Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
cmdrkoenig67

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:56 am

gregtdj wrote:

Freema Agyeman who has played Martha Jones, The Doctor's companion throughout the critically acclaimed third series, will return to the show to join The Doctor and Donna mid series.

Cmdr...be afraid, be very afraid...[/quote]

AAAAAAAAAHHHH!!! Kidding...I like Catherine Tate...I'm just not sure about a whole season of Donna....Gulp! Very Happy

Calixar wrote:

As a writer, I love seeing character development. I really look forward to seeing Donna's edge being worn away as she realizes that the universe is far bigger than her life. With her, they could really get into stories about the suffering of the weak and show her developing more compassion and sympathy toward others.

gregtdj wrote:
The only major problem I have with this is the way they paint the Doctor. Donna coming back, especially after her comments at the end of the runaway bride, just adds to the whole "he's just really lonely" premise. I understand that being the last of his kind would make for some feeling of loneliness, but sometimes they give the impression that he has to have constant company. When he found Rose, and in the stories that followed, you got the sense that he had been on his own and doing quite well. Now it seems like he's a lonely guy desperate for any kind of interaction, to the point that he'd go back and get a woman who didn't really care for him, his adventures or his occasional need to be firm. With the basis for Donna, you know she would have admonished him had she been in Martha's role for the Family of Blood, and certainly for the way he dealt with them.

To play devil's advocate, and because I kind of see your view on this one Calixar. If they keep the focus on Donna's character evolving from total self involvement towards personal growth like they did with Rose, and certainly with Martha, it might be alright. Donna is the type of character that you connect with or never accept. In all honesty this move does have the chance of hurting the fourth season because of the way she's received. I certainly hope they take it more seriously and flesh it out better than they did the return and much to quick demise of the Master.

Seriously...I wouldn't mind if Donna grows up a bit during the season...It might be very interesting, I'm also glad that Martha/Freema will be back...Yay! I'm just plain looking forward to more Who....Period.

Dana

Last edited by on Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:03 pm

Sorry having just seen the first 2 eps on Sci-fi I'm not as up to speed as the rest. Based on what I've seen Martha doesn't seem so bad yet. Donna was okay at best but there seems to be MUCH room for development of her character I would say Tegan-esque? Stories seem a fair bit condensed. Lot of build and then in the last ten minutes of the show all is resolved in a rush. Maybe they shouldn't be as afraid to do the two-parters? I thought the Judoon were well done. Two nit-picking complaints:
1. Could someone please hold the camera steady on the Empress please! I was dizzy and ready to puke as the would do multiple cuts to her head shot and then jiggle all around. If the weren't confident in her make-up work then they should have filmed the shots differently.
2. A bendy straw?! A bendy straw?! I mean seriously that is truly weak. If it was a "special straw" add a point, change the color, something. I don't want gore mind you but when she plunge the straw into the Doctor neck it was like she just pop a straw into a large drink at Mickey D's. No muss no fuss. Their CGI has been decent enough couldn't they just have a sucky tongue thing come out of her mouth or something. And I mean like morphing a human tongue so that it wouldn't trip the Judoon scanners.

All and all pleased so far and will await more previews from the lucky ones as I hold out til next fri for ep2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:18 pm

I particularly enjoyed gridlock for all of the different characters it was able to show us, But I wont say anymore.
Back to top Go down
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:09 pm

I think, with the straw, that they were keeping the "family" demographic in mind.
To a child watching the show the straw adds an element of humor where a long tongue might have been a bit distressing.

I recall the one and only time my son watched Smallville with my wife and I. It was the one where the kid had taken on bug qualities and filled his room with cobwebs. He makes a comment to his mother about young spiders eating their mothers then opens his mouth and lets out a growly hiss as he lunges at her. My son screamed and started to cry. Five/six years later he will still leave the room when Smallville comes on.

I think the straw was about humor, mostly. That whole episode was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Space rhinos...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:36 pm

Yep, I understand and am greatful for the family friendliness of the show. My son is still terrified of werewolves since tooth and claw! He doesn't even play with the figure. Thanks for rehashing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:18 pm

Looks like the Christmas special is moving at full tilt...found this on Outpost Gallifrey's news page...

http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php

Quote :

Clive Swift has been cast in the forthcoming episode Voyage of the Damned, the 2007 Doctor Who Christmas special, according to a report in the Jewish Telegraph.

The actor is no stranger to Doctor Who, having played Jobel in the 1985 serial Revelation of the Daleks starring Colin Baker.

He is most famous, however, for the role of Richard Bucket (pronounced "Bouquet" - a long-running gag), the hen-pecked husband of Patricia Routledge's Hyacinth in the BBC TV comedy Keeping Up Appearances.

In the Telegraph piece, Swift says of his Christmas special character: "It's a lovely part and I'll be working with Kylie Minogue, who I was introduced to at the read-through, and David Tennant, who is a terrific actor."

Swift also appeared in the BBC TV drama Born and Bred, which ran from 2002 to 2004 and was created by Chris Chibnall, the co-producer of Torchwood.

Of course no word on what that part is or the storyline. Here's a quick thought, any chance that the end of the last time lords will be referenced/addressed in this or just be left until the 4th season premier?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:30 pm

Maybe he could be palying the captain of the ship? I was able to watch born and bred on my local PBS station recently. Very good program with a LOT of the actors from the current version of Who appearing.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:17 am

Hey guys. Since season 3 is now complete in the UK and starting to air in the US I just set up a new section for discussing season 3. There is a new "Complete Season 3" topic there and (hopefully) spoiler-free threads for each new episode.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gregtdj

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:16 am

Let me jump in and take the time to say welcome back. Now that you've done all the Moddy stuff, did you get the chance to watch the finale yet? I'm sure you've read the last few posts, so what was your take on the parting shot of the hand and the ring? I don't remember where but I came across a bit elsewhere about RTD being made to add it in post-production.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:13 pm

Just watched it last night. The actual shot did seem a bit forced, though I'm not against the idea. I think I'd prefer an "out" get layed down now rather than streching for excuses in a few years when they eventually bring him back.

Lets face it. If Doctor Who continues for even a fraction of the length of the original series we're going to see the Master return again, more old monsters, and probably the return of Gallifrey (in some form) just to keep the story moving. If they throw in shots like that from time to time it makes the series feel a little more coherant in the long run.

Didn't seem particularly necessary though, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gregtdj

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:25 pm

In the low rated movie, the master took on the form of a snake from Skaro, until he took over Roberts' character. I'm hoping they don't go that screwball of a route if or when they bring him back. Back on the hunt for more about the Christmas special. Latest bit from the Doctor Who news page

Quote :

The first picture from the set of the Doctor Who Christmas Special - Voyage of the Damned has been revealed.

Kylie who plays Astrid - a waitress on The Titanic - began filming in Cardiff this week for the special which will air on BBC 1 during Christmas 2007.

She stars alongside David Tennant in a story that follows on directly from the ending of series three where viewers witnessed The Titanic crash through the TARDIS walls.

We can also confirm that Britain's best loved sitcom actors, Geoffrey Palmer and Clive Swift will play lead roles in the Christmas episode. With Geoffrey taking the helm of the Titanic in his role as Captain.

Voyage of the Damned will also feature Gray O'Brien who recently appeared in the Oscar winning film The Queen, Debbie Chazen; star of the BBC comedy series The Smoking Room, Olivier Award winner Clive Rowe, Russell Tovey from the smash hit film The History Boys, Jimmy Vee who has previously been in Doctor Who as the Moxx of Balhoon and George Costigan who starred in The Long Firm and the acclaimed film Rita Sue and Bob Too.

Picture is here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thedoctor

Number of posts : 1004

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:39 am

season 3 was not up to what rtd gave us in season 1 or 2. to me it was just kinda half done with over blown sfx put in to make people go wow, and bringing donna back..aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! i feel sick. if anyone cares to read it here's my thoughts.

SMITH AND JONES

I liked this one, cool aliens good script, and great sfx's. good start to the season. it could have been a great show if they would have just kept it set around Martha and the doctor. we don't need to know right off the bat that she has a family and that their a pain in the ass. if they would have left that out it would have been so much better. the only other thing is with the doctor still working on getting over rose I can't see him just taking Martha on board the tardis just because she did so well with the judoon. it would have worked better if she jumped in at the last minute and the doctor said ok I guess I kind of owe you one. then just never made it back right away then when he did he felt different about her and asked her to stay.

THE SHAKESPEARE CODE

good show, not as good as I had hoped it would be. I did really like the deal with the doctor and Shakespeare throwing lines off one another. I didn't like the whole Martha loves the doctor but he can only think of rose thing. just a little early for all that. maybe 3 or 4 more shows down the road and I think it would have worked better. it seems like they want to stay with the same story line as the first two seasons. alien meets girl, girl falls for alien, alien shows off for girl, they fall in love and it's all happy nappy til bad boy alien steals girl away at seasons end. the witches were cool but I think they let the set of the globe theater get in the way of the story.

GRIDLOCK

man, what happened here? Russell T. wrote this? I don't even know where to go here. this to me is the "fear her" of season 3. that show was just so bad and made so little sense to me. this one is the same. a traffic jam? that goes on for years? where's the story here? I know they wanted to put boa in one more time but if what he had to say, [and let's face it everyone had a good idea that was where this was going] way didn't he say it in season two? why wait? they brought back a cool 60's alien and did nothing with it. could have made it any no name monster and it would have worked. at least had the marrca attacking people on the beach and someone trying to assassinate boa who we find out at seasons end was sent by the master.

DALEKS IN MANHATTAN

loved it. didn't think I would but, yeah very good. the daleks had one of the best plans since the 60's. I was a little put off by the pig men I'd like to have seen the orgaons come back but for me this story worked very well. the only thing that hurt it was them putting the picture of the human dalek out there before showing it on TV.

EVOLUTION OF THE DALEKS

still loved it. just stayed a good story up to the end where dalek cann got away. I really think that it is time to put the daleks to bed for the last time. you can only go so far if something before it just gets ho hum and I think that was seen with the 80's dalek shows. I think the last good one was when they teamed with the master in the 70's.

THE LAZARUS EXPERIMENT

another fine fine story. this one could have been a good two parter. the villain was a villain and the monster worked for me. the only down side of it was Martha's family. I can't say it enough these people are boring and I do not see way we must have them there. get rid of them,make it a two parter so we can have a bit more back story about Lazarus and his wife before the big night and you have some great TV.

well with this one we start down again. season 3 for me is a roller coaster ride. I'm lost with this one. and what is funny is as we where watching this one I was thinking "the impossible planet". then charolette [my wife] turns to me and goes is this part of the one where they find the devil on that planet? could have been one of those race the clock tales where as soon as the doctor thinks "there I've got it" another problem happens and we start the race again. as it is this one just falls flat. filler.

HUMAN NATURE

well I can make this short for you. FANTASTIC! 100% solid. could have been a 3 parter so easily and worked. spend a good 30 minutes with the human doctor and waited to bring Martha in so your going where is she? leave out the dream stuff til the 2nd part and have you thinking what's going on, I don't care about the boring life of a school teacher. then led us into the dream stuff. everyone take a bow. wow.

THE FAMILY OF BLOOD

see above WOW FANTASTIC. what can I say. damn good. this is doctor who.

BLINK

well, could have been one of those great stories that make you look at things with a bit of fear. but given the time limit of 45 minutes it don't have enough time to do that. could have been a good two parter. there was a few stories this season that were hurt by being one episode long. this is one. I love the story and all but it just didn't have the time it needed to give you a real creep factor. still very good not as good as "the girl in the fireplace" but I'll be damned if moffet didn't try.

UTOPHIA

i'll get the last 3 done this weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: