Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
j3h

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2014-03-25

PostSubject: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:59 am

More twelve coming and Thirteen coming next fall

http://downthetubes.net/?p=39091
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amckinney

Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 2010-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Given how little product they seem to be getting out there these days, this announcement doesn't really inspire much confidence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

Number of posts : 994
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:52 pm

Wow they kept a license so we get more repaints of twelve and I am sure between Jo Grant, Sarah Jane Missy plus any Primeval figures they made in the 5 inch scale they will find a way to reuse something.

Based on there dedication to the product the past 4 years this announcement does not inspire any confidence
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amckinney

Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 2010-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:17 pm

The website name in the link says it all (probably unintentionally so): "down the tubes".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tboneterry2

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:08 pm

With articles BBC has posted about the change, and there trying to get away from classic fans. I'm wondering how much of that politics has been getting into Charecter Options toy line. There is a lot of interest in the Classic Toy Line. I have started doing the Eaglemoss stuff and they are doing things CO never did. CO did give us a lot great stuff what we did get, lots of missed opportunities to.. But they and the BBC are both not comfortable with the Classic fan base. That's the Gorilla in the closet.That was very apparent going into the 50th anniversary. Lots of huge missed opportunities there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ASMDaniel

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2010-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:46 am

I've totally lost track these days. Is there anything new out in the last year or so apart from two 12th Doctor hoodie figures, 10th in Tux, the 13 Doctors set, and three Missy variants?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 6244
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:34 am

YES!

This great Third Doctor set...a North American exclusive for WhoNA...

http://www.whona.com/5-3rd-Doctor-Jo-Grant-and-the-Master-Figure-Set_p_5509.html

...and I don't remember when the 12th Doctor's Flight Control TARDIS came out...

http://www.whona.com/5-Scale-Electronic-Flight-Control-TARDIS-12th-Doctor-Version_p_3450.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ASMDaniel

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Right, that one I did get -- forgot it was less than a year ago. Thanks for the reminder!

Wish I'd managed to snag the alternate Jo sculpt as well, but alas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:36 pm

ASMDaniel wrote:
Right, that one I did get -- forgot it was less than a year ago. Thanks for the reminder!

Wish I'd managed to snag the alternate Jo sculpt as well, but alas.

which alternate Jo sculpt?

They still have the Three Doctors set and the Claws of Axos set, too...there was just those three Jo figures...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ASMDaniel

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:47 pm

The smiling versus serious faces in the Third Doctor 3-pack. WhoNA had a few with the rarer one available, but things got a little confused and I ended up missing out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:51 pm

OH!!  THAT'S RIGHT!!!!

Yeah...that was a tough catch...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Well renewing there license keeps there options open for sure but correct me if I am wrong but does not that license cover other things besides the 3.75 and 5.5 inch line. They could release non action figures instead?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:03 pm

Yeah they do other things too...plush, sonic screwdrivers...a whole host of other toys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:12 pm

And if I remember correctly they are still releasing sonics? and other goodies

Come to think of it I only have the third Doctor one, must look into some of the others one of these days
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:15 pm

No time like the present...

http://www.whona.com/SONIC-SCREWDRIVERS_c_230.html

Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:20 pm

Still waiting on my Titan Comic books to be delivered from WHONA , when I checked the tracking thing this morning they had left the Indiana Postal Distribution Center. Now what is funny my Eaglemoss Order which also shipped on Monday from New Jersey also left the Indiana Postal Distribution Center at the same time. Makes you wonder why an order going from New Jersey to West Virginia would go threw Indiana.

and no idea where my Amazon Big Finish Order is they don't provide tracking numbers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Larryw3158

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:52 pm

ASMDaniel wrote:
The smiling versus serious faces in the Third Doctor 3-pack. WhoNA had a few with the rarer one available, but things got a little confused and I ended up missing out.

Sorry, I still can't tell from your post. Is it the smiling or serious face that's the rarer one?

Thanks,
Larry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 pm

I think the neutral face was rarer? I can't remember, and I have them both.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackarrow

Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:46 pm

The serious Jo was the rarer of the two; I have both as well, and I remember asking for the Serious Jo version.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:52 pm

My Titan third and fourth Doctor Comic #2- #5 for Jon Pertwee and issue 5 for Tom Baker arrived today in the mail right before work. Thanks WHONA

Are there any more 3rd and 4th Doctor comics I might have over looked?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
j3h

Registration date : 2014-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Ok, so in the US, what used to be Underground Toys is now called Seven20 or "Seven20life" which is their Twitter name. They are the US distributor for Doctor Who action figures, presumably produced by Character Options.
They currently have no figures at SDCC, but they state "Stay Tuned" when asked it they will have figures (specifically asked about action figures) and implied later this year.

It could be US releases of the figures from earlier this year, or maybe it's whatever Character has planned as stated in its license renewal statements.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:25 am

Stay tuned is a polite way for the people assigned to the convention to cover for the fact that there bosses at U T have not informed them of any new products. I will bet the booth was pre purchased well in advance
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thebreen

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:47 pm

Didn't they already announce this weeks ago, BEFORE the announcement of the 13th Doctor? I'm certain they did, as I recall we were discussing it on this forum. I can't find the thread now. I can't be the only one who remembers this.

I remember thinking it was a shrewd business move to retain the license, even if they hadn't done much with it lately. This would protect them 'just in case' the show jumped in popularity again after the new Doctor was announced, and prevent possible competitors from snagging the license from under their noses.

I wonder why it's being 're-announced'?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rogue

Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement   Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:58 pm

You're not crazy, I also remember that, and some of the discussion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Character renews Who License after 13th's announcement
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Product Discussion :: Toys & Releases-
Jump to: