Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Tom baker box sets pre order

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Winter

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2016-02-23

PostSubject: Tom baker box sets pre order   Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Some online retailers now have a listing for: TOM BAKER the complete 1st season!!! It looks as though the BBC will be testing the waters with the 4Th Doctor and continue on with more classic doctors should sales prove rewarding... The Sylvester McCoy years complete collection was released in Germany as a Limited 1500 copies set (region free) I am assuming in order of release should Tom sell well Pertwee and Davis would be next, but who knows. If anything at 59.99 this is an excellent way to get Classic Who hard copies for anyone who either doesn't have them yet or the Wise Collector who would love to get their hands on backup discs for a great price! Not to mention they will be in box sets!

Last edited by SeaDevil on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : remove online competitor names)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom baker box sets pre order   Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:32 pm

I will post cover art the moment they release official cover unless someone beats me to it😀
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 6407
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Tom baker box sets pre order   Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:57 pm

Ohhh yeahhhhh...I forget WhoNA posted about this before Christmas....looks like a March 20th release.

http://whona.realtvboard.com/t3263-new-dvd-release-dates#220050

Totally slipped my mind.  Must've been the eggnog. drunken

I wonder if, or how many of, the DVD special features will be imported over to the blu release...?

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ted47

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Tom baker box sets pre order   Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:45 pm

I will get this but I'm curious about it being "blu ray"

I thought they could not convert video tape to blu?

But no matter I would get this. It would also save space!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6016
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Tom baker box sets pre order   Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:04 pm

I'm assuming its just a direct port of the dvds to blu ray. No actual HD.

Will have to see once someone out there finally posts specs on this release.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Krynoid

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Tom baker box sets pre order   Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:42 am

There are "SD" blu-rays out there. Don't ask me why, but they're there.

For TV series, it's a good idea as you could get 5 full DVD9's on a single BD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1068
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Tom baker box sets pre order   Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:46 pm

IN R2 land you can also get the 8th Doctor TV move as a Blue Ray DVD but its also been up converted from SD to BD so I don't see the point if you have the original DVDs on the shelf
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rogue

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Tom baker box sets pre order   Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:07 am

DVD being much more limited than BD, I would hope that a BD release would do away with any pixellation or whatever it's called.  I hope these sets aren't just a transfer of the DVD to a BD.  And I'm kind of mad that I bothered to grab a bunch of titles in the past couple years trying to play catch-up since they started going out of print.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1068
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Tom baker box sets pre order   Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:44 am

Well I can tell you BBC World Wide America is NOT remastering everything from the original elements for a Blue Ray release. That would involve rescanning all the individual film sequences (where available in HD). They are simply upscaling the DVD Masters to Blue Ray. They would also need to have accesses to all the original elements that are in the UK and with various collectors who donated a lot of the film sequences back to the Doctor Who Restoration Team when the DVD release was being produced
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6016
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Tom baker box sets pre order   Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:50 am

to me it seems bleak either way.

1) fans that dont have any DW and want to start

2) fans that have them, but are willing to swap out to save space (assuming extras are included in the blus)

3) fans that have some on dvd, but would prefer series sets with blu

for fans that have them all already, i dont think many would be willing to double dip just to save space (i personally love to see rows and rows of videos myself)

i would think most die hard fans that would want them already have them all by now... so sales are mostly gonna be based off of fans that dont have any, or are not close to being complete.

even then... theres just no guarantee that we will get every season for every doc. if this release flops, so much for that. we might get all of tom, but once a less popular doc starts, chances are greater the blu line will collapse.
they put out avengers series 5 on blu... then, nothing. so much for trying to get a complete run of Emma much less the other series.

for me, ive been getting the UK releases, since they are so much cheaper (and all still in print). still have about 100 to go... but im not gonna stop those and go all in on these new blus. i will get the blu and see how it looks, but if the blu line doesnt have the extras, or it comes to a premature end... i still have the dvds and can sell off the blus.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom baker box sets pre order   Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:29 pm

If they release all of Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee then I will be completely satisfied. I would love these on Blu-ray as a second set of backups. (Already own everything except the Two doctors, I refuse to pay more than $100.00 for an episode) I will purchase every one of the Blu-ray sets They offer... As well as keep my dvd sets...on a completely different note, maybe one day someone will write some software that automatically takes grainy images and tightens them to sharper definitions. If i had the time and money I would love to scan every episode and break it down into 24 frames a second, then I would hand draw over each frame in gray scale and stack them on top each other and rescan them together...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Tom baker box sets pre order
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Product Discussion :: Home Media & Multimedia-
Jump to: