody; certainly not I; and in any case nobody worth listening to) is going to send you hate mail for not liking an episode. Smile

Point 2. I don't see how anything in this episode would ruin anything about the previous episodes -- if anything, this episode would come off worse for ripping off the previous episodes, or failing to pull off the same tricks as well as they did.

That said, while I hardly found these moments as offensive as you did, I definitely thought the "corner of your eye" thing was kinda tired for Moffat, and the alien repetition thing got kinda old. It does seem like Moffat wants there to be some catchy, repeatable line or quirky method of spotting aliens in every episode, and I do think that could get annoying now that he's writing the bulk of them. I didn't find it terribly annoying here, but I take your point and we'll see how this plays out in future episodes.

I did think Prisoner Zero getting the voices wrong thing was wicked cool, though... even though you'd think he'd have gotten the hang of it after 12 years on Earth. Staying holed up in the same room all that time wasn't terribly smart, either!

Point 3. Eyeball snowflakes are awesome -- and certainly more visually interesting than the vast majority of aliens from the RTD era.

Point 4. Yeah, agreed that the aliens should stand up to the Doctor... but if they did that, they'd eat him alive, and then we wouldn't have a show anymore. The only reason the Doctor prevails against the vast majority of his enemies is that they delay squashing him like a moth until he's gone and eaten holes in their best Sunday hats and world domination suits.

Point 5. Agreed that Moffat seems more likely to take Doctor Who towards the fantasy realm -- but I'm not sure I think that's necessarily a bad thing (that Torchwood episode with fairies was kinda neat). Still, the episode itself wasn't all that fanciful, and the Doctor's gambit at the end was very sci-fi.

Yes, the new opening is horrible... but c'mon, it lasts all of a minute? Maybe two? And has no bearing on the content of the episodes whatsoever.

Point 6. I didn't see very much of Buffy in this episode, but that wouldn't necessarily bother me -- Buffy was bloody fantastic.

Point 7. I have no Point 7.

Really, Bret, you're quite entitled to your opinion -- and while we may disagree on some points, I don't think you should worry about anyone crucifying you or sending you hate mail. Heck, after the way I despised almost every episode in Series 3 and 4 (except the ones Moffat wrote, incidentally) and got little support or love for my thoughts on them, I think it's refreshing to read a review from someone else who didn't like an episode! If you'd ever like to write a guest review on Scary-Crayon, do let me know. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
mysterylad

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:23 am

If there's one board on the 'Net where it's safe to voice an opinion without fear of getting hated for it, it's this one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:44 am

I see where you're getting the Twilight feel. The teeth, the horrible gloomy titles. I hate this aswell. But please, give Moffat a chance. I'm almost certain the Dalek episode will change your mind....hopefully.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:02 am

Matt is brilliant as the Doctor. And I feel asleep the second time I tried to watch the episode. Think that sums up my feelings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mumbojumbo21

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:36 am

Bret, your piece could afford to be more concise and straight to the point. Your post as it is now makes you sound like you're foaming at the mouth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.libriumarcana.com/phpBB2/
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:41 am

mumbojumbo, i was foaming at the mouth, throughout the whole episode. this rant is meant to be from the heart, not a consice editorial. i know some people would prefer more jounalistic integrity, but i'm not a journalist. i'm more a blogger. and a blogger just well, foams at the mouth. i think that's why there are professionals, and well, people like me who just spout out what's in there' thought process.

wes crayon, i'm a big fan of you'rs, and i would be honored to ever do a review on scary crayon. mysterylad, you make several good points. maybe i'm just too protective of the doctor/ace relationship to have another one. it just seems too similar(i know the 11th doctor is using her for something, the lie detector said so, and maybe she has something to do with the cracks in time?). everyone complained about rose(who i love, maybe it's just because she's blonde), but amy pond looks like a real oedipus case. or if i go even more obscure: drop dead fred(points you get if you know that one).

i'm glad scarywood can see where i get all the twilight comparisons. everything's dark and gloomy. although, like i said, i almost make it more akin to harry potter. i was half expecting little amy pond to say "leviosa", and the tardis would get back to being vertical. you know, most people hated the food part in the beginning, and i personally felt that was the best written part of the show. here's a guy from the sky, and this little girl just gives him all the food in her house. why? because she would do anything to get rid of the scary crack in the wall.

as far as the giant eyeball. can anyone else see that that monster was a metaphor for the whole world watching moffat? i mean, really, a giant eyeball. because we are all watching and judging him? makes me wish for more werewolves.

ronpur, i'm very surprised by you're comment, but i like it. the only reason i would stay awake again, is to nitpick it(just like i nitpick j.k. rowling's writings. i mean, it's ok for kids to overlook her flaws as an author, but i just don't understand adults who overrate her).

i think it was just too much in the first episode. we had a new companion, who looks at the doctor as a father type figure(except for when he was undressing, and that was kind of oedipus). we had a new overlaying thread, "the silence will fall"(am i the only one tired of threads? i mean, i thought the show was going back to the old series, and yet, for the 5th series in a freakin row we have another overlaying storyline. can't we just have stories?).

what i'm trying to say, is that i think moffat was brilliant because each individual episode would stand out. this just looks like he's mashing all the episodes together like a bad mashed potatoes and corn mixture. i'll give it time, but be warned, i will write a review after every episode i watch. might have to do it on scary crayon Very Happy.

in closing(too late, i know), i hate to admit it, but matt smith is a good choice. from what i read(correct me where i'm wrong here), moffatt's only choices were a bunch of 20 year old actors(way to give him a choice beebs). he made the right choice. i even read that they originally intended his costume to be "darker"(that original press photo in the dark with long dark trenchcoat, anyone remember it?). smith was the one who insisted the doctor not dress like jack sparrow(let's see harrypotter/twilight/pirates, am i missing anything the beebs tried to cram in there, how about percy jackson?). smith has an opportunity, but so did colin baker, and look what they did to him?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:50 am

bret_owen99 wrote:

ronpur, i'm very surprised by you're comment, but i like it. the only reason i would stay awake again, is to nitpick it(just like i nitpick j.k. rowling's writings. i mean, it's ok for kids to overlook her flaws as an author, but i just don't understand adults who overrate her).

Well. to be fair, it was late and I had a very long, bad, and costly day dealing with car repairs.

But Confidential was a wonderful treat, especially the Tardis tour, which, except for the console, I love. And how awesome is it that they had Matt' parents and grandfather on, and his Grandfather is getting asked for autographs from kids, LOL

Couldn't agree more about JK. I read them all, and while I enjoyed them, the were no Lord of the Rings. Too long for the most part, and not much reason to re-read them.

I am pretty sure this will not be my favorite episode of the season.

Last edited by Ronpur on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mumbojumbo21

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:52 am

bret_owen99 wrote:
mumbojumbo, i was foaming at the mouth, throughout the whole episode. this rant is meant to be from the heart, not a consice editorial. i know some people would prefer more jounalistic integrity, but i'm not a journalist. i'm more a blogger. and a blogger just well, foams at the mouth. i think that's why there are professionals, and well, people like me who just spout out what's in there' thought process.
Bret, I'm sure your first post was to give your take, for others to read, and to respond in which it would be courteous of you to make it easier for the reader to read it and also for them not to form any judgment towards you rather than your opinion on the matter. Journalist or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.libriumarcana.com/phpBB2/
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1478
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:20 am

PS (in addition to my post on the other 11th hour thread, I did post your lie detector thoughts on my site. I thought that was a very good observation. Even if it is not a lie detector they showed it for a reason. Nice catch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kasterborous.com
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:11 pm

mumbojumbo, you're great. i like you're comments. i'm just very loud and opinionated(in real life too). anyone who has followed me on this site for awhile knows that at times i can be very reasonable, and at others, i'm like a dog barking at cars. it just depends on my mood. i am who i am, opinions and all. must be why i like timewarrior so much, luv me, hate me, but you'll never ever forget me. can't wait till next weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:53 pm

what i think the funniest thing is bret, is that for all the evidence you compiled and stacked up, with all your observations, you forgot to mention one of the most important coralations to girl in the fire place, where he tells young amy " you've had some cowboys in here".lol i thought it was great, i absolutely just do not see any comparison to buffy, twilight, or harry potter. if were being honest here i think everyones crazy on the intro, i dont see a signifigant difference visually on the vortex and think its just plain silly all the fuss thats being made about it.lol and the music, well, i think from my observations that the moffet is old school and hes just trying to take it back to when it was a little bit creepier and darker. i agree with mysterylad that we are probably noticing these similarities on purpose and it will lead to a payoff. i also think and this is just an opinion but perhaps moffet is keeping some off the feel from the rtd era in the begining to ease people into the new regime change. i do whole heartedly agree that i would love to see the season long story arc dropped for a coulple of seasons and just do some great stories, maybe three parters, but having said that to quote dlyan "the times they are a changing" and we have to go with it or get out of the way.lol you'll prob look back after seeing the whole series and laugh at this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:51 pm

hitman, you're an optimist. i hope you're right about the whole season thing. i hope this is just a small step, and the rest of the episodes get better. and yes, i did notice the cowboy's thing. very strange to tell a little girl(at least imo, it was more appropriate towards rennette). you're right maybe about keeping some of the rtd feel. i just don't think the two styles mesh. it's sort of like if the 10th doctor tried to act like the 9th doctor, so people could get used to him. doesn't work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:18 pm

I got the impression that all the knods to previous episodes were a half "hey look, it's still the same show" and half a wink to the Moffat fans. I hadn't thought about that flash being a lie detector - good thought! I actually liked Amy's similarity to Girl in the Fireplace, like he's being given a 2nd chance. Just remember, there's more than one writer for Who and it's a regeneration story. You might come around, otherwise... it's Doctor Who - just wait a few seasons and we'll get a new one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:37 am

lol@cjschmidt. i admit, i was in a bad mood when i wrote all this. i've mellowed a bit. it's funny that you say give it time. when i first started watching colin baker, i didn't like him (#5 was my favorite at that point). just when i started liking him, they got rid of him. i hope that's not the case here(the same with eccleston. why do all the good ones have to go so soon?)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1478
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:29 am

Just wanted to add something that came to my attention, that
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kasterborous.com
Vicki

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:24 am

*raises hand while jumping up and down*

DROP DEAD FRED!!!! That came immediately to mind when I watched this episode! Nice not to be the only one who saw that...

However, I rather liked it, as well as the nod to Reinette. I liked the episode overall, though I still prefer the Tenth Doctor, I think the Eleventh Doctor has potential. Haven't decided what I think about the new opening music, and am trying to ignore anything that may look like sparkly vampires...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:58 pm

lol@vicki. i don't know, sparkly vampires would be better than the emo punks in twilight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:47 pm

terrasolo wrote:
Just wanted to add something that came to my attention, that
Spoiler:

Oh, wow, I just noticed that this morning too! You may be on to something!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:40 pm

I thought that the first time I saw it but disregarded it. Upon further inspection,

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:43 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
lol@vicki. i don't know, sparkly vampires would be better than the emo punks in twilight.

The sparkly vampires referenced in that post are from Twilight, Bret (as I've said elsewhere, I've had the misfortune of slogging through some Twilight crap). Might you be thinking of something else when you make those Twilight comparisons?
Back to top Go down
gunzlingr

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2007-11-30

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:46 am

I didn't get a Harry Potter or Twilight vibe at all (and I have been known to hate them both with a passion).

I personally like story arcs and winks and nods so I am cool with that.

I don't think that screen looks like a lie detector at all. I have seen enough Jerry Springer and Maury Povich to know that that thing isn't even close. However, I do think it looks like the crack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:31 pm

crack kills!!! nuff said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ReverendKain

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2010-03-09

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:43 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
crack kills!!! nuff said.

Amy didn't seem to think so in the hospital... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)   Today at 3:51 pm

Back to top Go down

the most hate filled review of the eleventh hour(so far)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: