Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

No more classic Doctor Who in Iowa. :-(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CJSchmidt

Number of posts: 618
Registration date: 2007-02-01

PostSubject: No more classic Doctor Who in Iowa. :-(   Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:00 am

Just got back from answering phones at the IPTV telethon (one of the only PBS stations that has kept Who on the air since the 70s).

They announced that after tonight (or maybe after the current series) IPTV would no longer be airing classic episodes.

I can tell you that we had a number of call-ins who were very upset.

Sad. :-(

Last edited by CJSchmidt on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts: 1306
Registration date: 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: No more classic Doctor Who in Iowa. :-(   Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:10 pm

being near chicago-our pbs station had dw as a staple on sunday nights at 11...for over 20 plus years. When i got wind of the cancellation, I bought a load of vhs tapes and recorded the lot- they showed from hartnell to mccoy- the greatest show in the galaxy was the last one they aired on sunday night. The sunday tradition since I was 8 was gone. Not only did they have doctor who but they had monty python at 10, dave allen at 10:30 and dw then the two ronnies followed by image union. They bought the rights to series 3 and have shown 1 and 2 quite alot but sadly no classics- instead yanni and the 14th reshow of celtic women...sigh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: No more classic Doctor Who in Iowa. :-(   Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:27 pm

Lets not forget that idiotic chicago tour show EVERY pledge drive now Greeny!

When we moved back here, I saw Doctor Who on a couple of sunday mornings. They had The Invasion of Time on.

I was on WTTW 11 in 1988. I attended the special evening of Master programming and answered phones. It was pretty cool. I was on air a lot that night and friends taped it, now I have it on DVD. We were told about how much the show was costing the PBS broadcasters from Lionheart. They got greedy and priced the show off the air.

I first saw who in Kansas right after the twilight zone from KPTS channel 8.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt

PostSubject: Re: No more classic Doctor Who in Iowa. :-(   Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:59 pm

I wonder if the BBC/Lionheart wanted their PBS contracts to end so they could work out something similar to the new series - sell it to scifi as late night fodder, run best-ofs on BBC America, and come back to PBS with new deals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

Number of posts: 2106
Registration date: 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: No more classic Doctor Who in Iowa. :-(   Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:02 pm

sad. i haven't seen who on pbs since i lived in california. even then, they stopped showing it a couple of years before i moved. i still have all my old vhs tapes, some off of pbs, some i bought. i need to start growing my dvd collection of classics, but i was hoping at some point they would have seasons/series of each doctor to buy, instead of getting each story separately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts: 1622
Registration date: 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Re: No more classic Doctor Who in Iowa. :-(   Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:29 am

Like Hoosier Whovian, I discovered classic DW on KPTS Channel 8 out of Wichita, KS around '81 or '82. The program director there was a legitimate sci-fi fan, and he championed a TON of classic sci-fi programming on that station! By the time they stopped showing classic DW in the mid-90s, they'd showed every surviving episode of every Doctor. In addition, they'd shown the entirety of Space: 1999, Blake's 7, UFO, classic Star Trek (at a time when you couldn't see it in syndication in its unedited form), The Tripods, and a bunch of other stuff over the years.

It's sad that so few PBS stations are showing classic DW now. It used to be that when I would travel (something I've never much enjoyed), I could always count on finding the local PBS station and catching some DW, which felt familiar and helped alleviate some of those travel anxieties. Of course, the trade-off is that now I can just take DVDs with me. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: No more classic Doctor Who in Iowa. :-(   Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:21 am

i hate to say it, but sort of like video killed the radio star, i think dvd has killed reruns on shows we used to love. i really can't find any of the shows i used to watch being played on any channel on tv, but i can find them on dvd.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJSchmidt

PostSubject: Re: No more classic Doctor Who in Iowa. :-(   Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:26 am

@bret_owen99

That really seems to be true. You'd think with 200+ channels running 24 hours a day you really should be able to find almost any decent show produced in the last 20 years running somewhere...

I don't think it would be as annoying if Doctor Who DVDs weren't so overpriced. I know it's apples and oranges, but it's really hard walk through Best Buy and see 29.99 for 100 minutes of 1970s Doctor Who when you could spend 17.99 for 1000 minutes of Buffy or whatever season one box set is on sale that week. Doctor Who combines the cult scifi tax, the BBC dvd tax, and the limited release/interest tax into the a DVD price gouging trifecta. Even the digitally distributed formats (iTunes) end up being pricey when you sell each part for 1.99.

They either need to get Doctor Who back on TV (to create more fans who buy those overpriced DVDs) or drop the prices on the DVDs to reach more of the existing fan base. Expensive AND obscure has a very a very small saturation point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: No more classic Doctor Who in Iowa. :-(   Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:41 am

You got that right CJ! Most shows, especially the new Galactica is one where you get more on the DVD release than the broadcast version.

Drop the cable or satellite service and save the money for the DVD releases. If the cable wasnt free where I live I wouldnt have it. The cost of it just isnt worth it.

The best thing for them to do with the Who DVD's price wise is to keep selling them in special box sets. The Trial of a Timelord and the Key To Time are great deals compared to what the discs cost individually.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad

Number of posts: 1622
Registration date: 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Re: No more classic Doctor Who in Iowa. :-(   Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:07 pm

100% agreed re: the prices on classic DW being far too high. There are some great special features assembled for many of the recent DVD releases, but that sort of thing creates value only for the already-hardcore fan...it means little to nothing when you're just testing the waters. For example, The Invasion is a terrific DVD with tons of specials, but it costs nearly double what the average new release DVD costs. That's no way to get the modern DW fan to sample the classic series.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Dalek Prototype

Number of posts: 188
Registration date: 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: No more classic Doctor Who in Iowa. :-(   Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:48 pm

One might hope that a network such as Sci-Fi might use classic "Who" as overnight filler from time to time while the current show is in hiatus. Alas, hope rarely equals results.

I don't remember the last time I've seen classic "Who" on a PBS station on the American north east Coast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: No more classic Doctor Who in Iowa. :-(   Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:46 pm

you know, i've been thinking about it, and as much as i'd like to complain with the rest of you, i don't think i will. i used to pay 20 dollars for vhs tapes, that had no special features, and weren't that great of quality. not to mention that when i used to buy red dwarf tapes, they only had a couple of episodes on them, not the whole season, for 20 dollars. classic who is expensive, but so is classic star trek. these companies know that the diehard fan will pay the money to have them, so they charge what is reasonable. sure, i'd like to doctor who dvd's to be like 10 dollars a story, but i don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. on the same note, i never buy any dvd when they first come out, who or otherwise. a new special edition seems to come out 6 months to a year later, for the same price, and the person who bought the dvd when it first came out is s.o.l.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

No more classic Doctor Who in Iowa. :-(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum ::  :: -