Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

how or who did you get into who?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: how or who did you get into who?   Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:49 pm

who got you into watching the doctor?
How or what hooked you into the show?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
exilea

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: how or who did you get into who?   Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:50 pm

A blue porta-potty Razz

I'd seen my dad watch DW on occasion (nowhere near the Whovian I am now Smile ). Never really paid it any attention. Then one day we were driving past a construction site and he said "look, theres the turdis". I was like WTF? Then he explained what the TARDIS was and we had a laugh. For some reason, from that day 17+ years ago to this, I've been a die hard Whovian Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

Number of posts : 2730
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: how or who did you get into who?   Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:58 pm

I just flipped channels, found it on PBS (City of Death), BUT, forgot what channel it was on, and didn't see it again 'til a pledge drive, where I saw The 5 Drs. I think it was around '89 or so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WhoMA_Joe

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: how or who did you get into who?   Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:14 pm

early 80's on PBS Chanel 2 Boston
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: how or who did you get into who?   Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:32 pm

pbs chicago in the 80s...
monty python, dave allen, doctor who and the two ronnies.
I had a bad cold when I was in the 6th grade...brother told me to watch this show because he knew how much I loved star wars, battle star (70's version of course). The first episode I ever saw was logopolis...love at first sight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: how or who did you get into who?   Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:42 pm

I had some friends in college tell me about the show, since they knew I like Star Trek and Star Wars, they figured I would like DW. So I started watching it with my younger brother on Christmas break, 1982, on WILL-TV, a PBS channel in Illinois. First episode was part 2 of the Ribos Operation. Took me a few episodes to catch on, but Tom Baker hooked me in.
Lucky for me, the Uniiversity of Illinois Bookstore had all of the Target novels so I was able to catch up until the episodes repeated, and the other Doctors got broadcast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: how or who did you get into who?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:40 pm

Started about 9th grade for me (1986). The PBS station here in the Detroit area played Dr. Who every Sunday night at 10pm. I'd caught a snippet of it here or there while channel surfing, but usually I was doing other things and didn't pay much attention.

Then they aired Earthshock which was the first story I watched in entirety and from that moment I was hooked. For about the next 4-5 years they cycled through most of the stories from Pertwee to McCoy, Davison still sticks with me largely because he was my first Doctor. (for some reason they never played any of the Hartnell or Troughton eps, though in '89 they aired "An Unearthly Child" as part of the 25th anniversary celebration.).

As most U.S. viewers know, PBS stations wouldn't air the individual 1/2 hour chapters but rather the whole of one story in a movie like format. So I'd find myself staying up anywhere from 11pm Sunday night to 1 or 2 am Monday morning to catch the whole thing.

I'd be a wreck at school the next day, but I didn't care. I kind of felt like I'd found this cool new show that no one else knew about. of course as time went on I found out just how large the WHO fanbase really was.

I didn't get my own first VCR until later so I only managed to tape a handful of the Colin and Sylvester episodes before PBS stopped airing them altogether, that was pretty much all I had to tide myself over until McGann and eventually Eccleston.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: how or who did you get into who?   Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:14 am

Seams like most of us got a start on PBS stations. So, how many of us donated money during pledge drives? My station always had some special gift for pledging, magazine, calender, posters etc. They said Doctor Who viewers were the most generous during drive time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: how or who did you get into who?   Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:45 am

my best childhood friend was from england. his father knew it was on pbs and told me to watch it. i started watching right at the begining with robot. i was in the 5th grade so i was about ten. i was hooked. i made my mom knite me a scarf and ive been toms doc almost every year for halloween since. doctor who the secret hand shake of the science fiction world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: how or who did you get into who?   Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:56 am

I was bored and turned onto BBC1 and caught the end of Doomsday. And then I just watch re-runs of Series 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: how or who did you get into who?   Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:50 pm

All my life I was turning on PBS and coming partway into a story. Never had a clue what was happening, but it was always happening to Tom Baker. It never hooked me.

Then one night when I lived in Seattle I turned on the local PBS station and saw Doctor Who was about to start. For the first time ever I was about to the see the beginning of a story... and not just any story, An Unearthly Child. That was the beginning of that station playing every existing storyline in order.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: how or who did you get into who?   Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:08 pm

For me, it just fell onto me one Saturday late morning in the late 70s (now that's showing my age) it was airing on a PBS station. It was the Robots of Death (a good eppie to kick off my devotion of the show). Ever since then I caught it wherever I could (at the time I think it aired on two stations - NJN and WLIW which is no more). I also remember that NJN was big into it and Eric Luskin was always in specials about the show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

how or who did you get into who?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: