Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Whofan

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:03 pm

I can't wait to see what happens!!!!!!How is Martha going to help? I kinda whant her to go get help since she has Jack's watch she could get Rose or what about her going and getting the 9th doctor like they used to do with the other doctors?O well I will just have to what and see:(
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:58 pm

Hoosier Whovian wrote:

This season also didnt have an easter egg in it eiher. No BAD WOLF or TORCHWOOD. Maybe that got to people also as far as disappointments.

Let's hope we see stephen fry's episode next year.

Easter egg: "VOTE SAXON".

According to Peter Davison, a friend of Stephen Fry, he pulled out from writing for the new series completely. Davison seemed to think it was a good thing.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:56 pm

Here's a theory for the "Toclafane = Time Lords" camp.

The Time Lords were desperate and scared of losing the Time War so they decided to bring back the Master. He came up with a plan to hide them within the Time Vortex using those little spheres to hold their consciousness. Because of the Master's hatred for the Doctor and the Time Lord's disapproval of the Doctor, they abandoned him to clean up the mess while the Master went off and hid until everything was over. The Time Lords also knew that the Doctor would never approve of their hypocracy in taking over a new planet to rebuild the empire. In the end, the Doctor will be forced to decide between his people and society being restored and humanity. The Doctor will destroy the spheres and kill the Master outright ("No second chances, I'm that kind of man"). The episode title, "Last of the Time Lords", describes both the villians and the Doctor at the close of the season. The title is'nt "The Last Time Lord", Last of the Time Lords could describe both a single person or an entire group.

Not sure if I buy it myself (they had to set up Utopia for a reason), but it's always fun to speculate.

Personally I think they should hold back "New Gallifrey" (it's going to happen someday) for a few more seasons - maybe to close off Tennant's run with a bang and give #11 some new ground to tread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:52 pm

When the Master first said "Toclafane" the Doctor scoffed.
Later, he questioned the Master on it, saying something to the effect of, "That's just another name for the Boogie Man."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:39 pm

2 words -

JELLY BABY?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:42 pm

Something has been bothering me ever since the Christmas Invasion. He gets rid of Harriet Jones, but the 9th Doctor stated in World War Three she had led Britain througha new golden age. Perhaps, something happens at the end of this to wipe out Saxon and restore Harriet to power.

Of course World War 3 was in the first series when the grand schemes werent really being worked on apart from Bad wolf, so perhaps just a slight conitnuity thing.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:03 pm

At that point she would have been, but the Doctor later changed history by eroding confidence in her (Christmas Invasion). I have always wondered though, how history can be different than the Doctor expects unless it is directly changed by time travel directly related to the Doctor. Oh well, Doctor Who has always played it a little loose when it comes to such details.

On a different note: Improper use of the word "decimate" has always been a huge pet peeve of mine. Maybe the Master isn't so bad after all... :master:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:28 pm

Besides, Harriet Jones is now dead... killed by the Master's little robot pals from another dimension.

Surely I'm not the only person to notice that the blonde reporter was Harriet Jones in disguise... ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:33 pm

I thought she looked familiar. But I feed didnt have the credits so I wasnt able to see about some of the actors.

Of course, when I was talking about Harriet coming back, I was thinking about the paradox machine, the Doctor might be able to 'decimate' Saxon's 18 months on earth and change history. That would be a paradox also. Wink

I always thought that decimate is what they did to the currency in Britain in the 70's. Laughing Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:34 pm

could Toclafane be Welsh? I have been trying to see if it makes another word to no success, as yet. Mad
Back to top Go down
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:00 pm

Wow... there are already 14,400 results for Toclafane in Google!
Back to top Go down
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:07 pm

I want to throw in my annoyance at the President referring to himself as "President Elect of the United States."

"President Elect" is a title used to denote a person who has been elected but not yet taken office.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:58 pm

Calixar wrote:
I want to throw in my annoyance at the President referring to himself as "President Elect of the United States."

"President Elect" is a title used to denote a person who has been elected but not yet taken office.

I was quite let down by the fact that he didn't look or sound like Bush. "The last president of America." Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:06 pm

Calixar wrote:
Besides, Harriet Jones is now dead... killed by the Master's little robot pals from another dimension.

Surely I'm not the only person to notice that the blonde reporter was Harriet Jones in disguise... ?

Actually, that wasn't Penelope Wilton who was slain by the Toclafane(sp?), but rather another character and actress.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:48 pm

I went back and watched it again, although there was a similarity, it wasnt her, adn I think she would have revealed herself to the Masters wife.

This whole lets be human thing with the timelords now is something that was bothering a friend of mine. She does NOT like it one bit. However, I think that since they spent time being human, perhaps the 8th Doctor became human at one point to survive the time war, the comment about him not surviving by choice could refer to that.

It all rubbed off and they have human tendancies now. I do think the whole shagging the companions with the companions Doctor and Master is getting a bit old.

Thoughts anyone?
Back to top Go down
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:29 am

That wasn't her... huh... that was my first thought when she came into the room, that this was Harriet Jones posing as a reporter.

This guy wouldn't look like Bush as this is a couple years in the future. In the 2005 series the Doctor accidentally brings Rose back a year late (2006). From that point on the series "modern day" has always been ahead of reality.
During that "one year in the future" the Doctor spots future Prime Minister Jones. Their next visit to Earth and she is already established as PM. Everything we've seen of "now" has happened after that, which makes the entirety of the "modern" bits roughly two years in the future. This President is the guy after Bush.
Back to top Go down
cmdrkoenig67

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:07 pm

I posted my thoughts on the Toclafane on another board...I'm going to just repost them here...

The Master asks the the Doctor if he recalls hearing fairy tales/stories about the Toclafane, when they were children on Gallifrey (the Doctor says it's made up name for the Bogeyman? The Bogeyman of Gallifrey, perhaps?). The episode also revealed how the Master has returned. I also have to wonder who or what his wife, Lucy is?

What if the Toclafane are exiled criminal Time Lords? Jack mentions hearing legends about Gallifrey and he wonders aloud about how such a wonderful society could produce the criminally-minded Master...Maybe he wasn't the first?

The Master seemed to know about how many Toclafane there are and he used the Paradox machine built from the TARDIS to rip in what appeared to be time/space...Freeing them. Maybe he's bringing the Time Lords back...Just not the good ones?

I dunno.

Dana
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:13 pm

I've wondered that about Lucy, too. There's something very "Stepford Wife" about her.

Interesting thoughts on the Toclafane... Time Lords who were put into the machine that erases them from existence (like almost happend to Tom Baker)... they must go somewhere...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:59 pm

Maybe she is just a good little piece of crumpet. Sorry watching the Master I feel a bit sexist at times.

I was surpried the whole "girlie and the freak" remark made it into it.
Back to top Go down
Whofan

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:12 pm

I found this on the sci-fi forum Spoillers!!!

Confirmed by a slip of the BBC's Dr Who website, which mistakenly uploaded new images to the site reveal the Toclafane to be a genetic splice of Dalek and The Doctor (The Master utilises the genetic make-up from The Doctors severed hand and fuses both species together, hence the Doctor's hearts will break when he finds he is responsible for a new breed of contained Dalek.

TOC-LA-FANE

TOC = as in time

LA = as in the (french)

FANE = well, thane is SAXON for LORD (apparently!) maybe the pronuciation for TH can be PH or F

Toclaphane = The Time Lord
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cmdrkoenig67

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:35 am

Whofan wrote:
I found this on the sci-fi forum Spoillers!!!

Confirmed by a slip of the BBC's Dr Who website, which mistakenly uploaded new images to the site reveal the Toclafane to be a genetic splice of Dalek and The Doctor (The Master utilises the genetic make-up from The Doctors severed hand and fuses both species together, hence the Doctor's hearts will break when he finds he is responsible for a new breed of contained Dalek.

TOC-LA-FANE

TOC = as in time

LA = as in the (french)

FANE = well, thane is SAXON for LORD (apparently!) maybe the pronuciation for TH can be PH or F

Huh?....New Doctor-Daleks that have male and female voices...And none of the voices sounding anything like the Doctor's? That doesn't make much sense.

I still think they might be criminal Time Lords, imprisoned by the good Time Lords...Remember, during The Five Doctors episode, the Doctor mentioned that many of the Time Lords became corrupt and used Rassilon's time scoop to kidnap aliens and forced them to battle each other to the death in ancient times...Maybe those corrupt Time Lords were imprisoned extradimensionally for their evil deeds.

Dana
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

Number of posts : 2725
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:13 am

I could say great minds think alike, as for the past couple of years, I've been working on story ideas (detailed on my website), and now I hear about The Master cloning Daleks and everything! This is what my friend wanted me to write for the past few months!!

At least it gives me a clearer understanding of how The Master will create a female Dr in my alternate universe story....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:23 am

Sorry, I have been away this week at another board dealing with the surreal events of last weekend. Noticed a few things I wanted to comment on so please excuse the lateness of my replies...

CJSchmidt wrote:
The reason for the lack of Torchwood is that RTD wants to keep the two shows as separate as possible because it's aimed at a much more mature audience.

They may not direct the Doctor Who audience towards Torchwood, but they certainly direct the Torchwood fans to Doctor Who. The incidents at Canary Wharf are mentioned, with a surviving CyberWoman in one episode. The mystery of the hand is carried on through the entire first season with it glowing at the sound of the Tardis in the season finale. And there's a Vote Saxon poster in the Captain Jack Harkness episode.

I don't think they're keeping them that separate, just that we haven't dealt with the story of what happened to Torchwood in Doctor Who until now. I thought it just added to the depth of how much control the Master had by not only taking care of Martha's family but preventing Jack from having access to anything that could help the Doctor.

Calixar wrote:
So, any speculation of what the Troclofayne (or however it's spelled) are? The Master told the Doctor it would break his hearts... and they seemed to come through a rift in SpaceTime...

Whofan wrote:

...hence the Doctor's hearts will break when he finds he is responsible for a new breed of contained Dalek.

TOC-LA-FANE

TOC = as in time

LA = as in the (french)

I had been playing the anagram game myself to come up with something. It always seems standard MO for the Master to use them. Best I got was...
a fat clone
a lone fact
a con left a
of a lancet
cane aloft
once a flat
talon face
facet loan
once fatal

I got the impression these things had been in contact with the Master since he was a child. They had reached out through the vortex for him to help them and they were responsible for the sound of drums. Not sure how he could create them and they reach out to him before that time, so it will be interesting to find out exactly what they are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whofan

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:48 am

I can't wait to see what happens:)Hope I get to see it tonight:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sergiusbulgakov

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2007-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)   Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:25 pm

I think the sci-fi board spoilers person is confused; we already HAD humans mixed with Dalek and Doctor DNA -- in New York City.

Now, I suspect they are Time Lord children (babies) being grown by the Master. That's why it would break the Doctor's hearts -- the Time Lords are back but ALL under the control of the Master.... as their new founding father.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vox-nova.com

Season 3 Discussion - SPOILERS! (renamed)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: