Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 
 

 Worst Episode Ever!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Tue May 04, 2010 1:23 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
midnight is actually a big favorite of mine(love creepy thrillers). if i had to pick one new series one, it would be 42. i always have to watch it in parts, because i always fall asleep.

if i had to pick an old series one, it would be revelation of the daleks. that was just the worst dalek story ever! not a big fan of eric saward.

For once I agree with you. Revelation was terrible, I never actually finished watching the episode, it was that boring.

Although, I kinda like 42. I say 'kinda' because I haven't seen it in ages. I don't think I've seen it since its broadcast, now I think about it. It was alright from what I can remember though.
Back to top Go down
Vicki
RANK: UNIT Sergeant


Number of posts : 148
Age : 53
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Tue May 04, 2010 1:30 pm

denali76c wrote:
wow i'm the only person who liked midnight..and i didn't just like it i really liked it. i also enjoyed donna as a companion. tate and tennant played well off each other. it was really fun watching them.

I absolutely LOVED Midnight! It may even be my favorite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
Invisible Supreme
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Tue May 04, 2010 4:56 pm

To be honest, that story really creeped me out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wes Crayon
RANK: Prime Minister


Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Wed May 05, 2010 5:25 am

Midnight was a bunch of hateful people yelling at each other in close quarters for 40 minutes. I HATE that episode. But for those of you who liked it, you might also like Flightplan starring Jodie Foster! Worst Hollywood production I've ever seen.

42 was horrible too, not the least bit because it was ripped almost wholesale from those Ood/Satan episodes.

Which were also terrible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
bret_owen99
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 2106
Age : 40
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Wed May 05, 2010 8:47 am

wes crayon, i usually agree with you on some things, but comparing midnight to flight plan, that's just mean!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1653
Age : 44
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Wed May 05, 2010 10:22 am

I too thought Midnight was quite cool...there's just something wonderfully dramatic about a single-set theater production.

And Flightplan, like virtually everything Jodie Foster has done since The Silence of the Lambs, was not worth watching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Wed May 05, 2010 3:44 pm

For everyone who dislikes an episode/movie, there will always be someone who likes it.

Like, I didn't LOVE "Flightplan" but I thought it was decent. Weird, but still enjoyable. I also loved Jodi Foster in "Nim's Island" and "Anna and the King". She was great in "Silence of the Lambs" though. Very Happy
~
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1653
Age : 44
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Wed May 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Ah, I'd forgotten Anna and the King...she was good in that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Wed May 05, 2010 5:07 pm

mysterylad wrote:
Ah, I'd forgotten Anna and the King...she was good in that.

Have you seen "Nim's Island"? She's good in that. It's a story that I can relate to in many ways, especially being a writer. Very Happy

And, I can't help but love the animals that are in it, especially Fred, the little cutest little lizard!
~
Back to top Go down
Redfern
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1203
Age : 54
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Wed May 05, 2010 5:12 pm

I liked "Midnight" because the feelings of mutual suspicion among the passengers reminded me of the classic Twilight Zone episode "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street". In the latter, the neighbors of Maple Street and the surrounding neighborhood experince a power outage after they see a strange light in the sky. Speculation abounds as to the cause and in the cynical Cold War atmosphere of 1960, the rationale is that it must be "aliens". Then the people start wondering of the others, "Just what were you doing, huh? Why were you outside at that moment? Maybe you're in cahoots with 'them'! Maybe you ARE one of 'them'!!!" I particularly have fond memories of that segment because it was actually a classroom project one day during my 6th grade. Each of us were assigned a role and we read our parts from the lesson book. I had the role of the guy being accused of cavorting with the "Martians". And while I may have stumbled over a few of my lines, I can say without arrogance I put a lot more heart into my performance than some of my classmates. In fact, I got so "passionate" as my character tried to explain his behavior, that my history teacher (a strict, fear inducing matron) heard me at the other end of the building! Rarely one to say anything nice to the students, she actually praised my "acting"!

So, yeah, I like "Midnight". Very Happy

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mzzkiti.com
mysterylad
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1653
Age : 44
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Wed May 05, 2010 5:14 pm

That is one of my all-time favorite Twilight Zone episodes: a brilliant dissection of Cold War paranoia through the lens of "alien invasion." Classic..
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Vicki
RANK: UNIT Sergeant


Number of posts : 148
Age : 53
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Thu May 06, 2010 1:22 am

Redfern wrote:
I liked "Midnight" because the feelings of mutual suspicion among the passengers reminded me of the classic Twilight Zone episode "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street". In the latter, the neighbors of Maple Street and the surrounding neighborhood experince a power outage after they see a strange light in the sky. Speculation abounds as to the cause and in the cynical Cold War atmosphere of 1960, the rationale is that it must be "aliens". Then the people start wondering of the others, "Just what were you doing, huh? Why were you outside at that moment? Maybe you're in cahoots with 'them'! Maybe you ARE one of 'them'!!!" I particularly have fond memories of that segment because it was actually a classroom project one day during my 6th grade. Each of us were assigned a role and we read our parts from the lesson book. I had the role of the guy being accused of cavorting with the "Martians". And while I may have stumbled over a few of my lines, I can say without arrogance I put a lot more heart into my performance than some of my classmates. In fact, I got so "passionate" as my character tried to explain his behavior, that my history teacher (a strict, fear inducing matron) heard me at the other end of the building! Rarely one to say anything nice to the students, she actually praised my "acting"!

So, yeah, I like "Midnight". Very Happy

Sincerely,

Bill

I'd forgotten about that particular TZ episode, but Midnight reminded me of something you might see on that classic series, and that's one reason I like it so much!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Thu May 06, 2010 3:00 am

With apologies to the Malcolm fanbase...

How people can be hatin' on "Midnight" when we've got a perfectly lousy "Planet of the Dead" to detest is beyond my comprehension. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Thu May 06, 2010 3:46 am

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
With apologies to the Malcolm fanbase...

How people can be hatin' on "Midnight" when we've got a perfectly lousy "Planet of the Dead" to detest is beyond my comprehension. scratch

To detest beyond comprehension?

Ahhhh Sad

I liked the idea of it though and Malcolm was just hilarious and adorable.
~
Back to top Go down
Vicki
RANK: UNIT Sergeant


Number of posts : 148
Age : 53
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Thu May 06, 2010 6:57 am

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
With apologies to the Malcolm fanbase...

How people can be hatin' on "Midnight" when we've got a perfectly lousy "Planet of the Dead" to detest is beyond my comprehension. scratch

To detest beyond comprehension?

Ahhhh Sad

I liked the idea of it though and Malcolm was just hilarious and adorable.
~

Although I honestly didn't hate any of the specials, and I love Malcolm too, I've gotta admit that Planet of the Dead was probably my least favorite... Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
bret_owen99
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 2106
Age : 40
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Thu May 06, 2010 8:33 am

ok, if we're going to dog on one of the specials, it would have to be the next doctor for me. i mean, the cybermen were a joke, the next doctor was a buffoon(not the actor, but the character he played). i won't even get into the whole cyberking thing(i read a website that compared it to the beasy boys video "intergalactic", which is the funniest thing i've ever read).

i liked planet of the dead. the "fly" aliens were great "old-school" aliens. the flying stingrays, how do you fight something like that? great episode, and great comic relief by malcolm. just like i'm saddened that they haven't brought back jenny(yet), i'm sad they haven't brought back malcolm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
terrasolo
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1478
Age : 41
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Thu May 06, 2010 8:56 am

I thought the next Doctor was great fun, the Cyberking was a bit OTT but otherwise cool. And I feel that David Morressy was a missed opportunity to play the real Doctor. Matt Smith is great so i am not saying we got a bad choice, just saying that we saw David in the role in the wrong light. He would have done a bang up job as the Doctor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kasterborous.com
artanyus
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1513
Age : 34
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Thu May 06, 2010 9:07 am

terrasolo wrote:
I thought the next Doctor was great fun, the Cyberking was a bit OTT but otherwise cool. And I feel that David Morressy was a missed opportunity to play the real Doctor. Matt Smith is great so i am not saying we got a bad choice, just saying that we saw David in the role in the wrong light. He would have done a bang up job as the Doctor.

I cannot agree more. I feel like David Morrissey would have been a great choice for the Doctor. As such, in our own personal fanon A1 and I have him representing the 12th incarnation of the Doctor. Hopefully he gets the opportunity to reprise the role and actually play the Doctor in a future regeneration.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Redfern
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1203
Age : 54
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Thu May 06, 2010 9:21 am

And since Romana was able to pattern her regeneration after someone she met, Princess Astra, why not the Doctor, even if by accident?

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mzzkiti.com
Ronpur
RANK: The Doctor


Number of posts : 9510
Age : 53
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Thu May 06, 2010 9:22 am

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
With apologies to the Malcolm fanbase...

How people can be hatin' on "Midnight" when we've got a perfectly lousy "Planet of the Dead" to detest is beyond my comprehension. scratch

I think there are some people who dislike Malcolm because they know they would act like that if the met the Doctor.

Of course, I wouldn't.

I would if I met Lady Christina.

The Planet of the Dead just wasn't "special" to me. Not big enough, just another story. Same reason I am disappointed by certain Star Trek movies, when they are just another TV episode, not a "Big Event" that should be a movie or special.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Redfern
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1203
Age : 54
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Thu May 06, 2010 9:29 am

That's actually what I liked about Malcolm, he was our collective inner fanboy unleashed. But unlike the character "Fanboy" in a couple of Freakazoid episodes (a Warner Bros. cartoon spoofing the superhero genre), Malcolm proved himself a capable individual. Shoot, he even left the Doctor "gob smacked" once or twice.

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mzzkiti.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Thu May 06, 2010 2:22 pm

Redfern wrote:
That's actually what I liked about Malcolm, he was our collective inner fanboy unleashed. But unlike the character "Fanboy" in a couple of Freakazoid episodes (a Warner Bros. cartoon spoofing the superhero genre), Malcolm proved himself a capable individual. Shoot, he even left the Doctor "gob smacked" once or twice.

Sincerely,

Bill

That's what I loved about Malcolm! He just wasn't some crazy fan who messed things up more than helped. He wasn't a complete idiot and wound up helping to save the day! Heck, if it wasn't for Malcolm, they wouldn't have been able to close the wormhole and the world would have been in a lot of trouble!

Plus, the way I saw the hug was that the Doctor tends to give people random hugs. Like he'll be so proud of humanity for something and hug a human. Well, in this it was his turn to get a random hug from someone who was just so appreciative of everything that the Doctor had done. I absolutely loved that.

I also loved "The Next Doctor" because I am also a fan of David Morrissey and I was so hoping that he would be the next Doctor. I felt that as a Doctor, his character was definitely spot-on in the beginning, but as he started talking about what happened, it seemed like an either very old incarnation or something a bit depressing than what we're normally used to.

That said... I still loved the episode. I'm not a huge fan of the Cybermen and I think the Cyberking reduced me to a fit of giggles on several occasions, but David Tennant and David Morrissey working together was one of the most awesome things I had seen. So as with what Artanyus said, yeah, in our little fanon, we have him as our 12th incarnation of the Doctor. I sort of uh, skip 11 and go straight to 12.

At the risk of having things thrown at me... the worst episode for me thus far, including the classics that I have seen, is definitely "The Eleventh Hour". I could not get into it. I did not like Matt Smith, I did not like Amy Pond. I did not like Rory... I did not like any part of that episode except the music. To follow that episode in the worst category was "Victory of the Daleks" for the simple fact that it just about made me hate the 11th Doctor and want nothing to do with the new show. But by that time, I had grown to really like Amy and well, Spitfires in space just got my "Sky Captain" geekiness out ...
~
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Fri May 07, 2010 2:41 am

mustangpilot, since you were the "Malcolm fanbase" I was referring to, let me absolve Malcolm of most of my dislike of "Planet of the Dead". While the performance is a bit over the top, such a thing is not unknown in "Doctor Who" and is acceptable.

And when he hugs the Doctor and screams "I love you!"...well, who among us wouldn't do exactly that if we could really meet the Doctor? It's there as fan wish fulfillment, and it's a cute touch.

But then he screams it again...and again...again!!! Blinkin' heck! And they're gonna let this guy close wormholes? Get a grip man!

Okay, sorry...that's honestly the only problem I have with Malcolm, and really it's more of a problem with UNIT. I'm a long-timer, see, and to me UNIT means the Brig. Now what would he do with a fella like that? I can't help but think it would include the words "five rounds rapid."

But I wouldn't be opposed to Malcolm coming back...an appearance on "The Sarah Jane Adventures" could be fun. Maybe he loves her too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Fri May 07, 2010 2:53 am

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
mustangpilot, since you were the "Malcolm fanbase" I was referring to, let me absolve Malcolm of most of my dislike of "Planet of the Dead". While the performance is a bit over the top, such a thing is not unknown in "Doctor Who" and is acceptable.

And when he hugs the Doctor and screams "I love you!"...well, who among us wouldn't do exactly that if we could really meet the Doctor? It's there as fan wish fulfillment, and it's a cute touch.

But then he screams it again...and again...again!!! Blinkin' heck! And they're gonna let this guy close wormholes? Get a grip man!

Okay, sorry...that's honestly the only problem I have with Malcolm, and really it's more of a problem with UNIT. I'm a long-timer, see, and to me UNIT means the Brig. Now what would he do with a fella like that? I can't help but think it would include the words "five rounds rapid."

But I wouldn't be opposed to Malcolm coming back...an appearance on "The Sarah Jane Adventures" could be fun. Maybe he loves her too.

But he didn't scream it, did he? The second and third time it was more of a whisper, in awe type thing... like he wanted to say something else, but couldn't. Like he wanted to tell him how the Doctor was his hero and how he was just so grateful for all the thing that the Doctor had done... but couldn't express it.

That's what it seemed like to me at least.

Plus... it's Lee Evans... I seriously LOVE his acting! He's so hilarious! But what's also great about him is that he can be completely serious in the roles that he's in. Like in "The History of Mr. Polly"... ahhh he can break the heart. He's just wonderful!

I feel silly, because in addition to painting my Daleks, I write fanfics. In my stories, Malcolm is the one who had the idea of being able to save a Dalek after coming very close to getting a Dalek to understand the meaning of "friendship" when the Dalek died to save him. He didn't create Skaro II, but he nurtured the Dalek and taught him what life was about. Then it was he who brought up little Gemini.

In my stories, he actually meets Sarah Jane and after a rocky start, they become really good friends. If Sarah Jane wasn't married, I would easily pair him and Sarah Jane in my stories. Also, he finds a very old and rusted K-9 on New Earth and repairs him. They are best friends. Very Happy
~
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Fri May 07, 2010 4:34 am

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
But he didn't scream it, did he? The second and third time it was more of a whisper, in awe type thing... like he wanted to say something else, but couldn't. Like he wanted to tell him how the Doctor was his hero and how he was just so grateful for all the thing that the Doctor had done... but couldn't express it.

You're probably right about the non-screaming now that I think of it. It's just that he kept saying it...I stand by my original comment of "Get a grip, man!" Wink

I agree with your interpretation of his comments. And Lee Evans certainly gave a more nuanced performance than Michelle Ryan did, that's for sure.

Did you say you feel silly for writing fanfics? Don't feel that way. We all do it to some extent. You're braver than most for actually posting your stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Worst Episode Ever!   Today at 3:49 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Worst Episode Ever!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: