Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

402:The Fires of Pompeii

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Rate This Episode
Fantastic!
61%
 61% [ 14 ]
Pretty Good
26%
 26% [ 6 ]
Average
13%
 13% [ 3 ]
Disappointing
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Horrible
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23

AuthorMessage
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: 402:The Fires of Pompeii   Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:28 pm

Please keep in mind that that this episode has already aired in the UK. This thread will probably contain LOTS of spoilers. If you don't want to ruin the fun, you may want to come back once the episode airs on SciFi in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AC Rempt

Number of posts : 830
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 402:The Fires of Pompeii   Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:57 am

I'm gonna be vague until the episode has gotten around a bit.

Now we're talking. Donna rocks in this episode. While the story itself wasn't that great, the character moments are what make it shine, and any reservations I may have had about Catherine Tate are out the door.

This was good Who.

"Tardis. Time Lord. Ya."
"Donna. Human. No."

Some great lines throughout.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sophiethedog.com
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618

PostSubject: Re: 402:The Fires of Pompeii   Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:07 am

Wow. That balanced out every bit of silliness in episode 1.

Fantastic baddies (they'll make great figures), hard decisions, beautiful sets, and more series foreshadowing (at least I think so).

Donna had a few of those awkward "how can you honestly not understand that you need to shut up" moments, but overall I think she's a perfect change of pace for the Doctor's companions.

Anyone else notice the 2nd reference to the shadow proclamation in as many episodes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: 402:The Fires of Pompeii   Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:39 am

Hey Don't read further if you have not seen...do not want to spoil anything or make you cry...

I loved this episode... it was all about making a choice. As I said a while back about Donna that she could be good...this episode will probably change a few doubters. Of course they throw in a the teasers like the prophets telling Donna to that there is something on her back...of course I'm thinking of Sarah and the spiders from Metabilus but I doubt that is the case. I was wrong about the Rani in the first eppy because I saw Ms. Foster with a Sonic but really a sonic device does not have to be a timelord thing...Cap't Jack had a sonic gun.

Oh yes cjs schmidt...the shadow proc. bits...I love the teasers they drive me crazy at times but it also gives one a reason to really pay attention to the little details either visual (rose, Henrick's) or verbally like Donna's prophecy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: 402:The Fires of Pompeii   Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:44 am

CJSchmidt wrote:

Anyone else notice the 2nd reference to the shadow proclamation in as many episodes?

I think this ties in with the foreshadowing. Two reference's now to the return of "she". A little less wow on this one since we actually saw who "she" is in the 1st ep. The part I like was that it did not overshadow anything else that was happening storywise. I wonder if this means we'll get an explanation or a chance to see the shadow proclamation since it seems to be a body like congress.

The part I think I enjoyed most was that Donna finally got to understand how hard the choices are that the Doctor has to make to mantain the flow of time, and that he's not just vengeful or vindictive in his actions.

An interesting tidbit too, on the Who site they now have Captain Jack's monster files, and they have a video on the pyrovile. Looks pretty good, sadly you still can't watch the episode on the site due to rights.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AC Rempt

PostSubject: Re: 402:The Fires of Pompeii   Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:04 pm

I think Donna works because the other companions tended to follow the Doctor without question, but she is asking the questions I hope I would in that situation.

She's also way in over her head, and while we'd like to think we'd be cool and not blow it when the Doctor is trying to tell us to shut up, I've been to enough parties with my sig oth where I said things I shouldn't even when she was giving me the evil eye.

It's a nice human element to remind us that the Doctor is absolutely not human without having him yell Time Lord over and over again. It reminds me of some of the exchanges between Sarah Jane and the 4th Doctor in Pyramids of Mars. He's so engaging, we forget who he really is.

As for the Shadow Proclamation, I remember Rose pulling it out of her hat when trying to face down the Sycorax. It would be cool if she actually knows that it is when she returns. Smile
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618

PostSubject: Re: 402:The Fires of Pompeii   Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:44 pm

Another item that might tie in: missing/lost/destroyed planets.
The Adaposian nursery planet, the Pyrovile planet, maybe even the Auton homeworld (which was mentioned the first time we heard about the shadow proclamation). Maybe whatever the Doctor used to destroy Gallifrey (Medusa Cascade?) is spreading across the universe. Maybe the Last Time Lord will have to answer for a terrible decision he had to make - maybe he'll have the opportunity to change his decision, or make it again.

ARRGHH!!! :-)

It amazes me how much depth this "family" show has compared to the "adult" Torchwood. I love it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AC Rempt

PostSubject: Re: 402:The Fires of Pompeii   Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:03 pm

Or maybe . . . Galactus!
Back to top Go down
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: 402:The Fires of Pompeii   Fri May 02, 2008 10:21 pm

Yeah you fellas are mentioning the shadow proclamation. Wonder what is the shadow proclamation...any guesses?

The only shadow in doctor who I remember was the shadow from the armageddon factor. Seriously doubt that one.

When they say she is back everyone assumes Rose and yes that is going to be true but there could be another she...
Mel returns!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhh!

As for the medussa cascade... a riddle with stone? Or let's be totally weird...remember rokenback(sp) falls you sherlock holmes fans.... could the medussa cascade be a grand finale later? Heck...I'm usually wrong...I do not have the sight...got to talk to the oracle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: 402:The Fires of Pompeii   Sat May 03, 2008 12:53 am

Could the shadow proc. have something to do with Black/White Guardians?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 402:The Fires of Pompeii   Wed May 14, 2008 9:32 pm

I liked how this episode was so cheesy yet it actually worked so well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: 402:The Fires of Pompeii   Thu May 15, 2008 9:15 pm

It was a nice slow build up of the plot...to the chaotic climax. It so so full of emotion. I went to the Field Museum in Chicago 2 yrs ago and they had a Pompeii exhibit- the memory of those plaster images of people trying to flee the disaster added chill factor for me for this episode. So far it is still my favorite of series 4.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nuggan

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-04

PostSubject: Re: 402:The Fires of Pompeii   Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:53 pm

greenk9 wrote:
Yeah you fellas are mentioning the shadow proclamation. Wonder what is the shadow proclamation...any guesses?

The only shadow in doctor who I remember was the shadow from the armageddon factor. Seriously doubt that one.

Oooh. OK. Since I'm a new Whovian, I figured the Shadow Proclamation was something as well known as The Master.

Great epi. Loved to see Peter Capaldi (The Thick of It & In the Loop as Malcom Tucker...fantastic character!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 402:The Fires of Pompeii   Today at 6:35 am

Back to top Go down

402:The Fires of Pompeii
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: