Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

Here we go...the Ergon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Whovian

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Here we go...the Ergon   Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:10 pm

I have held my thoughts in about this topic for some time. For fear of public ridicule. But I say, the heck with it, let's have fun.

I thought the Ergon was scary when I first saw it.

Yup, there. I said it. Go ahead and mock me for being freaked out by the chicken-headed creature. But it's true.

I was a kid when I first saw Arc of Infinity, and when I saw this semi-skeletal beast coming out of this fog-filled doorway, that was creepy.

And since we're on the topic, I felt really bad for Omega in that episode. He was just trying to get his life back, and he was decaying so rapidly. Remember the part where he's watching the puppet show standing next to the kid? How sad was that. He just wanted to live a happy normal life.

And then the Doctor blasted him with his own gun. It seemed merciless. I couldn't understand why the Doctor didn't try to help him instead of blasting him with the gun. It was so cruel. In past episodes, the Doctor did more debating whether to destroy the Daleks than he did over the life of Omega. It was like a no-brainer for the Doctor. Just blast him and end his attempt at a happy life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Here we go...the Ergon   Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:24 pm

I don't think it's weird that you felt bad for Omega...in many ways, Omega is the quintessential tragic villain. He was venerated for his achievements on behalf of Time Lord society, but sacrificed everything in achieving that greatness. Omega's evil is born of the bitterness that comes from doing great things, only to reap no reward other than suffering and isolation.

Perhaps more than any other Doctor Who villain, we can see a measure of our own psychological frailties in Omega.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com

Here we go...the Ergon
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: