Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

13 Lives

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: 13 Lives   Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:50 am

In the classic series, it has been mentioned that Timelords can only regenerate 12 times, their 13th life is their last. It hasn't been mentioned in the new series, I wonder how they'll over come the 13 lives, that's as long it is still on by the time the Doctor gets to his 13th life. I reckon he'll degenerate (I made that up! Razz) and go back to one of his earlier regenerations, like Paul McGann...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 13 Lives   Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:19 am

well i hope dr who never ends (but i know it has to one day)
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: 13 Lives   Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:00 am

Yeah, its a great show!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: 13 Lives   Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:16 pm

I'm sure he will live on past his quota regenerations- look how the master exhausted his and that ol' meanie just keeps coming back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dalek Thay

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: 13 Lives   Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:09 am

greenk9 wrote:
I'm sure he will live on past his quota regenerations- look how the master exhausted his and that ol' meanie just keeps coming back.

Didn't he already use up all of them years ago (4th Doc time!!) then steal a body, TV movie thing, get sucked into the Tardis? Then he was brought back.

Gosh, if the doctor can do all that, I'll be 70 before it ends!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

Number of posts : 2725
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: 13 Lives   Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:47 am

A friend of mine gave me this explanation:

The simplest solution is that all of this appears to be a reference to something mentioned in the novel, “Interference.” In that novel, we learn that while preparing for the Time War the Time Lord undertook a Hatching Project where they made clones of important Time Lords to serve as warriors in the War. It’s stated that the Master and the Rani were cloned but implied that there could have been many others. These clones appear to have had the original’s memories (otherwise they wouldn’t be much help).

I’d guess that the clones were created using some temporal duplication of biodata rather then traditional genetic growth.

For what it’s worth, the Faction Paradox stories imply this happened about 137 years before the Time War began – when the Time Lords first became aware that the War was coming.

Alternately, they might have removed the original Master from the singularity of the Doctor’s TARDIS in a manner similar to how the Doctor escaped a black hole in “The Three Doctors” on using temporal bonding (probably to the Doctor) like Omega used in “Arc of Infinity.”

Either solutions are possible but the use of the word ‘Resurrected’ combined with the explicit mention of the Time Lords making a Master clone to fight in the War in “Interference”, has me leaning on that solution and the most likely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

13 Lives
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: