Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

New CGI effects: Your Opinion?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: New CGI effects: Your Opinion?   Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:24 pm

Today, on a whim, I watched my Arc of Infinity DVD. Also on a whim, I decided to watch it with the new CGI effects inserted, which was the first time I've ever done that despite so many of the classic DVDs having that option available. As it turned out, I couldn't enjoy the effects! They were well-done, and weren't terribly incongruous with the surrounding footage, but it just didn't quite feel like watching classic Who!

Anyone else have thoughts on the subject? Do you watch your classic Who DVDs with or without the improved effects?

Last edited by mysterylad on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited for sloppy typing)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com

PostSubject: Re: New CGI effects: Your Opinion?   Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:32 pm

Destiny of the Daleks is vastly improved by the CGI option. I like Invisible Enemy with the CGI also, but I do like the old fashioned ones too.

Ark in Space is the only one I do not care for CGI on. The new Nerva just doesnt look right.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5858
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: New CGI effects: Your Opinion?   Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:30 pm

I had the same experience when the original Star Treks had their HD versions with the redone CGI FX. To me, I had watched them so many times since the 70s, that the old effects were what I was used to and expecting to see. I watched the new version once, then subsequent replays just sticking with the originals.

The only DW I have that's had some reworking is The Five Doctors, and I felt the same way. I can see the swirly triangle is a little improvement on the black triangle timescoop, and I guess the swirlies instead of the multiple TARDISes splitting off at the end... but its just not what I am used to.

Same feeling I get when I get a dvd release of a tv series I used to have on tape and the memory of it all is so ingrained through multiple rewatchings and it kind of grinds to a halt hearing substituted generic music for songs that they didn't have (or just didn't want to pay for) the rights for a dvd release.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New CGI effects: Your Opinion?   Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:48 pm

Watch Doomsday Machine and also The Immunity Syndrome those actually are improved by the effects. Doomsday Machine is my fave classic trek episode already.
Back to top Go down
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: New CGI effects: Your Opinion?   Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:34 pm

well the one improvement was the Invasion of time shimmering alluminum fellas...but I sort of skip the cgi really..like it the way it was- bubble wrap n' all- call me a purist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5967
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: New CGI effects: Your Opinion?   Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:40 pm

Love the CG effects! Greatly improves some of the more dodgier effects like in the aforementioned Invasion of Time, Destiny of the Daleks, certainly Five Doctors, but also Dalek Invasion of Earth and Time Warrior. If only there was a way to fix those horrible dinosaurs in Invasion of the Dinosaurs. An otherwise decent story, but that T-Rex...ugh...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

New CGI effects: Your Opinion?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: