Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

!Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:13 pm

For those who did not heed the warning in the title, here there be spoilers, read at your own risk...

Have not seen a discussion going on the new trailer for series 5 or as it looked to me, the extended viewing of the new logo.

For those that have not seen it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnPUF8an-XE

WOW.

So there you have it. We can expect running, explosions, people falling, daleks dalekking(?) more kissing, louis gosset jr's kids, sword wielding vamps, catchphrases, more people falling, riversong(?), strange looks, and, and, and WHAT THE HECK?! WHAT WAS THE GUN ABOUT?!

Well, there it is. Looks exciting and can't wait to watch the first ep and see the Tardis interior revealed. Although I was a little creeped out with the talking to the tardis. Muttering to it is one thing, asking opened ended questions, creepy. Oh, and seriously, showcasing the logo for 16 plus seconds of a barely over 1 minute preview...overkill. We got it, there's a new logo. Move on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:42 pm

Ah, the gun. It doesn't bother me...we all know he isn't going to be carrying a gun. I'm sure he's shooting at some inanimate plot device or the other, and they stuck the bit in the trailer just to get fans riled up. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Osbourne

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:56 am

it looks like a flair gun to me- just my $0.02
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.impulsecreations.net
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1478
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:45 am

I don't see a flair gun myself, it look just like a modern hand gun, but my guess is he is shooting at some type of machinery or directly in the air to get people to stop what they are doing when they hear the bang.

Let's not forget that the Doctor has shot a gun before and even killed a creature while doing it. He shot an Ogron in Day of the Daleks with a laser gun and the Ogron was disintegrated. So while he may not like guns, sometimes when needs must, you have no other choice.

Not that I think he is using it to kill or harm, again I just think he is being clever with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kasterborous.com
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:22 am

That was not a flair gun... or even a flare gun. It was a regular bullet gun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:26 pm

It is a bit confusing. It's clearly a 9mm handgun. But when he fires it, sparks shoot out (probably just the live fx used). Then a second later the area lights up like a flare was shot, as you can see by the pic, taken after he fired. It was dark when he fired. I don't know what to make of it. I need to see more than 86 frames. Laughing

But he's definitely aiming it at something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:42 pm

at something. Something being the keyword, perhaps not a living being but an object.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:45 pm

upon second viewing I notice the sparkiness more.
a) bad sfx, which would seem bad
b) maybe a bit tinkering and it's a modified 9mm or modified bullet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

Number of posts : 2725
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:54 pm

Such an evil look.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:01 pm

amagon wrote:
Such an evil look.

It's the bow tie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

Number of posts : 2725
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:08 pm

Sha! I wore a bow tie, TWICE!!!

Glad I gained weight over the years, so my head is more proportionate. He reminds me of my high school years (though I never wore a bow tie; that was more recent)!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:50 am

Supposedly a new trailer will be shown this Saturday.

It could be that the gun was added because of the prominence of the gun in End Of Time part 2. Though every Doctor since Pertwee, with the sole exception of McCoy (with his searing screeds about the uselessness of weaponry in "Happiness Patrol" and several others), has brandished a gun of one sort or another, so I'm not that worked up about it:

Pertwee - zapped an Ogron out of existence with a futuristic gun (Day of the Daleks)

Tom Baker - brandished a modern handgun after obtaining it from Scorby (who he'd just beaten the crap out of while freeing Sarah in Seeds Of Doom)

Davison - rather uselessly pointed a futuristic gun at advancing Cybermen before someone finally remmebered to close the doors (Earthshock)

Colin Baker - went nuts with a cyber-gun in cyber-HQ, with his last kill being the Cyber Controller (Attack of the Cybermen)

McGann - please hand over the keys, or I shall shoot myself!

Eccleston - found something in Adam's stash that wasn't a hairdryer (Dalek)

Tennant - threatens the nutty xenophobic colonist who shot Jenny (Doctor's Daughter)

It's not like this is an "OMG they broke the show!" precedent. I doubt Smith will be any more a gun-toting Doctor than anyone else we've seen to date. And all of the above instances are very extreme situations... well, okay, maybe not McGann. (I've been working on a new edit of DW35M, does it show?)
Back to top Go down
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:58 am

McGann's gun-brandishing moment is my favorite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1478
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:23 am

mysterylad wrote:
McGann's gun-brandishing moment is my favorite.

Agreed. That and Tom Baker's in Seeds of Doom because he never held the Trigger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kasterborous.com
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:52 pm

And I believe Davison actually shot a Dalek (outside of his travel suit) square in the, for lack of a better word, "face" with an actual 9mm pistol in Resurrection of the Daleks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:12 am

Have to say that is NOT a flattering picture. Overall more curious why they felt the need to stick the gun scene in, especially after the back and forth over Tennant choosing to take the gun in the end. Either way, it was certainly a menacing expression to go with it's use. At least it was menacing until I finally clicked on who Matt Smith reminds me of...Crispin Glover in the first Back to the Future! Hope he doesn't come off as George Mcfly II.

More interesting to me was the appearance of Riversong. Looking here and there, it seems she will be appearing in eps 4/5 and supposedly 12/13. The strange part was her outfit looked to be from yesteryear not the future. Glad to see that we will be getting to her character, just not sure it should be that soon in the series.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:52 pm

So... who's seen the new trailer? Trailer #2 that is, aired today.

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-series-trailer.html

Different from other trailers. Didn't like it myself, but it's just a trailer. Pretty cheesey Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rooners

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:12 pm

rdks wrote:
So... who's seen the new trailer? Trailer #2 that is, aired today.

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-series-trailer.html

Different from other trailers. Didn't like it myself, but it's just a trailer. Pretty cheesey Laughing

Mmmm, I agree...it was a bit Sarah Jane Adventures to me...clearly an attempt to try and convince younger viewers that this is still going to be worth watching even without DT.

Didn't think much of the trailer (well it was more of an promotion as it didn't really trailer any clips) but I still think the new series will be cracking. Great writers, great producers and someone who I think will be a fantastic Doctor. I've just re-watched the original trailer that went out after End of Time to remind myself how good the new series looks.

Last edited by rooners on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwcollector/sets/

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Not sure about this one; it felt a big tail-wagging-the-dog to me: "let's make something that'll look cool in 3-D!" rather than "let's make something that actually says anything about the new series". But I have to keep reminding myself that I was initially unimpressed with the Eccleston "D'you wanna come with me?" trailer, and now I think it's brilliant.

Smith's got an incredible voice, though; I really am looking forward to him as the Doctor. Perhaps despite the new trailer! LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:43 pm

I found it to be 'exciting'. It shows a lot of promise of the new season being a whirlwind without giving anything away , but teasing us with the old monsters showing up. I would like one season without the Daleks in it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:50 pm

Hoosier Whovian wrote:
I would like one season without the Daleks in it.
I agree 100%. Daleks are like cats and toddlers: when you haven't heard a peep out of them in a while, it's all the more suspicious.... give them a break and build some anticipation.
Back to top Go down
rdks

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:54 pm

As much as I love Daleks, I have to agree. The first meeting of a new Doc and the Daleks is always exciting for me. They should have teased it once or twice before them finally meeting next season.

I just pray the episode doesn't end with millions invading the Earth or any form of cross-species reproduction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thete

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Darleks are becoming as common as muck now a days its almost enough to make you forget that they where obliterated in the Time War. As for the rest of it, I know they wanted to distinguish themselves from the CE/DT era but this is a bit of a jump style wise. Also MS voice when he says 'every star that ever was', he sounds like he's forcing an accent to sound like some clever english chappy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:51 pm

I'm trying to avoid focusing on the trailers too much. I want to be introduced to the new Doctor and companion properly. I still feel a little uncomfortable going from the End of Time to shots of him smiling and running around all willy-nilly. I'm sure it'll be fine in context though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4624
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: !Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!   Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:57 pm

I thought the trailer was fun. It wasn't as cool as the Series 1 or Series 4 trailers but it had a different sort of energy. It was better than the series 2 and 3 ones though I think. I groan every time I hear the "I'm the Doctor/Doctor Who" joke but oh well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

!Spoilers! Series 5 trailer !Spoilers!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: