Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Merlin stateside

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Merlin stateside   Sat May 09, 2009 8:19 pm

NBC has managed to jump other networks and announce part of their fall line-up (where the hell is Chuck!?!?) and the rest will be announced may 19th (come on Chuck!!). While all shows haven't been announced they have announced that the summer will bring Merlin with the 1 st season of the BBC series beginning in june. Many of the faces of Who have been in the show including Richard Wilson, Anthony Head, Eve Myles, Michelle Ryan, etc. If you've not seen this show, this will be your chance. You can get more info and see the trailer here...

http://www.nbc.com/merlin/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Merlin stateside   Sat May 09, 2009 10:23 pm

I have not seen this show yet- it is nice to see that this is not an american reboot. It looks like a doctor who school reunion- even dr. constantine- what a lovely voice that man has!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Merlin stateside   Sun May 10, 2009 1:51 pm

I managed to watch the entire series and enjoyed it (normally I am not a big fan of de-aging characters but it worked fine with this show) compared to Robin Hood which I never was able to get into preferring the 80s version.

I'm also glad this is not another reboot by the States. In each instance, I would have preferred to see the UK version then the tripe they call a remake (case in point, Viva Laughin, Life on Mars, etc.). Lurking on UK board, I'm always seeing them discussing current US shows while on this end they are usually relegated to seeing their series only on public television (except for the current Doctor Who chain) and almost always years behind. A sorry state.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: Merlin stateside   Mon May 11, 2009 10:18 am

oh don't get me started on life on mars- the american version lacks the grit and style of the two main characters hunt and tyler.
Dull is the word. As for viva- I never saw it- I blinked and it was off the air. I still wonder why blackpool never even made it to pbs stations- it was on bbc america but nothing else...not even a dvd, same for life on mars. The only real successful brit redos are (sigh) three's company and the office. The office did not try to copy and recycle which is why I think it was more sucessful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Merlin stateside   Mon May 11, 2009 12:58 pm

Wasn't Sanford & Son based on a British show? And All in the Family?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
CrochetOwl

PostSubject: Re: Merlin stateside   Tue May 12, 2009 6:37 pm

At least LOM (the UK version) is finally being released in the States at the end of July but I've had my set (both series) since they came out in the UK (the last set actually was released the same week the final episode aired - now that's what I call a quick turnaround).

There were some good American remakes but mostly in the past and not recently (in my opinion). Here's a link to a number of remakes based from the Brit show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_TV_shows_remade_for_the_American_market
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: Merlin stateside   Wed May 13, 2009 9:26 am

july for LOM- yeah!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Merlin stateside   Thu May 14, 2009 1:16 pm

I bet they've changed out a bunch of the music, just like Billie Piper's Callgirl series...
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

PostSubject: Re: Merlin stateside   Fri May 15, 2009 4:01 pm

That's why I opted for a region-free DVD player. Just look at what a mess Quantum Leap was with the music track (and there was a major snit about The Fugitive soundtrack) - the R2 version kept it intact and that's the version I have. Plus, occasionally, prices are actually better overseas than on the R1 versions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Merlin stateside   Fri May 15, 2009 4:12 pm

It's also the only way to see Blakes 7 unless you taped it when it was on PBS. I still have a couple tapes left.
Back to top Go down
jfh100970

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Merlin stateside   Tue May 26, 2009 12:54 pm

Calixar wrote:
Wasn't Sanford & Son based on a British show? And All in the Family?

Sanford was based on Steptoe and Son. I don't think All in the Family was a remake though. I always thought Norman Lear was the only creator.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Merlin stateside   Wed May 27, 2009 12:13 pm

According to the list CrochetOwl posted, All in the Family is based on Till Death Do Us Part.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Merlin stateside   Wed May 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Yes it was.

In fact, the credits for the show state that it is based on the program.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Merlin stateside   Fri May 29, 2009 10:22 am

Yea for Merlin. Nice to see original BBC programming get the prime-time network status they deserve. I guess buying the rights to the show, rebuilding sets, dumbing down the writing, and hiring a bunch of actors with bad English accents (to replace real Brits) was just too expensive this time around.

@gregtdj
Chuck got saved at the last minute by Subway, which offered to sponsor the program if one of the characters worked at a Subway and they got prime advertising. It'll be a shorter season though. Very similar to Eureka and their deodorant sponsorship (speaking of shows that need to come back soon).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Newton Gimmick

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Merlin stateside   Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:20 pm

You guys killed a little piece of me, finding out that Sanford & Son was based off a UK show. KILLED A PIECE OF ME I SAY!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.infinitehollywood.com
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Merlin stateside   Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:39 pm

CJSchmidt wrote:

@gregtdj
Chuck got saved at the last minute by Subway, which offered to sponsor the program if one of the characters worked at a Subway and they got prime advertising. It'll be a shorter season though. Very similar to Eureka and their deodorant sponsorship (speaking of shows that need to come back soon).

Yeah, I got the tragic news too, it's coming back with the same treatment Reaper got. Which means it'll go the same way Reaper did. Why can't we have a show that isn't slick packaged and made for the damn sponsors. Oh wait, I guess that would mean we might enjoy thinking for ourselves instead of just accepting their drivel, and surely that's wrong. We know that because ad revenues, not fan signed and web based petitions tell us so.

Yep, that settles it, still bitter about Journeyman.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Merlin stateside
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: