Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

New to Who--Suggestions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lois Lane

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: New to Who--Suggestions?   Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:13 pm

Like many folks, I'm new to the Who Universe with the new series. (My only prior experience was occassionally catching some of the Tom Baker episodes a local station ran sporadically as a kid.)

Very interested in watching some of the past Doctors, but not sure what would be a good place to start.

So... any suggestions? Would be particullarly interested in runs I could pick up on DVD.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: New to Who--Suggestions?   Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:54 pm

Is there a particular part of the new series that you enjoy? I have found that the classic series is a little easier to get into (for new fans) if you can make a connection. "Genesis of the Daleks" is very popular and it explains where those little buggers came from. I like the "robots of death" and "the ark in space" was just mentioned on the board as being a favorite. I would avoid anything directly involving Gallifrey right away as it probably won't live up to mystique built by the current show.

I should warn you that I am BY NO MEANS an expert on the classic stuff and I'm sure someone else on here is better qualified to give you advice. :-D
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New to Who--Suggestions?   Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:59 pm

I have been referred to as an expert on the classic who. Been watching since I was about 9. 37 now. I will pick a story per doctor that might give you a wide variety of shows to watch.

Although off the top of my head, I would recommend TERROR OF THE ZYGONS as the first one. Unfortunately, it isnt on the list of DVD's yet. How Horror of Fang Rock makes it before a Douglas Camfield classic I will never understand. Rolling Eyes

1st and 2nd Doctor. Pick up the LOST IN TIME double set. great value for money and it has a nice mix of episodes, historical and sci fi.

The following is a top two list for each doctor except doctor 4. He had some good stuff. These are a DVD list.

1st doctor :doc1:
THE AZTECS a great historical.
AN UNEARTHLY CHILD just the first episode, the rest is crap

2nd doctor :doc2:
TOMB OF THE CYBERMEN Cybermen!!!
THE MIND ROBBER the weirdness factor recommends it

3rd doctor :doc3:
INFERNO very unusual premise for who even if it is a long story it keeps up the pace
CLAWS OF AXOS The Master and it is only 4 parts :master:

4th doctor :doc4:
ARK IN SPACE Great first night for the new doctor, he has a great speech about Homo-Sapiens
GENESIS OF THE DALEKS I am not a fan of the Daleks, but Davros in this one makes it SO compelling to watch
PYRAMIDS OF MARS Gabriel Woolf as Sutekh almost outshines Tom Baker He was also the voice of the beast in Impossible Planet and Satan Pit
CITY OF DEATH great fun and lalla Ward is so cute in her schoolgirl outfit;)

5th doctor :doc5:
EARTHSHOCK Many classic moments and the commentary track is great
CAVES OF ANDROZANI great serious sendoff from the pen of Bob Holmes

6th doctor :doc6:
MARK OF THE RANI I enjoy all the location work and Colin is doing a great job in this one as he shows he DOES care for Peri
TWO DOCTORS It has both Pat Troughton and the Sontarans, TALL sontarans

7th doctor :doc7:
REMEMBRANCE OF THE DALEKS guest cast and a nice story without getting too bogged down in the shows history
CURSE OF FENRIC Creepy period piece and great for those who like a good old fashioned monster story

A good VHS is MORE THAN 30 YEARS IN THE TARDIS
a great fun retrospective. Made before the movie came out.

I also enjoy the refernce books for the show too.
I will say I am SURE that my list will not meet the criteria of others lists, but hey this is MY list.
Back to top Go down
Lois Lane

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: New to Who--Suggestions?   Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:34 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rplath

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: New to Who--Suggestions?   Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:10 pm

Every time I introduce someone to the classic show, I use "Remembrance of the Daleks." It's a fast-paced, action-packed story with McCoy at his best, Daleks galore, good special effects, and a story that has a bit more meaning than most, not to mention a female companion with some spunk. Hope you have a chance to see this one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
englishrose

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: New to Who--Suggestions?   Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:49 am

1st Doctor-The Beginning is a nice boxset as it has the initial stuff in it.
2nd Doctor-The Invasion.
I still get chillls watching the scene of the manhole covers being thrown off with a loud metallic clank and then the sight of the Cybermen walking down the steps of St. Pauls Cathedral in London still gives me chills.
The Tomb of the Cybermen-Another iconic scene with the Cybermen breaking out of their refrigerated floor to ceiling storage chambers.
3rd Doctor-Inferno
The entire supporting cast as well as the Brigadier and Liz Shaw got the chance to play dual versions of their characters with our UNIT friends now puppets in a totalitarian regime in the alternate Earth.
Has the great musing by Jon Pertwee about free will not being an illusion after all.
The Green Death
My other favorite Pertwee era story as it tackles the subjects of ecology, pollution, and related environmental issues without resorting to the ham-fisted morality play approach Star Trek:TNG would adopt a decade or so later.
The Green Death also has giant maggots, a supercomputer which hums "Ode to Joy", and the previous heart-breaking goodbye scene between the Doctor and his companion.
Before the 10th Doctor and Rose Tyler, there was the wonderful "The fledgling flies the coop" scene between the Third Doctor and Jo Grant in the last minutes and then the Doctor drives off in Bessie into the sunset.
4th Doctor-City of Death and The Pirate Planet
Both written by my late literary hero Douglas Adams which should be enough incentive on its own.
The Talons of Weng Chiang
Another story in which writing, acting, production design, directing, and all other facets of drama coalesce into a sublime entertainment set in Victorian London.
5th Doctor-Earthshock
Years later, the quality of writing in the first episode is still a masterclass in misdirection until that cliffhanger...
The Black Guardian Trilogy(Mawdryn Undead, Terminus, and Enlightenment)
Problematic for the fallacy of the basic idea at their heart, they do feature the terrific Valentine Dyall as the Black Guardian, he who was the voice of Deep Thought in both the radio and television series of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."
6th Doctor-The Two Doctors
Replace Jon Pertwee with Colin Baker and you have Patrick Troughton making fat jokes and comments about the amazing technicolor dreamcoat all the while working in his double act with Frazier Hines.
"Looka at the size of that one, Doctor!"
"Yes Jamie, it is a big one!"
7th Doctor-Remembrance of the Daleks
Ace going upside a Dalek's head with her trusty baseball bat, amped up by the Doctor.
Ghost Light
Doing what the BBC do so well in placing Doctor Who within the framework of the costume drama/English country house mystery.
Marc Platt's script remains as baffling and resistant to deconstruction but the peformances are all superb.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: New to Who--Suggestions?   Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:01 pm

Some of my picks of choice.

Hartnell
-The Time Meddler
(There is a classic response to Steven from the Doctor about a helmet they are looking and holding, I do not want to spoil it.)
-An Unearthly Child
(As mentioned above, just the first episode, also a near must since it started the show.)
-Lost in Time DVD set / Marco Polo
(Sadly Marco Polo does not exist in full video format but there is a nice extra on the mentioned dvd box set, and the audio release is also available.)

Troughton
-The Mind Robber
-The War Games
(Though many seem to think it is a bit slow. Also noted for first appearance of the Sonic Screwdriver.)
-Seeds of Death
(A bit long/slow at times but still a good story.)
-Lost in Time DVD set

Pertwee
-The Three Doctors
(The bits between Pertwee and Troughton are great, and to see Hartnell in what I believe is his last screen appearance. He also has some great lines.)
-The Mutants
-The Daemons
-Frontier In Space

T. Baker
-Stones of Blood
-The Deadly Assassin
-The Sun Makers

Davison
-Mawdryn Undead
-Enlightenment
-Planet of Fire
(Mainly due to the fact that Nicola Bryant knows how to fill a swim suit, otherwise a good release, but there are better first choices. Smile )

C Baker
-The Mark of the Rani
-Trial Of A Time Lord
(When the Doctor and the Valeyard are at each other is when it is at its best.)

McCoy
-The Curse of Fenric
-Survival
Back to top Go down
View user profile

New to Who--Suggestions?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: