Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

401: Partners in Crime

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Rate this episode
Fantastic!
50%
 50% [ 12 ]
Pretty Good
21%
 21% [ 5 ]
Average
17%
 17% [ 4 ]
Disappointing
12%
 12% [ 3 ]
Horrible
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

AuthorMessage
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: 401: Partners in Crime   Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:35 pm

Please keep in mind that that this episode has already aired in the UK. This thread will probably contain LOTS of spoilers. If you don't want to ruin the fun, you may want to come back once the episode airs on SciFi in a few weeks.

Last edited by CJSchmidt on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ozjenny

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2007-08-12

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:31 pm

Well, I liked it. Yes, it was a bit light and fluffy, but I needed that after the trauma of the Torchwood finale. pale And I shrieked at the end!
affraid You'll understand when you see it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AC Rempt

Number of posts : 830

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:00 am

I kinda shrieked. I mean, if you follow the series press, you knew eventually you see . . . But plenty of mystery to it, and I look forward to seeing that resolved.

Like most of the first stories of the season, it was okay, not great. It was silly, and I loved the meeting between Donna and the Doctor with them pantomiming at the windows.

My biggest issue was that the the stakes were never clear. I mean, sure it got nasty in parts, but I'd happily take the pill and lose some weight if they'd just ask, as would many others, I'm sure, so why even hide it? And then the fat leaves. Okay. Bye, fat. It made little sense to me.

I'm one of those who thinks this is DT's last season, but we'll see. He's had a great run, and I'm sure the rest of the season will be good. Just those pesky first episodes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sophiethedog.com
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:03 am

I quite liked it, especially the old friend at the end Very Happy, I jumped up and down, I haven't seen the Torchwood finale yet, I recorded it, but I accidently found out what happened.

I liked it better than 'New Earth' and 'Smith and Jones', wasn't as good as 'Rose' though (obviously!) As you said AC Rempt, I liked the conversation through the windows, and especially when Donna looked round and realised they had been seen, I laughed at that, I knew it would happen though. I also liked the window cleaner's lift scene when Miss Foster breaks the cable.

It didn't have enough action in it, that's what I thought anyway, but I loved the Adipose, they were adorable! I loved their little fang! I thought that the pill was a great plot. I also found out the idea about the necklace, by the time Donna had got to the customer's house. Also, I don't think we had enough background info, on the Adipose and Miss Foster, I'd would have liked to have heard more about what happened so we found out why they did this, we do know why but I'd like to have known more of the backstory.

Overall, it was pretty good. I have to disagree, I don't think this will be David Tennant's last season, I won't mind if he leaves, its his choice, I'll carry on watching the show. I bet the rest of the season will be fantastic, hopefully they'll have storylines just as good as this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:56 am

Pretty much agree with the comments made so far regarding this episode. As I had said in the past to give Donna a chance...well she really improved to me in my opinion. They toned her down...she kind of in a weird way reminds me of Velma on Scooby Doo. The comedy in this ep was top notch...I found myself just smiling an awful lot. I do not mind a light episode to kick off the show. If there is a proper balance between comedy and drama and sci fi... who should do well. As for the ending...wow did not expect that so soon. I think the bad wolf this year is not going to be words but a visual cue scattered in one or two episodes but not as prolific as in the past (like torchwood, torchwood, torchwood).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:55 pm

The episode what light fluff but I enjoyed it. Donna should turn out to be a fine companion for the Doctor (at least she ain't in love with him for a change). And the surprise at the end ties in with the theme of the series. Looking forward to the next episode.

The one gripe I have to say for the new series as a whole is that the format is too fixed (that is, when historical characters appear, the lite Doctor episode, restricted almost all the episode to Earth instead of traveling to other planets as they did with the old show). Maybe when series 5 arrives, there will be more variation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AC Rempt

Number of posts : 830

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:51 pm

The more I think about the episode, the less I like it. Here they have a character who is packing a sonic screwdriver-like device, and the whole idea is wasted. We've gone decades without another alien having such a thing, and here they use it as a throw-away, LITERALLY!

By the way, did he throw it away in the same bin as Donna threw her mom's keys? I so want this to lead to something and not just be wasted!

The nanny was so a Rani knock off, and we should have had a kick ass Rani story. Blah. Silly story, but it's over now. Let's get on with the season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sophiethedog.com
CJSchmidt

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:36 pm

I liked it more than I thought I would. I still don't particularly like Donna, but I don't think we really need to. Its nice to see the Doctor face a new type of relationship with his companion. I don't think this is David's last season, but I do think that RTD will try to make us think that it is - leading into something really big for next year's specials. I don't see think they'll introduce a entirely new Doctor during a semi-hiatus season. Well see soon enough, I imagine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJSchmidt

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:40 pm

Anyone want to take bets on how long it will take to get "life size" adipost stuffed doll?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:55 pm

CJS-Anyone want to take bets on how long it will take to get "life size" adipost stuffed doll?...

I would sure want one...as a reminder to lose weight the proper way. Oh sorry the little girl in me finds them cute...nice fluffy start...the wait is finally over. Bring on series 4.

As for Tennant...I think he will probably leave in the x-mas special in 09. I'm just enjoying the messy hair fella as long as we can get him. When the time comes for a new doc I'll welcome him with open arms.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:26 am

Sci Fi gets the new series in two weeks along with Sarah Jane Adventures and Galactica, a reason to stay home on friday apart from gas costing an arm and a leg!

Now to wait for showtime to put on Secret Diary of a Call Girl, although I have seen it already, it is quite good
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:01 pm

It's going to be interesting to see what gets cut since this eppie ran for over 48 minutes when they've run about 44 in the past.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:50 am

CrochetOwl wrote:
The one gripe I have to say for the new series as a whole is that the format is too fixed (that is, when historical characters appear, the lite Doctor episode, restricted almost all the episode to Earth instead of traveling to other planets as they did with the old show). Maybe when series 5 arrives, there will be more variation.

You won't have to wait until series 5, because we visit 6 alien planets this year. The Ood-Sphere (Ep 3), Midnight (Ep 10) and some other ones, but I think I read somewhere that one of the 6 planets we is only mentioned, we don't actually go to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dalek Sec

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2007-08-31

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:01 pm

DoctorOlly wrote:
CrochetOwl wrote:

You won't have to wait until series 5, because we visit 6 alien planets this year. The Ood-Sphere (Ep 3), Midnight (Ep 10) and some other ones, but I think I read somewhere that one of the 6 planets we is only mentioned, we don't actually go to it.

Spoiler:

Liked the new episode, especially the bit where the Doctor and Donna are miming, now that was hilarious! Can't wait for Pompeii and the Sontarans!

Daleks have no concept of comedy I must EXTERMINATE! (activates self destruct) :dalek:
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/dalek_sec
forbidden_moose

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:11 am

the adipose were cute, Rose was brill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:09 am

forbidden_moose wrote:
the adipose were cute, Rose was brill

We didn't want to say anything about Rose in case someone accidently stumbled onto this post, but if they don't want to hear spoilers they're in the wrong place!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:28 pm

i thought it was fantastic.i loved the little adipose.they was so cute.i really hope they make a miss foster figure with sonic pen and little adipose figures that would be size of her foot lol
Back to top Go down
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:03 pm

Anyone else notice that Gramps was the newspaper box guy from VOTD? I didn't either until now, just finished rewatching VOTD and had a wait a minute moment, popped on this ep and sure enough, same character, complete with hat.

After rewatching rest of this episode, I'm left with more questions though. In "School Reunion" K-9 couldn't break a dead seal lock, in any episode the Doctor's sonic screwdriver can't break a dead lock, yet Ms. Foster's pen could break a dead lock seal on the building and again on a triple dead lock on her system, so why pitch it? It sounds more powerful than the screwdriver, why not use it to modify the screwdriver? I know, it's all fluff, the pen must just have been keyed in to the seals and was able to access it because she programmed the seals with her pen. Okay, so how could the pen break the lock the Doctor made on the window wash lift? It didn't program the lock, but it broke it, so again the pen is mightier, why not keep it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:37 pm

I thought it was great that the doctor put down guidelines with Donna which he never did with Rose or Martha, maybe he's learned from the past. no Nightengale effect going here Donna just want the experience of travelling with him, I think she will be fine. R appearing was really such a tease and I'm just going to pretend it didn't happen otherwise my mind will race in every direction trying to figure out what's going to be happening. Pre DW SJS- did everyone catch the nod to the sontarens from the old lady. SJS probably only because it has to embraces it DW heritage and my son admited he almost likes it better than DW. Easier for him to digest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mumbojumbo21

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:24 pm

Donna's character was certainly more "palatable" than her first appearance.

The Adipose babies were cute.

Someone on another board had mentioned that if Donna hadn't been involved, no one would have probably died since the Nanny was trying to keep it as quiet as possible. When that one person witnessed what happened, she had no choice but to kill her. Plus, when the Doctor was revealed, the Nanny accelerated the process for full transformation of people. If both of them hadn't involved themselves, the Nanny probably would've finished what she wanted to do and leave (or die anyway for that matter) and many fat blokes would've become thinner. It certainly evokes the thought that despite good intentions, bad things can happen because of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.libriumarcana.com/phpBB2/
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:38 am

one of the best scenes of all time...when Donna reunites with the Doctor. I was wondering about Gramps...he does not have a first name...wonder if he is going to be someone...noticed a pin on his hat...was that a unit pin? Plus there will be some significance to the doc and donna pitching stuff in the garbage bin. As for Rose...that was a huge surprise...she was wearing a purple leather jacket...is it really rose or the bad wolf? Or or or...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh red herrings as Poriot would say.

Fire of Pomei...just you wait kids this one is a real gem!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nuggan

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-04

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:46 pm

Backstory was cheesy, yes. But the scene where they're miming to each other through the window was hilarious as was this:

Doctor: I just want a mate.

Donna: You just want TO mate!

Doctor: A mate! A mate!

LOL. Tate is hilarious. I still expect her to start into some of her classic characters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nuggan

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-04

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Also: I wouldn't mind popping out a few those cute things if it meant I lost a few stone. LOL!

(I just wouldn't want to see it happen)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 401: Partners in Crime   Today at 10:43 am

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: