Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Anyone Rip Their DVDs? I Can't Rip Robot And I Need Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Krynoid

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Anyone Rip Their DVDs? I Can't Rip Robot And I Need Help   Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:22 am

I have been (slowly) ripping my Dr Who DVDs to the MP4 format (for backup and ease of access). I use DVD Decrypter and Vidcoder to do the job.

I have run into an issue reading one of the VOB files from the Robot DVD.

I am wondering if anyone else would have a go at ripping the file from their DVD for me?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Rip Their DVDs? I Can't Rip Robot And I Need Help   Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:25 am

Nobody can help me? No-one has the DVD?

I can walk you through the process if you feel so inclined...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
digby

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2007-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Rip Their DVDs? I Can't Rip Robot And I Need Help   Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:17 pm

Krynoid wrote:
Nobody can help me? No-one has the DVD?

I can walk you through the process if you feel so inclined...

I ripped all of my DVDs on a friend's Mac, he had two different programs. If one didn't work I'd use the other!

I can't remember their names off the top of my head, I'll look them up tonight when I get home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.toweroftechnobabble.com
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Rip Their DVDs? I Can't Rip Robot And I Need Help   Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:28 pm

I've nearly completed the job. Only 3 Peter Davison titles left (1-3, 6-8 already done). Robot was the only DVD barring the 3 remaining (knock on wood) that had any problems out of about 150 or so. Very annoying.

Interesting note on ripping the DVDs is that you find easter eggs on the disc that you didn't / couldn't find when playing the disc in your DVD player.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Who North America

Number of posts : 5671
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Rip Their DVDs? I Can't Rip Robot And I Need Help   Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:28 pm

I use MakeMKV to rip the disk, then I use Handbrake to convert the ripped MKV file into MP4.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whona.realtvboard.com
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Rip Their DVDs? I Can't Rip Robot And I Need Help   Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:39 pm

I'm no expert but converting the DVD files to MKV and then converting again to MP4 is one extra step and is also creating a compressed video file from an already compressed video file. Like a second generation VHS copy...

Vidcoder lets you rip straight from the DVD files to either MKV or MP4.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Who North America

Number of posts : 5671
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Rip Their DVDs? I Can't Rip Robot And I Need Help   Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:49 pm

Yeah, but MakeMKV is essentially lossless in my experience and gets around most if not all issues. But that is my preference. Handbrake is great for creating MP4s for other reasons. You would have to compare side by side, but I have been happy with the results on my high def tvs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whona.realtvboard.com
Ben C.

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2014-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Rip Their DVDs? I Can't Rip Robot And I Need Help   Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Agree with WhoNA - I use the same method; MakeMKV to rip lossless and remove all 'issues', then Vidcoder to compress to desired mp4 and decomb (*really* beneficial for a recent rip I did of the 1981 HGttG DVDs). Haven't encountered an issue yet after many rips of a variety of DVDs and Blu-Rays in my collection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Rip Their DVDs? I Can't Rip Robot And I Need Help   Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:05 pm

I tried MakeMKV to rip Robot. It did do a better job of "issues" but there was some things it couldn't deal with. It turns out it's the disc not the program.

MakeMKV does seem like a good program. Do youguys know if it can it isolate 5.1 tracks? DVDDecrypter can. I've been making WAV files of the isolated music tracks. Despite there being some titles available in stereo on CD, like Terror Of The Zygons, all the music files from the DVDs have been mono (well for Dr4 and Dr5) and the 5.1 ones don't separate the music completely, there is still some dialogue in the tracks.

Funny after converting all of the classic series, Robot was the only funky disc. If I want a new DVD, it's selling for $90 on Amazon.ca, who were kind enough to tell me that I bought it in August of 2007. Nearly 10 years ago to the day!

Another thing I noticed is that after encoding the MP4s with the Production Note subtitles, my TV does not see them. I don't know how to convert subtitles to SRT files...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Anyone Rip Their DVDs? I Can't Rip Robot And I Need Help
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Product Discussion :: Home Media & Multimedia-
Jump to: