Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Big 3 Sci-fi offerings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Big 3 Sci-fi offerings   Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:13 pm

Any thoughts on the nbc,abc,cbs offerings?
Flash forward may be good but I think it will be a late bloomer or need the cult following that Lost has to be a winner.
Defying Gravity? I watched one episode and was utterly lost people,sex, space, mars in room 4???
V-relaunch. Ones again going back to the 80's well. I always liked the original I believe it air before or after Knight Rider on fri's. Once again there is potential we'll see if it can garner viewers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Big 3 Sci-fi offerings   Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:32 am

its funny but i think if they do v right it could be cool but ufortunately i think only joss whedon could pull it off. i really enjoyed dollhouse as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Big 3 Sci-fi offerings   Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:08 am

Traveller, from a couple years back, was fascinating to me. Then it ended. I was starting to piece together a theory about what was happening and now we'll never know!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Big 3 Sci-fi offerings   Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:10 am

Oops... I meant Journeyman.
I liked Traveler, but it wasn't scifi.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
jonwes

Number of posts : 4624
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Big 3 Sci-fi offerings   Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Not sure about Flash Forward. Like a lot of TV shows these days... I just wonder if there's enough story to sustain a series? Maybe.

I'm excited about the V relaunch based on the trailers, but we'll see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Big 3 Sci-fi offerings   Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:30 pm

Jonwes- you mention shows that have a story but not enough for a series that reminded me of my guilty sin this past season with Harper's Island( will use syfy rules and count this show as a sci-fi genre for sake of the post). While this show was nothing more than a glorified scary movie-esque show. I really enjoyed the fact that it was a one-off season. I invested the time to watch a few episodes and figured might as well dvr and watch the rest. I liked the idea of the one season show. For the networks they could have spun this off as a series show by giving it an extra title ie: twilight zone's:harper's island then the next season twilight zone's so-and so ridge. I think in this day and age it harder to keep people's attention and finite shows will gain acceptance. That's the number one killer of on going series is having a jump on point. I didn't start to follow Lost until season 3 and it took me a while to get up to speed.

I'm still curious by the way that no one has bothered to redo Buck Rogers, it's ripe for the picking right?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Big 3 Sci-fi offerings   Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:22 pm

jonwes wrote:
Not sure about Flash Forward. Like a lot of TV shows these days... I just wonder if there's enough story to sustain a series? Maybe.

If you've read the summary of the show, you'd know that
Spoiler:

. How could that not be enough to sustain a series?
Back to top Go down
jonwes

Number of posts : 4624
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Big 3 Sci-fi offerings   Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:26 am

Chris3123 wrote:
jonwes wrote:

Spoiler:

I hadn't read a summary of the show, I just watched the trailer. Is it an anthology series? Or is it focusing on a few characters? I don't know, seems like they took the trick they're doing with Lost and expanded it into a series. But it's all in the execution. At least they aren't trying to break out of prison...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Big 3 Sci-fi offerings   Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:07 pm

Calixar wrote:
Traveller, from a couple years back, was fascinating to me. Then it ended. I was starting to piece together a theory about what was happening and now we'll never know!

Calixar wrote:
Oops... I meant Journeyman.
I liked Traveler, but it wasn't scifi.

Actually the great thing about Journeyman was that they saw the end coming and worked to tie up lose ends as best they could. There were several things that we missed, like the revelation of his son's ability and how his path would play out and the resolution of Dan and Olivia's back and forth relationship. But they did sort of explain how he was able to travel and where his ability came from. Hulu still has the eps, only option at this point since they still have not put out or announced plans for a dvd of the show.

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=journeyman

Certainly worth a few days of viewing and one of the best shows to get screwed by the writer's strike since it overshadowed this one. Still pissed at NBC for this one, and it looks like they will eventually screw Chuck and then Heroes, which means I'll have no reason to pay any attention to them at all. Nasty Buncha Corporate punks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Big 3 Sci-fi offerings   Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:31 am

jonwes wrote:
Chris3123 wrote:
jonwes wrote:

Spoiler:

I hadn't read a summary of the show, I just watched the trailer. Is it an anthology series? Or is it focusing on a few characters? I don't know, seems like they took the trick they're doing with Lost and expanded it into a series. But it's all in the execution. At least they aren't trying to break out of prison...

Well, there is a set of regular characters
Spoiler:

, but we'll be looking into the experiences of people all around the world throughout the series.
Back to top Go down

Big 3 Sci-fi offerings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: