Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

David Bradley in The First Doctor Adventures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 6287
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: David Bradley in The First Doctor Adventures   Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:37 pm

Coming from Big Finish...

Available in December, the stories in The First Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 consist of:
• 1.1 The Destination Wars by Matt Fitton
• 1.2 The Great White Hurricane by Guy Adams

And to follow in July 2018, Doctor Who: The First Doctor Adventures – Volume 2:
• 2.1 The Invention of Death by John Dorney
• 2.2 The Barbarians and the Samurai by Andrew Smith

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/09/david-bradley-to-play-first-doctor-for.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1019
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley in The First Doctor Adventures   Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:09 pm

I am now wondering if we can expect to see recasts of say Ian Marter and some of the other actors who have passed away.

I think this sends a bit of a message to William Russell and Carol Ann Ford about the future BF is going on with the range.

I had hoped to see David Bradley do a set of adventures just like this but with Ben and Polly as that is an area of the program  that BF have not yet explored.  Still if this is successful it opens up recasting to a whole new level.

One  hopes that this will not have an impact on the early adventures
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stanlow

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley in The First Doctor Adventures   Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:58 pm

Pointless endeavor, IMHO. At least 90% of the appeal to the Big Finish stories is the original actors and actresses reprising their roles. Good news for those who disagree or like this sort of thing, but I frankly don't see the point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley in The First Doctor Adventures   Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:19 pm

Big Finish is trying to expand there sales by doing this. I can see recasting people who have passed away for example Elliot Chapmen to fill a hole and open up some new story possibilities but recasting an entire TARDS team when 2 of the 4 are still alive is a bit of a gamble.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winter

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2016-02-23

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley in The First Doctor Adventures   Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm in!!!  Love David Bradley's performances! Harry Potter, Broadchurch, and his portrayal of William Hartnell in Adventure in time and space. Totally picking this up... Maybe if sales are outstanding someone in the BBC might get the bright idea to do a live action Spin-off starring Bradley and reshooting some if not all of the missing Hartnell episodes! To think I could watch Marco Polo, and then if ever any of the Original missing episodes turn up then their would be two versions and that would be cool. The classic Tardis set already exists and the actors already cast!... How is this not a made show already?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2193
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley in The First Doctor Adventures   Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:18 pm

stanlow wrote:
Pointless endeavor, IMHO. At least 90% of the appeal to the Big Finish stories is the original actors and actresses reprising their roles. Good news for those who disagree or like this sort of thing, but I frankly don't see the point.

I'd have to agree with enjoying the original voices as the main draw for audios. William Russel's Ian is such a good character and Carol Ann Ford's Susan actually doing something in a story is refreshing. I'm always wanting more of the originals. There isn't much Steven remaining in the vaults, but Peter Purves' 1st Doctor is great. If only they'd manage Jackie Lane for a boxset we'd get a whole new look at an otherwise forgotten year.

I did give the 9th Doctor Boxset a try and Nick Brigg's 9th is rather amusing. You certainly know who he's intended to be. The Churchill set worked best when the Doctor isn't present and they don't have to work around the missing voice. But in another 20 years we likely won't have any of the 1960's or 1970's crew still active. I may not be super interested in this David Bradley set now, but check again in 10 years and I'll be thrilled to have more 1st Doctor Era audios to enjoy. And even now with the loss of Deborah Watling and the new "Ben" I think we'll get more 2nd Doctor Year 1 that's been missing up until now. The 3rd Doctor boxsets have been better than expected. So I'm slowly coming around to accepting these re-casts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: David Bradley in The First Doctor Adventures   Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Sadly a good point is David Bradley is a few years younger than my father so sadly he won't be around for ever either. A fair point to get them now while they are available cause your right in 10 years they many not be and we will definitely have a lot less of the 70's actors around
Back to top Go down
View user profile

David Bradley in The First Doctor Adventures
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Product Discussion :: Audios, Books & Comics-
Jump to: