Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

Silence in the Library

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Whofan

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Silence in the Library   Sat May 31, 2008 8:42 pm

That episode was great!
Spoiler:

Can't wait till saturday!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Sat May 31, 2008 10:00 pm

I read an article in DWM that Moffat said really pay attention to what River Song is saying...
She has a sonic...and she said he (the doc) gave it to her...
Donna seems to at one point be doomed as a companion- foreshadowing a death in the near future for her- or is river song a trickster? I do think Donna is going to get out of this episode even though it looks pretty bleak for her right now-I wish it was the Rani or Rommana but Moffat wants to lead you to guessing in this field tricky bugger that one. I will have a millions guesses by next week and I'm sure I will be wrong. Also there is the ood quote you're SONG will end soon. hmmm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whofan

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Sat May 31, 2008 11:30 pm

I Can't Wait:)Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:32 am

I've seen it and.... uh! Well, let's start of with good stuff: humour, River Song's personality, a reasonably good cliffhanger. Not a lot of action, I was really looking forward to it cos RTD said it was scarier than Blink, I didn't even flinch! It was also confusing. In my opinion, it was not a great ep (I would watch it again, though) and is one of the worst in the series!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:48 am

your right greenK9...maybe river song is his wife or even his daughter and maybe she dies!
Back to top Go down
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:51 am

greenk9 wrote:
I read an article in DWM that Moffat said really pay attention to what River Song is saying...
She has a sonic...and she said he (the doc) gave it to her...
Donna seems to at one point be doomed as a companion- foreshadowing a death in the near future for her- or is river song a trickster?

More than that...
1. She knows to contact him with psychic paper.
2.She knows he regenerates and based on her reactions to his appearance, she may have seen him do it more than once.
3.She is definitely in his future. At some point he even keeps a diary to compare with hers, so she must be more than a companion, especially since the diary would imply that he visits her at different points in her life, much like Madame de pompadour, instead of her travelling with him.
4.She knows of/who Donna is and apparently the fate that will befall her based on her look when Donna asked what happens to her in the future.
5.She has Jack's sonic gun, and a sonic screwdriver given to her by the Doctor.
6.She knows that program 1 will take a person home as part of the Tardis' emergency protocols.

There's a lot going on here, but does her close connection mean she's possibly a time lord without a Tardis? Again, I don't think so. As soon as Yana absorbed his true essence from the fob in Utopia, the Doctor instantly felt the presence of another time lord. So when Riversong appeared he should have had an instant reaction of feeling a time lord. She doesn't appear to be a time traveller as much as she does a person who is frequently visited by a time traveller. Still makes for an interesting amount of guess work as to when she first meets the doctor and which one she meets. 11, 12, 13...20??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:49 pm

Very good recap and observations gregtdj...my head is spinning with all of these unanswered questions.

I was very shocked at how poorly doctor who fared in the ratings...it was pitted against the popular reality show britain's got talent. 5.4 millions viewers altough not an official figure yet is bad...Eutovision hurt Who in the past-series 2 cyberman 2 parter suffered...but a Moffat episode? Just not happy with the early showing...an hour before prime time is not to wise of a move. Now that I am on a soapbox...I was annoyed that bbc america showed who at 6 p.m. with 20 or so ads for torchwood. Torchwood was promoted to the hilt on their website, commercials and nice behind the scenes stuff during the commercial break. Who just was not given the bells and whistle marketing blitz that it deserved. They are now giving the same treatment to robin hood why can't they do this to their flagship show?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whofan

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:29 am

I don't have cable anymore. Dad was tired of it all. I sure don't miss comercials!!!!! She must be his girlfriend? or wife?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:21 pm

I thought the episode was great. Moffat managed to tease us with what would happen in this episode, next weeks, the season arc, and beyond. The "you look young" comment makes me wonder if RTD and SM plan on putting the Doctor through hell before bringing River back, if there will some kind of missing time between upcoming seasons, or if we're getting a subtle hint that Tennant's eventual replacement will be a little older.

If I had to guess, I would say that Moffat is setting up a story arc for his first year as Executive Producer/Head Writer. The "age" she mentions will come from the events of this season's finale and next year's specials. It might be a good idea to skip ahead a hundred years in the Doctor's timeline - get over Rose, leave some breathing room for books and audios to tell a few stories, and let Moffat start fresh.

I guess we'll see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whofan

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:14 pm

Does anyone know of any more books coming out for Doctor Who or Torchwood? :doc10:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:09 pm

yes whofan there are loads of books coming out....in october there are going to be more who books featuring donna. Torchwood will have more novels released in november this year.
Hopefully in 2009 with torchwood having only five eps and who with 4 they will dole out more books for starved fans next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:27 pm

This was a GREAT ep! I can't believe this type of story hasn't come up before(excluding the valeyard stuff) the Doctor actually meeting someone directly linked to his future. Bit of a tease as to what might happen in his future: Blue book, his laws, gift of sonic screwdriver,etc."Who turned out the lights!" is as classic as "Are you my mummy?". Skelton Dave was Awesome reminded me of the old scooby do villans with the look. I'm guessing saved will refer to the little girl/ the datacore consciousness will have saved occupants and Donna and safely removed them somewhere?
Can't wait til next week!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:34 am

What did Miss Evangelista about being "pleased"?
I reckon the people who were saved were turned into books in the biography section.
I fear that Moffat might be getting into a pattern with his Who episodes.
I liked the parts with the little grily best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
amagon

Number of posts : 2730
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:03 pm

Is it possible Professor Riversong is actually... The Rani? The thought of The Rani picking up The Master's ring, Riversong has Jack's gun, The Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver, knowing all about him....

She could be lying to him about everything, yet, how does she hide herself from being a Time Lady?

Just a thought before I go....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LakeErieMonster

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:36 pm

In the ep was the comment actually made that it was Jack's gun or is it just a similar device?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:07 pm

LakeErieMonster wrote:
In the ep was the comment actually made that it was Jack's gun or is it just a similar device?

I swear I read that on another message board, so unfortunately it stuck in my head. Although, did he have the sonic weapon on the space station when he came back from the dead?

scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:21 pm

Jack doesn't have it on Torchwood, so he must heave misplaced it somewhere.
I don't think River Song is the Rani because it would be a Yana repeat. She could be a Time Agent. It'd be nice to hear more about them since they've barely been referenced since Talons of Weng Chiang.
Are the Vashta Nerada related to the Shadow Proclamation or the Shade the Doctor found in Elton's home?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
LakeErieMonster

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:29 pm

This is way left field but I was wondering with the book she carried and referencing "his"(the doctor's) laws is it possible, due to time travel that the Doctor, whose name has never been known, could actually be Rassilon? I'm not up on my Timelord history and folklore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:15 pm

If you go by the books, The Other is part of him, who worked with Rassilon and Omega.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:15 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
What did Miss Evangelista about being "pleased"?

Good question.
I went back over that scene a couple of times and couldn't make out what she was saying her father told her.
Donna understood, so I assume I was supposed to, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silence in the Library   Today at 10:40 am

Back to top Go down

Silence in the Library
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: