Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Blue Ray Versions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Blue Ray Versions   Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:30 pm

As the DVDs come out I have been throwing to much of my money at the releases.
So it occurred to me that eventually these titles will most likely come out in Blue Ray format.

When, and if the Doctor Who titles come out on Blue Ray discs, would it be worth it?

The older stories from the 60's, 70's, and 80's were not made with the idea of such a high quality format as Blue Ray.
Even the recent stories from this decade with Eccleston and Tennant (so far), are also not made in High Def.
Would releasing such stories, older ones especially, on Blue Ray actually improve the quality of the video?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Blue Ray Versions   Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:22 pm

I think it's been said it's highly unlikely they'll come out on Blue Ray any time soon. They are the best they can look on DVD right now. I think, maybe one day if the DVD is totally abandoned as a format, they might release season sets on Blue Ray.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Blue Ray Versions   Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:30 pm

But would there be a quality improvement being on Blue Ray for such an old show?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623

PostSubject: Re: Blue Ray Versions   Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:57 pm

No, that's what I was saying. The best they can look is how they look now on DVD. Being on Blu-Ray would do nothing except allow more info to fit on a disc. But it'd be useful if DVD's are ever abandoned as a format.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618

PostSubject: Re: Blue Ray Versions   Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:56 pm

To follow up jonwes - Doctor Who is not filmed in HD & RTD has stated that it won't be on his watch (apparently Torchwood had lots of problems going HD). The additional detail that goes into prepping new sets for every episode would increase costs substantially or force the show to film in "real-world" locations most of the time. CG also gets exponentially more expensive. Since the quality wouldn't improve and all Bluray players are backwards compatible, I'd go ahead and keep buying the DVDs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Blue Ray Versions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: