Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

sanctuary

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
timlord

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: sanctuary   Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:29 am

Anyone watch the sanctuary series on the web?its being picked up as a tv series.it stars amanda tapping as a hundred plus doctor who saves and gives sanctuary to all kinda monsters.it was interesting with bigfoot as the butler!amandas fake wig and weird accent were annoying at first.i kinda wish they had another star.always thought that actress kinda robotic in stargate not sure she can bring emotional depth into any role!hafta wait and see if she can pull off a series.all kinda sci fi stuff !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagePro

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: sanctuary   Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:16 am

Found it on DVD at comic con. VERY interesting project. I have to agree with Timlord. Amanda was a little stilted and didn't quite seem familiar with the role. The wig stinks and her accent is a little wonky. You get used to it after a while and over look it just to see how the story is going to pan out.

Can Amanda pull it off? Ditch the wig and cut back on the accent could be a start. Anything I'd say about those could be considered a plot spoiler, so I'll just say they are not really needed as the series progresses. The acting part might be just something that is really limited mostly by part of the background of the character (IMHO). BUT, again, I can't say more.

However, the guy playing her new assistant (Dunne - sort of a Shanks-clone) is really good. The other actors are pretty good as well (including the guy who plays Amanda's Ex). The gal they have playing her daughter even has some physical resemblence to her.

The DVD I have leaves it at a cliff hanger. Arrrrggggh! It's listed as Season 1. It does leave you wanting to know what happend and looking forward to more. I will say that 1 DVD should not contain a whole season as this one did. It seemed like it was only about 3 full hour episodes.

The quality and production values were very high. There was quite a bit of green screen work, but the quality was even better than Sky Captain.

I'll try and give an overview without throwing out any spoilers... Basically, it's a mix between The XMen and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that's set in a pseudo-Gotham world. Essentially, there is a modern city on one side of the river and a really old, darker part of the city on the other side.

Don't put too much thought into it, sit back and enjoy the ride. It's not a series to try and figure out what's going on.

I'm loaning my copy to Keith. I think he'll have yet another opinion.

- MagePro
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.WhoNA.com
Who North America

Number of posts : 5642
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: sanctuary   Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:23 pm

Magepro, welcome onboard!! Cannot wait to get our hands on this set Very Happy

Jany
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whona.realtvboard.com
captkirk42

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: sanctuary   Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:01 am

I've been watching it on Sci-fi Channel.

According to imdb.com episode listing they have been showing Season 2 episodes, this is because of it being webcast first (I didn't know it had been webcast before Sci-Fi got a hold of it and has supposedly re-edited for broadcast) The odd thing though is they have the episode descriptions in season one, without titles and the titles listed as series 2 without descriptions, but in a different order shown.

I'm kind of disappointed with this repackaging a webseries for regular
TV business, just release the seasons as intended directly to DVD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://klandersen.com
captkirk42

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: sanctuary   Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:28 pm

Update.

imdb.com has since corrected the confusion with the seasons thing. Season 1 DVD has been released, I have yet to pick it up, it has as extras the original Webcast episodes.

Season 2 is soon to be shown on SyFy network..
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://klandersen.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sanctuary   Today at 7:53 am

Back to top Go down

sanctuary
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: