Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

S10E12: The Doctor Falls (SPOILERS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

S10E12: The Doctor Falls
AWESOME!!
75%
 75% [ 6 ]
Good!
13%
 13% [ 1 ]
Okay...
12%
 12% [ 1 ]
Bad!
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
AWFUL!!
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 6215
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: S10E12: The Doctor Falls (SPOILERS)   Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:55 am

Discuss!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krynoid

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: S10E12: The Doctor Falls (SPOILERS)   Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Well...........

What an interesting ending! I'm glad they "kept that out of the papers".

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr_WhoTMNTfan

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2015-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S10E12: The Doctor Falls (SPOILERS)   Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:40 pm

That was a lot better than expected. I can't wait for Christmas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rogue

Number of posts : 915
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: S10E12: The Doctor Falls (SPOILERS)   Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:41 pm

Well, that was a nice finish to the story.  It was funny that the people had shotguns and Nardole was like, OK here, now it blows things up.  They're like, how??  And he's just like, we're on a spaceship.  It was neat to see the Cybermen change through to newer versions, with the whole time differential thing, but it would have been a great opportunity to see more old versions (Invasion, Earthshock).  I do have to wonder how the Mondasian Cybermen managed to survive, or stayed at their first stage of development, after all the explodey field action.

I loved the Bill / Cyberman scenes, where she still thinks she's human, and wondering why everyone backs away from her.  And the butt joke.  It showed that she kept good humor despite her situation.  Bill getting a chance to live after being a Cyberman kind of smacked of the previous series' ending with Clara, but at least there's a chance Bill can decide to become human again, and go back to a normal life someday.  It was a nice tie-in to the first episode of this season, at least.

Missy stabbing herself... himself?  And The Master shooting himself... herself??  That was very Master-y, especially with Missy so adamantly wanting to help the Doctor.  It almost goes without saying that this won't be the last we'll see of the Master.  I know Michelle Gomez said she's stepping down from the role, but the Master has cheated death so many times.  It's his thing.  And I'll bet Missy remembers the laser screwdriver thing, since she also remembered the TARDIS circuit.  Maybe she de-tuned the screwdriver when the Master wasn't looking.  Though that blast looked pretty serious, like Dalek-weapon level.

The eyeliner Laughing

The Doctor suppressing his regeneration, and declaring once again "I don't want to change!" was interesting.  The 10th Doctor held his back for quite a while.  The "Doctor!"  "Doctor!"  "Doctor?" scenes from past companions was a nice call-back to the original series.  I might have preferred it to be held back for the "final" regeneration scene.  But he's gonna regenerate no matter what.  He can have the flashbacks anytime during that process, I guess.

And... the original!!  I can't wait for this Christmas special!  I liked Bradley as Hartnell in Adventure in Space & Time.  I had recently read an article about using David Bradley to bring back the 1st Doctor for the Christmas special.  That we might see another side to the 1st Doctor's final story in the special.  I hope so... it could tie into the Tenth Planet story as well as this season finale two-parter.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-06-24/did-doctor-who-just-hint-at-a-major-rumour-about-the-christmas-special

While it was a rough ride with Steven Moffat, at least he's going out with a bang.  Christmas can't come fast enough santa Don't let us down, writer of The Girl in the Fireplace and Blink!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2186
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S10E12: The Doctor Falls (SPOILERS)   Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:00 am

It was okay. Not a disappointing train-wreck of a resolution like some years, but at the same time Moffat went so, so far down into crazy inescapable danger that he just had to pull out a "magic water girl from episode 1 suddenly pops up and saves the Doctor and Bill". The Master double crossing was nice (and certainly not fatal if Missy remembered to wear a "lazer-proof" corset).

How did the Doctor survive several direct blasts from the Cyberman? How was the Doctor not incinerated in the level explosion? The scene with the mirror was nice, but I'm not sure if it was good enough to overlook much of the rest of the episode. Maybe once Moffat is no longer the boss the new producer will be able to save chunks of his dialogue, but take a red pen to the rest of the script and whip it into shape.

Snow, a re-cast 1st Doctor, Christmas, regeneration? It will certainly be an interesting Christmas episode this year. "The Tenth Planet" always suffered from an inexplicable final episode where Hartnell gets back from sick leave and suddenly just knows Mondas will explode. It's always been ripe for fan fiction to explain what happened (especially bizarre multi-Doctor fan-fic), so I'd be shocked if that's the way Moffat decides to end his reign.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior

Number of posts : 3984
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S10E12: The Doctor Falls (SPOILERS)   Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:23 pm

holy crap that was good. . .the way it went back to the first episode. . .the first doctor. . .the whole regeneration denial. . .loved it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9563
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S10E12: The Doctor Falls (SPOILERS)   Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:06 pm

I really enjoyed that. Both episodes. I agree that it would have been awesome if the Cybermen had had an Earthshock or Moonbase version. But three versions were still cool! And now, we have had three incarnations of the First Doctor! I can't wait until Christmas!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 6215
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: S10E12: The Doctor Falls (SPOILERS)   Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Great ending to a great season! Personally, I think it was the most consistently good since series 4.

I really hate to see him go...but looks like the Christmas special should be epic!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: S10E12: The Doctor Falls (SPOILERS)   Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:47 pm

This season has REALLY impressed me. What a finale for the Moffat era!!!! And I am sad to see Capaldi go, but man, he's had some great stories. Sad, triumphant, epic, amazing season finale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1072
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: S10E12: The Doctor Falls (SPOILERS)   Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:45 am

Just watched and after cursing Moffat most of the way due to the morbid nature of the episode because of Bill's final fate, it was the final 60 seconds that made me jump with excitement.
The 2 Masters were great but underutilized to their full potential and there "death's" were left waaaay to vague.If I had my way I would have had SimMaster kill Missy after being stabbed with Missy then regenerating into a young Yana.Then SimMaster would later regenerate into the new model later.

The Doctor was mostly useless imo for most of the way and honestly I'm not sorry to see him go.I rolled my eyes when he said he "didn't want to go",whatever.

The story seemed to be a rehash of a lot of older episode plots.
The Black Hole was cool but Impossible Planet.
Bill as Cyberman not cool and Asylum of the Daleks.
Cybermen were very cool but shades of Death in Heaven.
Battle for the children and regeneration had hints of Time of the Doctor.
The Doc trying to reach Missy as a "friend" and getting Bill killed made me think back to when he tried that crap with Davros too and failed miserably in season 9.

So what did I love to see?

Simm was great and I wanted so much more of him.Loved the beard!
Bill was great and she was a big highlight of season 10 for me. I'm glad her final fate wasn't as a Cyberman but the fix was a bit halfassed.

And the last 60 seconds with David Bradley reprising his First Doctor was the BIG PAYOFF for me. Sooooo coool.Can't wait!!!!

If I truly had my way,I'd have Capaldi regenerate into Bradley and restart the whole thing all over again.

Christmas with 2 Doctors will be a great Xmas indeed (if Moffat doesn't screw it up)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ted47

Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: S10E12: The Doctor Falls (SPOILERS)   Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:52 pm

Clara was in denial when she was a Dalek and the same thing with Bill as a Cyberman.

I think The Master should have his own show somehow. His performance was much
better than before. He was more sinister rather than just plain crazy.

But all in all, I did like the episode. But the season for me had ups and downs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

S10E12: The Doctor Falls (SPOILERS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: