Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

How to get your friends into Doctor Who

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5982
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: How to get your friends into Doctor Who   Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:38 am

Tired of watching Doctor Who alone? Got a friend who might be receptive, but are unsure how to break him/her in? I've got a couple ideas.

Pick one story from each Doctor and watch them together. Afterwards find out which Doctor he/she likes best and go from there.

If your friend likes classic tv and/or classic sci-fi, go with Jon Pertwee and start at the beginning. His stories, particularly the early ones, are generally not too alien-heavy and are Earthbound so its easier to ease in to what Doctor Who can be. Eventually when the Doctor goes back into space in the TARDIS, you already know who he is and have a taste for the show, so its not such a huge leap.

If your friend likes contemporary tv or sci-fi, go with Christopher Eccleston and start from the beginning. Russel T. Davies did a brilliant job of making Rose's discovery of the Doctor and his universe our discoveries too. Also, he designed the first several episodes specifically to show how varied the show can be.

Most folks with a passing knowledge of Who know Tom Baker, so carefully selected stories could be an icebreaker. I say carefully selected because Tom can be so over-the-top that the uninitiated could be put off. He is very charismatic, though, so it may not be an issue. It depends on your friend's tastes in actors.

I hope this is helpful. Both the Pertwee and Eccleston methods have worked on some of my friends, and long ago the one-from-each Doctor method worked for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whovian

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: And...   Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:25 pm

And if you're trying to get a guy into Dr. Who, just show him Kinda followed by Snakedance.

Ba-dap-bop-bop-baaa, I'm lovin' it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: How to get your friends into Doctor Who   Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:38 pm

bind to chair, tape eyelids open, strong lamp light above head...place subject near t.v. set to watch doctor who...

actually I have converted a few people...I had a friend of mine watch Blink after he noticed all of my toys in front of my computer and was intrigued....after Blink he watched family of blood...then his wife got interested and they watched all of series three first.
Both of them have now seen series 1-4...tried to get them into the classics with the five doctors...they were not so much into it- they prefer the new series. Shame on them- I grew up as a child of the eighties with Pertwee, Baker and Davison. My family is more of the drama/mystery/reality t.v. sort- I think I was adopted...none of them are into Who except my sister in law...of course I get along well with her!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forbidden_moose

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: How to get your friends into Doctor Who   Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:42 am

In order to show them to the classic series here is my master plan. You should start them with Robot, and then show them more hinchcliffs. Then expand to the Pertwees (The Daemons, Sea devils and auton ones should prove favorable) and later Tom Baker seasons (City of Death) introduce the odd Davidson, or sixties episode (Caves, Earthshock, Resurection/ The deadplanet, Invasion of Earth, Tomb, and The Mind Robber) and as the furthur along you go introduce them to some bad serials (Timelash and flight, The Twin Dilema, The Rani serials, Mccoy's first season, The Trial.) Try not to show them any ones longer than six parts when starting out, and don't show them any recons either. Finally introduce the good Mccoy episodes and then the rest of his and Collin Baker's too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: How to get your friends into Doctor Who   Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:45 pm

sounds like a master plan...will try!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How to get your friends into Doctor Who   Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:58 pm

Start them off with More than 30 Years in the TARDIS.
Back to top Go down
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: How to get your friends into Doctor Who   Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:10 pm

Recipe for addiction...

Pick any series of stories from any doctor and obtain the following items...

one chair bolted to the floor
one electro shock collar with remote
one plate of food
one remote for video playback device of your choice
one secluded location with several days of isolation

Simply chain your friend to the chair leaving them able to reach the remote and plate of food. Everytime they choose to eat, simply subject them to a slight shock via the collar. Tell them they can have a bite after each episode of which ever series you've chosen. Apply shocks as needed until they are demanding to see next episode. Eventually they will require doctor who as part of their daily diet.

Side effects include possible weight gain and an uncontrollable need to devour everything in sight during doctor who marathons on BBCA. Also possible police action and jail time for such frivolous charges as kidnapping and holding someone captive. Small price for anyone who is truly devoted to sharing their enjoyment and love of Doctor Who with the masses.

Of course you could just surround yourself with friends who are into sci-fi type things and would enjoy Doctor Who for it's plot and story lines, but why go the easy route. Your love of Doctor Who should fuel you to show devotion that would make a Jehovah's witness slam the door in your face with just the phrase, "Hi, I'm a Whovian and I'd like to talk to you about Doctor Who and how he has saved the world for you!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile

How to get your friends into Doctor Who
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: