Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:38 pm

You knew it was gonna happen eventually, but I was hoping it would be AFTER series 5. I'm bummed.

This was posted on gallifreyone.com today...

Quote :
David Tennant will be leaving Doctor Who at the conclusion of the 2009 specials, the actor announced live on stage this evening at the National Television Awards.

The Guardian newspaper this evening broke the story prematurely, reporting on their website (in a report subsequently pulled down) that Tennant is "vacating the TARDIS and leaving the BBC's Doctor Who series at the end of next year. Tennant's decision brings to an end his popular four-year tenure as the time lord." The article went on to say that the BBC had confirmed that the actor "would complete the filming of four special episodes to be screened this year and in early 2010, as well as 2009's Christmas special."

The BBC Doctor Who website has now posted the full news: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who. I have loved every day of it," the actor says. "It would be very easy to cling on to the TARDIS console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. ... I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git - whoever that may be." Tennant added that he "always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me. Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010." He furthermore says that he feels "very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor." Says Russell T Davies, "I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years - and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left! After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano. But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

More details soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mumbojumbo21

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:53 pm

BBC
Quote :
David Tennant quits as Doctor Who

David Tennant is to stand down as Doctor Who, after becoming one of the most popular Time Lords in the history of the BBC science fiction show.

Tennant stepped into the Tardis in 2005, and will leave the role after four special episodes are broadcast next year.

He made the announcement after winning the outstanding drama performance prize at the National Television Awards.

"When Doctor Who returns in 2010 it won't be with me," he said.

"Now don't make me cry," he added.

"I love this part, and I love this show so much that if I don't take a deep breath and move on now I never will, and you'll be wheeling me out of the Tardis in my bath chair."

Three years was "about the right time" to play the role, he told the BBC.

"I think it's better to go when there's a chance that people might miss you, rather than to hang around and outstay your welcome," he said.

His stint in the show had been "the most extraordinary time, it's been bewildering, life changing, very exciting", he said.

"And just so much fun, such a great show to work on.

"That's one of the reasons I think it's right to take a deep breath and bow out when it's still fun, when it's a novelty.

"I don't ever want it to feel like a job, so I want to move on when it still feels exciting and fresh and that means I'll miss it."

Drama award

Tennant, the 10th actor to play the Doctor Who, left fans guessing about his return at the end of the latest series.

In the last episode, in July, the Doctor had to defeat his enemies the Daleks to save the universe.

Almost 10 million people watched as the Time Lord apparently started the process of regeneration - but did not complete it.

Tennant will appear in a Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, before filming four more specials in January.

"They'll be the four last stories that I do," he said.

In a sign of his popularity, he was voted best drama performer in a public vote at the National Television Awards.

He has been named most popular actor at the same ceremony for the past two years. That prize has been discontinued this year.

An average of 8.1 million people a week watched the latest series - the fourth since it made a comeback in 2005 - in its Saturday evening slot on BBC One.

'Spectacular' exit

Mr Davies, executive producer, said: "I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years - and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano. But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching."

A fifth series of the show is scheduled for 2010.

Tennant replaced Christopher Eccleston, who resurrected the show after a 16-year break.

Tennant made his name in TV dramas such as Blackpool and Casanova.

He started his career in theatre and in recent months has returned to the stage with well-received performances in Hamlet and Love's Labour's Lost for the Royal Shakespeare Company.

In December last year, Tennant denied rumours that he was planning to quit after Catherine Tate - his new companion in the Tardis - told the Jonathan Ross radio show she thought the next series of Doctor Who would be Tennant's last.

He said at the time: "Catherine Tate stitched me up good and proper. She goes on Jonathan Ross and makes up a load of old nonsense."

Now the wondering of who is next begins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.libriumarcana.com/phpBB2/
pixletwin

Number of posts : 2669
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:57 pm

Marc Warren or Sean Pertwee I hope.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:22 pm

[quote="pixletwin"rSean Pertwee I hope.[/quote]
Now that would be cool! Now all of these "New Who" fans can find out how exciting it is to have a new Doctor take over! Still remember trying to figure out what happened to Tom Baker at the end of Logopolis.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
captkirk42

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:12 am

Ronpur wrote:
pixletwin wrote:
Sean Pertwee I hope.
Now that would be cool! Now all of these "New Who" fans can find out how exciting it is to have a new Doctor take over! Still remember trying to figure out what happened to Tom Baker at the end of Logopolis.

Then you found out that he fall down and go BOOM affraid or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://klandersen.com
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:38 am

Paul McGann gets my vote.

Precedent has already been set in Doctor Who lore that a Timelord can choose his body or appearance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

Number of posts : 2725
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:58 am

Ronpur wrote:
[quote="pixletwin"rSean Pertwee I hope.
Now that would be cool! Now all of these "New Who" fans can find out how exciting it is to have a new Doctor take over! Still remember trying to figure out what happened to Tom Baker at the end of Logopolis.[/quote]

scratch Didn't most all ready did, as we went from The 9th to The 10th?

bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:18 am

I am very sad- but suspected this after Davies and Gardner and Collinson and Liggat left. There seemed to be such a mass exodis leading to the new moffat era. As always I am scared when a new doctor comes along- usually hate at first then they grow on me. I remember being really upset at logopolis then we got davidson- I was like who is this young git he is not my doctor...now I love em like I've loved them all... I would love for tennant to stay on but I understand he does not want to outstay his welcome. Leave on a good note- darn wanted to see a little of him in the moffat era.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:08 pm

I was kind of hoping DT would stay for one more full year but since many of the bigwigs have moved on (behind the scenes) I wasn't really too surprised. Whoever takes over will have an extremely tough act to follow.

Would be nice to see Paul McGann in the role again (how about instead of moving forward they make up for the lost series for #8 - he deserved a chance on air that was better than the waterdowned mess the States production did). Richard Coyle would be my vote. Liked him in the series Strange and a couple of other things he did. The thing that has to be remembered is that whoever they select should be willing to stay 2-3 years and not have the attitude CE had in the video interviews (e.g., technical he did 2 series - 6 being a standard series for a show - and that was enough for him).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:05 pm

amagon wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
[quote="pixletwin"rSean Pertwee I hope.

scratch Didn't most all ready did, as we went from The 9th to The 10th?

bounce[/quote]
Yes, but for some reason, they seam to have forgotten that 9th ever existed! but, heck, they are 8 to 12 now, so 10 has been their Doctor most of their lives! Not some 45 year old like me who is on his 10th Doctor!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:06 pm

captkirk42 wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
pixletwin wrote:
Sean Pertwee I hope.

Then you found out that he fall down and go BOOM affraid or something.

Yes, but that whole "Watcher" thing really confused me!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:24 pm

now all i need now is chocolate to comfort me...sniff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:00 am

Target has a lot of it on sale.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:51 am

david tenant was great, but i knew this would come one day. he wants to be able to move onto other things, while he is still popular. now the million dollar question. who will replace him. when it was announced that ce wasn't coming back for another series, we were told that david tenant would be the replacement. will they wait a long time to tell us who he replacement is, so we will be on the edge of our seats the whole time, or just let it out of the bag before the new series(coninuation of the series) starts.

i have several strange votes, that i don't think are realistic, but i would like. one of my favorite actors is bill nighy, and i think he would make a terrific doctor, even at his age. rupert everett was the best sherlock holmes i had ever seen on screen, and i could almost see him playing the doctor like that. nathaniel parker is another great english actor who has proved so versatile on tv. keep in mind that i'm in america, and most of the actors i have mentioned i have had to watch on my local pbs(just like how i first got into doctor who)

i would place money on the fact that none of the people i named will be the new doctor. why? because when the show was being revived, and lots of names were floating around, one name was chosen: christopher eccleston. who? i had never heard of him, or seen him in anything. was he great? yes. then he left, and it was announced david tenant would replace him. who? i had not heard of him. i watched harry potter, and was almost scared that the new doctor would be a rat faced screamer. then i was able to see cassanova, and i was convinced that he would be great. some even say the greatest. i'm sure when they announce david tenant's successor, i'll be like, who? what? who? but i'm sure they'll be good too. doctor who is famous for more than just being a sci-fi show, it's a career maker. some already had a career when the came to the show, some just started, all of them, however, have and will always be remembered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:14 pm

Probably too late, but I changed the name of this thread to make it less spoilery. Though I don't know how anyone will make it a year without hearing about this. Sad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJSchmidt

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:39 pm

I guess it's better to hear from the man himself rather than some sleazy British tabloid, but I wonder why they didn't try to keep it a secret a little longer?

Maybe "The Next Doctor" isn't a red herring and we're about to get a preview of things to come?

I hope the specials take place over a long period of time - imply that he had lots of adventures, romanced River, and is ready to move on, rather than something sudden and tragic.

This will also give Big Finish and novelists a logical place to do 10th Doctor stories someday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:22 pm

Mr. schmidt- I like your sugguestion about the Big Finish...unlike 9- I do think tennant would do some Big Finish productions and that will help some bereft fans have him at least in an audio form. I hate saying goodbye to the docs and big finish has allowed me to appreciate new facets of 5, 6, 7 and 8 docs.

As for a new doc...oh dear I probably sound shallow but I will not apologize for it- I want another hunk...o.k. not embarassed to say this...hey you fellas on this site lust and get all google eyed about leela and sarah so hey sorry to be blunt but the girl's want eye candy. Tennant was such but the plus side was that he could act his socks off. I really have a feeling we will know who the doctor is come around the summer next year. Moffat has suggested a more traditional grandfatherly doc so we might get an older doc- but in this day in age this might not be a wise choice due to the success of the modern take of the show...oooh am I ruffling a few feathers? Bottom line- old, new, girl, boy or penguin I will be watching- Moffat is the right fit to helm the show and whomever he chooses to be the tardis' pilot- time will tell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJSchmidt

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:36 pm

I think it's time for a different type of Doctor. Tennants wackiness is enjoyable, but I'm afraid if a precedent isn't set now the character will just escalate into human cartoon.

I'd like to see someone like Anthony Head take on the role. A slightly more adventurous Giles from Buffy would open all kinds of doors to the series. He's handsome, but old enough that having a man and woman companion wouldn't be awkward. He may be a little to old and soft now, but I think the character traits would be appropriate.

I may set up a "Who should be the next Doctor?" thread in a week or two - we'll certainly have plenty of time to debate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]   Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:46 pm

I agree since we are switch the actor hopefully the new actor and writers can go with a different portrayal. Tennants wackiness/hyperactivity is great but it was kind of just an escalation of E's persona. I wouldn't mind a more pensive/brooding/maybe with an off beat sense of humor. Also, I don't think that based on their target audience' going with an older actor is not the best way to go. Granted 3 did the james bond running around but seriously kids, i don't think want to role play as an smart old guy. Merch-wise they are better sticking with a very active actor. Now no one jump my case, I understand age does not equal activity I'm just saying view it from a child's perspective. Now if they would go down the obiwan wisened schtick then I think a lot will depend on the companion(s) having to pull the weight action-wise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Update on Who after 09 Specials [SPOILERS]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: