Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

11th Doctor to be announced...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:11 pm

Green K-9's got a crush! Greenies got a crush! nya nya nya, nya nya nya! geek

I remember how people were all freaked out about Michael Keaton becoming the first Batman in the late 80's. The world didnt end and all was good, at least until Val Kilmer took over LOL!

I still wanted Hugh Bonneville, so I am not happy just because of that. geek
Back to top Go down
Doctors_Daughter

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Sadly, I do realize it's all about the audience share. If they think the largest share lies in the kiddies then they will cater to them. Sigh!

And yes, I suppose for the kid's sake and perhaps to get the Doctor back to being a bit more in form, the romantic aspect needs to be played down.

But I just don't see how this new Doctor can do the role justice. The comment that was made earlier in the post about the Doctor and his daughter being almost brother and sister because of the ages is spot on.

Granted Doctor Who has it's share of fun but I think with such a young Doctor it borderlines on the ridiculous. I'm really going to have a hard time taking him seriously and so would any of the villians if there was a speck of reality to this.

I fear to catch their target audience they are going to lose the core that has carried the torch for so long.

I will give him a chance. I have to. I have loved and followed this show for too long, but I don't think he has a chance at pulling off the role. It's just beyond him.

Maggie the Tardis Kitten aka Doctor's Daughter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mumbojumbo21

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:52 pm

CrotchetOwl wrote:
I'm dreading #12 now - will it be a teenager to play him when the time comes. The way I saw it, SJA is for the youngsters while Torchwood was for the adults (but each series is being toned down for mainstream).
You're assuming the reason they chose him was his age which was not the case.

From the BBC article: Click Here

Quote :
Piers Wenger, head of drama at BBC Wales, said that as soon as he had seen Smith's audition he "knew he was the one".

"It was abundantly clear that he had that 'Doctor-ness' about him," he said. "You are either the Doctor or you are not. It's just the beginning of the journey for Matt.

"With Steven Moffat's scripts and the expertise of the production team in Cardiff behind him, there is no one more perfect to be taking the Tardis to exciting new futures when the series returns in 2010."

Wenger said a broad range of people had been auditioned, but they had not set out to cast the youngest Doctor.

Bolded mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.libriumarcana.com/phpBB2/
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1815
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:12 pm

They should pair him up with older companions (hopefully an alien who isn't besotted with him) for constrast. Maybe he could wear a Rip Van Winkle beard for courting River?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:27 pm

Hoosier Whovian wrote:
Green K-9's got a crush! Greenies got a crush! nya nya nya, nya nya nya! geek

I remember how people were all freaked out about Michael Keaton becoming the first Batman in the late 80's. The world didnt end and all was good, at least until Val Kilmer took over LOL!

I still wanted Hugh Bonneville, so I am not happy just because of that. geek

Hoosier-Batman- er Val Kilmer- How about George Clooney- whatever happened to that guy?

As for a crush- David anyday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:45 pm

I had to pick between the two so there! Laughing
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:24 am

ok, people, here's my two cents/rant. i have seen mr. smith act(in diary of a call girl with billie piper). he is a good actor. the fact that he is young doesn't bother me, but what does bother me is what they will have his doctor act like. peter davison(at the time) was the youngest actor to be cast as the doctor. although i loved his performances, i always thought they tried to make his doctor too serious(so that his age wasn't an issue).
i beleive that is what they are going to do with mr. smith. make his doctor stern and serious, no goofiness or manic fits(like tenant, who pulled off both brilliantly). they will make all his stories dark and serious(that's what moffat does best). what i'm trying to say, is that everything around him could ruin it for this doctor, not the actor's ability(like poor colin).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:47 am

I was always a big Davison fan (he was the first Doctor I ever saw). I'd even go so far as to say that he's my favorite tied with or just slightly behind David, which is odd, because like you say, they are almost completely opposite personalities. I agree Peter was very serious but also had a subtle oddness about him. Not as eccentric as Dr's 3 or 4 but still a kind of otherworldly presence to him.

If Smith goes the Davison route (with his own flavor of course) I don't think that would necessarily be a bad thing. As much as I loved every bit of David's ticks, energy and mania (OH YES!), you certainly don't want a Tennant clone occupying the role. (Hey, maybe they grew one out of his hand? lol)

I still would have preferred an older actor to succeed Tennant and apparently Moffat did too. So Smith must have pulled off something pretty special to make him change his mind, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

Number of posts : 2725
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:58 pm

From another point of view, when Marvel Comics had Iron Man possessed (before Heroes Reborn came about), The Avengers went back in time and brought a teenage Tony Stark in as the new Iron Man. That (and the new Blue Beetle) didn't work out.

We shall see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:21 am

well tennant acted older than his age... oh heck it's moffat at the helm- stop worrying we have one whole year left.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1815
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:21 am

He's reverse aging like Merlin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
amagon

Number of posts : 2725
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:15 pm

Total Benjamin Buttons (and Mork)!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattix

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:08 am

LOVE THE HAIR!!

but I really hope he goes for some WILD clothing style like peter davison or colin baker. That get up he's got going in the picture above seems as boring as Tennants was.

Moffat also said that he's got some sort of bohemian style in his portrayal.

I dont know what ya all whinging about, he sounds really fresh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:44 am

yes, because i'm sure if there's anything that helped colin baker, it was his WILD clothing. sorry, had to do that. as far as his get up, i do think there should be a little more than just black. we got that with eccleston.

every doctor is "fresh", in some way or another. troughton was funny as opposed to hartnell's serious. pertwee was adventurous. tom was a space hippie. peter was a preppy(one that you wouldn't want to hurt). colin never had a chance to show that his serious take on the doctor could have been as good as hartnell's. mccoy was mysterious. mcgann was romantic. eccleston was tormented. tennant was manic. who knows what smith will be. i would like either serious or mysterious again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattix

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:28 am

Lol well thats because Colin Baker's wasnt just WILD it was Tasteless!

I see what ya mean by all the doctors being fresh. But doesnt that just support the fact that this guy could be really good? I mean, bringing in a fresh take worked for everyone else, why wont it work for Smith?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: 11th Doctor to be announced...   Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:03 pm

well, every doctor has the possibility to be good, but not all of them turn out that way. colin baker had the unfortunate distinction of being the doctor who not only got the series cancelled, but when it was brought back, it was without him. he was a good actor, he just didn't have good writers to help him(and the suit didn't help either).

mccoy was good, but in the last couple of seasons, during the cartmel era. i think if he had kept being funny, and not mysterious, the show would have ended sooner than it did. eccleston was good, but only being on for one season didn't really give him enough time to flesh out his character, and most people forget he was even the doctor. mcgann was great, even though the writing for the tv movie was poor, and he only got one on screen role(i do like his audio stories, though).

i can't say smith will be good or bad. that's up to him and the writer's/producers. the thing about doctor who is, if he is bad, and it shows in the ratings(etc.), they can write him out like they did poor colin, and just have someone else wake up after a regeneration.

this kid could last a year, or several years. i remember colin baker saying he wanted to take a shot at tom baker's record for on-screen time, but all he got was 2 years. i think mccoy could have done the show for a couple of more seasons, but the show got cancelled.

if matt smith doesn't do a good job, it won't be the end of the current run, but it will be the end of his run. but i also think if he fails, they'll blame it on moffat, so he's got a lot riding on this kid as well. i wish them both luck, but sometimes even the best laid plans.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whovian

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Matt Smith   Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm new to this forum, and I'm glad I came across this thread. I wanted to share my opinion of Matt Smith.

It is very VERY important that he play a serious Doctor. It took me a long time to get used to Tennant's Doctor because it appeared that he clowned around too much...and worse, in a youthful way.

I happened to like Peter Davison's Doctor. I liked his seriousness. It helped to focus more on the stories. You don't want a Doctor constantly popping out from behind the curtains screaming "Ta Daaa!!!" do you? That gets annoying quick.

So, yeah...Matt Smith had better play a serious Doctor. I don't even want to see too many smiles. We can go back to goofy with the next regeneration. But for now, in order to save the series as a whole, we need a non-comical Doctor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

11th Doctor to be announced...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: